Echo horsepower -from Yamabiko

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking that the Echo numbers posted are real world with the carb adjustments socked down to meet emmisions requirements. Turn them little screws a bit to make the saw run right and you get more power. Mine did, all three of them.
I use Stihl saws all day at work, 260s, 261s, 362s and an 038 magnum. They are ok but for the price you think they would run better and longer with less down time. When I bought my own saws I got Echos. Tuned right they are just as good as any other, better than most. For a little saw the 370 has a surprising amount of power. The 341, when outfitted with a proper chain cuts very well and seems to have plenty of power contrary to the claims otherwise. On the larger end, the 680 has excellent power and a very wide power band. It will pull a 27" bar with Oregon 72 chain full tilt right to the hilt in red oak. The muffler on this one is just a sheet metal box with a couple holes in it, no cat, not much to modify. All of them are very torquey, much more so than any comparable Stihl. Even the dealer who sold me the 680 commented about it being a "torque monster". It was the first one he had seen with the 2012 production changes as its not a normal stocking item and he really liked it.

As for HP numbers in general, most engine makers play games to inflate the numbers. There is no guarantee that any claimed number is real. There was a large lawsuit against certain small engine and tractor manufacturers recently that left no doubt this is true. Besides, HP isn't where its at, it means nothing, it is not what gets the work done. So what if the hp is "only" 4.2 or whatever. If the torque curve is higher and flatter, that where the dfference is and why Echo saws cut better.

I stopped by Home Depot this evening looking for a pouch to carry an axe, wedges, scrench and files. I found what I was looking for and then took a look at the saws they carried. The Echos were present from CS310 through the CS600. The 45cc saw does have a metal lower, BTW. Both the 310 and 600 have inboard clutches. The 600 uses a rim sprocket and the 310 a spur. IIRC, the 45cc had an outboard clutch with rim. The 600 appears to be a very well made saw(bar marked "Made in Canada"), but seemed close to a 272/372/MS440 in weight. The spec says 13# so closer to the MS290, and its a TURD!:laugh:

No, the specs could be found a little here and there, if you really wanted to find them - but of course the Echo fans didn't want to do that. Actually it is obvious from how the Echo saws are built and ported that they can't put out much power, so we didn't really need the specs.

The brand either doesn't have a clue to how it should be done, or they just disrespect their costumers (and dealers) enough to not care. Clamshell style engines on saws that are claimed to be pro saws is another exemple - totally unacceptable, but they have fooled a few AS members by it! :taped:

I have two, they are not clamshells

I stopped by Home Depot this evening looking for a pouch to carry an axe, wedges, scrench and files. I found what I was looking for and then took a look at the saws they carried. The Echos were present from CS310 through the CS600. The 45cc saw does have a metal lower, BTW. Both the 310 and 600 have inboard clutches. The 600 uses a rim sprocket and the 310 a spur. IIRC, the 45cc had an outboard clutch with rim. The 600 appears to be a very well made saw(bar marked "Made in Canada"), but seemed close to a 272/372/MS440 in weight. The spec says 13# so closer to the MS290, and its a TURD!:laugh:

Bar/chain/rim sprocket are all made by Oregon. No surprise there.

Does it matter? I mean seriously who gives a rats azzz!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Funny, unlike most of the bashers, I own and run Stihl and Echo saws and regularly run Huskys. I honestly don't have any issues with the Echos. Out in the real world, sawing wood, they do just fine. If they didn't, I wouldn't keep them alongside the others. I just bought a new Echo top-handle today, and immediately put it into service with no complaints.

Last edited:
my big problem, and the only reason I would not buy one of the new series echo's is the detuned low compression design. I think they do it on purpose so that the product makes it through the 5 year warranty. It's also probably an emissions issue since they are still selling conventional design saws. The AT/strato saws are just making more power while meeting emission requirements. Husky engineered a fantastic solution. Echo will just put more cat mufflers on to meet the regs.

I listed for the most part the pathetic low compression ratio's in the last Echo thread, wasted an hour with the Echo rep yesterday, just to find out that basically nothing new, except the new top handle 355, they are having a hell of a time with the epa, he had no clue about AT,M-tronic and they are lost on the new fuel injected products, they have one hell of a distribution issue and know it, good bad or ugly they are soon going to be 3 to 5 years behind in technology. Lower compression, cat mufflers and lowering rpms is the way they are headed at the moment compared to the other two. It's sad they are going to run another good old brand into the dirt in the US market in the dealers, they are focused with tunnel vision on the big box, we're going to give it another year or two since we have been an Echo dealer over 30 years, but if things don't change, saws are gone out of our assortment, maybe a token to keep stringtrimmers and Shinny trimmers. Can't wait to the sales meeting next week, ebay ads are coming out and we're asking why they can sell cheaper than we can buy, why?

For a little saw the 370 has a surprising amount of power.

BOLLOX!

The 341, when outfitted with a proper chain cuts very well and seems to have plenty of power contrary to the claims otherwise.

BOLLOX!

the 680 has excellent power and a very wide power band.

BOLLOX!

All of them are very torquey, much more so than any comparable Stihl.

COMPLETE UTTER BOLLOX!

Besides, HP isn't where its at, it means nothing, it is not what gets the work done..

COMPLETE UTTER BOLLOX!

If the torque curve is higher and flatter, that where the dIfference is and why Echo saws cut better.

COMPLETE UTTER TOTAL BOLLOX!

Sigh... WOW does the echo brigade live in a little world of make-believe or what!!!!

It's always the same 4 echo bashers posting. Finally it gets old. Go bomb some other threads or say nothing at all. I have strong negative opinions about some chainsaws but I usually don't say anything because I believe it's rude.

It's always the same 4 echo bashers posting. Finally it gets old. Go bomb some other threads or say nothing at all. I have strong negative opinions about some chainsaws but I usually don't say anything because I believe it's rude.

not old yet. I still have fun doing it!

Ya gotta lighten up. We're talking about saws. Nobody slandered your grandma or punched your dog. Now that would be rude. If me making fun of a chainsaw by pointing out the way it's designed as compared to the competitions models causes anyone here emotional problems then I suggest that the internet in general may be too scary a place to visit for that person.

Sigh... WOW does the echo brigade live in a little world of make-believe or what!!!!

Thats funny. If the world had more narrow minded fools like this the earth would still be flat, the earth would still be at the center of the universe and we would still be burning witches at the stake.

flat_earth_society_membership_certificate3_zpsde12a7d2.png

you guys just don't give up do yah...i could go on and on and on and on about any manufacturer trust me. but i don't. lightening up is only doing so much. i would really like to have an echo thread that was educational where someone learns something or someone has a new reason for why the paper numbers are so low vs real world field tests.

i mean really all you guys did is claimed the death of the modern chainsaw with AT and strato a few short years ago, now a few companies don't have it and you've turned into a bunch of Stratofied AutoTune 15,000RPM torqueless pansies. i'll take my aweful low compression echo's and be one pull start non computer controlled happy:laugh:. the older poulans had "low" compression too when are you guys gonna start picking on them? there is so much more to an engine than compression. cross section radius's fluid dynamics, swirl, tumble, overlap, etc...

which would you rather have the Lower compression 350 sbc with cleaned up ports on L98 heads or a Higher compression 350 with TBI swirl-port truck heads...

Same here, no need to bash a brand or saw you don't like. I might take a jab at a MS170 once in a while but it actually deserves it and I do own one. Steve

It's pretty easy to ignore the bashers, considering the complete crap that comes flying out of their mouth. Acting like a complete ignorant doofus in public really doesn't help credibility.

I would be able to appreciate honest educated criticism if someone were articulate enough to discuss it, but right now this is like the rodeo with all the crap flying around the arena.

Back