Huskee/Speeco 22T won't start in the cold (even mild cold)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
add me to the list! peice of ####!!! been pullin on for 3 days! ive tried everything mentioned here. when the dang thing does fire, it runs for 2-3 seconds then stops. really pissin me off!!! o and today was 40 degrees. come on! these last three days are the first time ive had an issue. its always started in a couple pulls.

It oughta run when it is 40 out. You might have some dregs from the tank partially plugging the main jet. My experience is it's not the plug but some guys seem to be having luck by replacing it, cheap to try. Mine started today on pull one but I have one of these babys in the shop just begging for something to do, it wont be long.

laserieslg.jpg

new plug

So I ran the EZ start plug and it still would not fire without 8 or so primer pumps, not sure what the problem is but that's what I know

groundup,

It got somewhat better so now i bet yours is a gummy carb from all that trying to fire on a rough plug.
This will fix up that problem.

Run the tank of gas dry, may as well split while doing that.:)

Add a couple ounces of seafoam to the empty tank, remove the plug, prime as normal and pull the rip about 30 times, prime again, put the plug back in and leave it overnight that way.

Next day add gas and see how it goes.
First couple starts it might run like a dog or be a pain to start with all the deposits and seafoam trying to burn away.

If that doesn't get it running decent than you might have a lemon version engine or it needs proper service for a coil or carb problem.

aaronmach1,

Your symptoms are classic plug problems.
Take your plug out and have a look at the gap, i bet it's non existant.
Easy to squash the factory plug on this briggs engine so if you do discover it's the problem when you put a new plug back in dont crank it in to hard.

The plug that comes with the engine is softish and cheap and electrode not much better.

IMO other than the EZ start line of champion plugs i would never replace a champion plug with a champion plug.
They just are not what they used to be for plugs IMO.

Groundup . when my junk Briggs fires it will only run for a couple seconds and then quit , I have to be ready to hit the primer bulb real quick to keep it running or I'm pulling the rope again , I'll keep my finger on the primer and just give it a little push not a full push thats to much until it will run by itself , kind of acts like a choke .Have you tried this.

add me to the list! peice of ####!!! been pullin on for 3 days! ive tried everything mentioned here. when the dang thing does fire, it runs for 2-3 seconds then stops. really pissin me off!!! o and today was 40 degrees. come on! these last three days are the first time ive had an issue. its always started in a couple pulls.

You've changed plug and gas? If so do you have good compression? Have you tried to start without air cleaner on? Common on Briggs to start and run then die when filter is choking it. From there you're down to dirt in the carb if everything metioned before is okay.

Chug and Woody

Honestly I just give it 8 pumps and pull it and start splitting. It runs fine once started, just requires more than the 3x pumps.

I will give it a little seafoam and see what happens. However, I always run the tank dry after splitting, unless I know I'll be back on it the next day. I don't think it's a gummy carb because it's been like this since day one and is only a year old and again it's always run dry.

I am not real worried about it since it does start and run everytime

Like I have said before this vert. Briggs motor is the same that you find on mowers etc. Thus the downfall is it needs a choke. Other than that it is great for warm weather use.

groundup,

Sounds like it might be as good as it's going to get.
Seafoam will help clean things up for sure and tell you if the filter or carb was cloged if you see a change after, but it might be yours just likes lots of gas to start.
That could be as simple as your gas station adding methanol to gas, makes for a harder start on all equiptment.

I think what you are doing in running it until the gas is empty is the best idea for this splitter.
All small engines with gas hanging around is a bad idea.

(OP here...) I'll reiterate what I wrote earlier about what works best for me and my Huskee 22T:
1) Start with a clean and dry plug.
2) Push the primer 10+ times, push and release it slowly and be sure to push it all the way in (bare finger works best).
3) Slowly pull the rope until you feel that it's starting the compression stroke.
4) Place foot on splitter and pull HARD. If after 3 pulls it fails to catch, go back to step 1.
5) If the engine catches, immediately position your finger over the primer bulb and prepare to depress it at the first sign that it is starting to die. You mentioned that it will occasionally run for 2-3 seconds, hitting the primer in those cases may have saved it.

Yes, this is one unimpressive engine as far as cold weather starting goes. :angry::angry:

Guys this engine with no choke does not like cold weather, pull out your push mower with no choke and try to start it. exact same thing. I have a home made splitter horizontal briggs with a choke that does start cold. But in this weather I'm not splittin I'm burnin.:bang:

aaronmach1,

Your symptoms are classic plug problems.
Take your plug out and have a look at the gap, i bet it's non existant.
Easy to squash the factory plug on this briggs engine so if you do discover it's the problem when you put a new plug back in dont crank it in to hard.

The plug that comes with the engine is softish and cheap and electrode not much better.

IMO other than the EZ start line of champion plugs i would never replace a champion plug with a champion plug.
They just are not what they used to be for plugs IMO.
checked it a few times now. .020 its right where it should be. getting awesome spark.checked and the butterfly seems to be always full open at starting position. was able to hold it shut down some like a choke and had worse results...

Last edited:
Mine started and ran great yesterday after 3 pulls,40 degrees and aint been run in 2 months...2 logs left and I twisted the lift like a pretzel :bang:

but mine does have a choke.

(OP here...) I'll reiterate what I wrote earlier about what works best for me and my Huskee 22T:
1) Start with a clean and dry plug.
2) Push the primer 10+ times, push and release it slowly and be sure to push it all the way in (bare finger works best).
3) Slowly pull the rope until you feel that it's starting the compression stroke.
4) Place foot on splitter and pull HARD. If after 3 pulls it fails to catch, go back to step 1.
5) If the engine catches, immediately position your finger over the primer bulb and prepare to depress it at the first sign that it is starting to die. You mentioned that it will occasionally run for 2-3 seconds, hitting the primer in those cases may have saved it.

Yes, this is one unimpressive engine as far as cold weather starting goes. :angry::angry:

Good advice, this is how I start mine and keep it running until it warms up a bit.
I run synthetic oil in my engine, it also seem to help some.

aaronmach1,

Bets it's a combo of methanol gas and a champion plug.

I think the choke or lack of it has something to do with it but i have a feeling it's a combo of things making it tough to start.

Match you original champion plug numbers to any of the EZ start of EZ ignition plugs and make sure you have methanol free gas and i bet things get much better.

If i'm in a rush for a job and pick up methanol gas for my chainsaws they are many pulls to start, on regular non methanol a couple pulls.
The colder the weather the more pulls so methanol gas has a big impact on small engines in the winter.

stihl023/5,

Hmmm! i wonder if some piece of equiptment with this engine has a choke on it?
Might be a real cheap solution to custom the non choke splitter version.

stihl023/5,

Hmmm! i wonder if some piece of equiptment with this engine has a choke on it?
Might be a real cheap solution to custom the non choke splitter version.

It is a nice motor for warm weather but is just not set up for cold starting.

Well I have a 15 ton with a china "Honda" on it that's the way they come in Canada. Never a problem in 4 years, until this year, it was really my fault too much wood cut the year before! So the splitter sat for six months it was 0°C and I pulled and pulled mine has a choke no primer but a squirt of starter fluid and it started and ran fine on the old gas.
I have fresh gas in her now and it is -16°C and she started fine a hour ago did about a 1/4 cord too. I have to say this year the winter is mild it has never got bellow -22°C a girly man winter 2008 it hit -42 with out the wind chill with it was close to -47 yuck as I get older I hate winter!!
Ah heck back on topic try some carb cleaner, it too me sounds like a small problem all my old briggs snow blower's would start no matter how cold it was!
But I cant complain about my CH Honda clone too

checked it a few times now. .020 its right where it should be. getting awesome spark.checked and the butterfly seems to be always full open at starting position. was able to hold it shut down some like a choke and had worse results...

Are you sure a .020 plug gap is called for? I'd think .030 is what is called for.

Back