Chain pitch: pros & cons

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natty Bumppo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A lot of 50-60cc saws can be had from the factory with either 3/8 or .325 pitch chain. Any advantages or disadvantages of one over the other. Recently read on an unrelated post about .325 chain feeling smoother in the cut. I've mostly just run .325 chain on saws. Anything to gain by changing sprockets and going to 3/8?

Most of what I cut is softer stuff: red cedar for woodland restoration, and cottonwoods, sycamore, & willows in keeping trails and levees clear of fallen trees and leaners in bottomland areas. But we also help out with TSI and edge feathering work and find ourselves cutting elm, hickory, oak, maple, walnut, etc.

Chain Pitch

This is one of those things that really comes down to personal choice.

There are so many variables. From the saw itself to the type and size of wood you are cutting. Some saws cut better with 325 while others cut better with 375. Throw in the option of 325 narrow kerf and you open yet another door of options.

I personally like 325 on my 50cc class saws for limbing work, Dolmar 540 and 5100. It seems smoother, not so grabby if your under cutting smaller limbs.

That said if I'm bucking smaller stuff say up to 12" with that same saw I prefer 375 both in soft and hard woods. I'm lucky enuf to have two similar size saws and have one set up each way.

Did you have a particular saw in mind?
If so which one? Maybe someone here has some experience with it and can share.

Did you have a particular saw in mind?
If so which one? Maybe someone here has some experience with it and can share.

My personal saw is a 2001 Husky 350 (18" bar, .325 pitch). At work, over the years, I've used Stihl 290's, Husky 339XP, 346XP, and Jred 2240, 2152 and 2153; all .325 pitch. More recently, we picked up a 460 Rancher in 3/8 pitch for when we need a bigger saw w/ longer bar.

As I've been lurking here and been a member since fall, I'm developing a bad case of CAD. One of the saws I was giving serious thought to was the Husky 555. Figured on going 3/8 pitch with it. But I'm far from an expert in these matters. If there's a case to be made for .325, I'll listen.

.325 is smoother, partially because there are more cutters in the wood, with less space between each cutter. I always run .325 on a 50cc saw. Chain strength is not an issue, even in the hardest of wood.

Back