40' red oak trunk worth any $ to loggers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the expense and hassle to get 1 tree to the mill is not worth it. if you had a bunch of them, then I bet someone would be interested. equipment mobilization for 1 tree is a losing proposition.

We have saw mills all around us and they will come out and get one log and pay on the spot. We also have a band saw mill here on the farm. If I ran across a stem like that, I'd drag it up to our mill and make lumber.

I would love to have the planks. I could do my living room with them and the wife would be ecstatic.

Check your local craigslist, there are guys all over with mills who make lumber and sell rough lumber. You might could get someone up there to mill it on the spot for reasonable or a heavy share in the output. And you would still have the outer slabs for firewood. Perhaps even jump over to the milling forum and ask there, who knows, might be an AS member near you with a big mill.

Good luck with the harvest. Pi r[SUP]2[/SUP] l is the formula for the volume of a cylinder. r and l need to be in the same units (feet). No way you can divide by 80-85 and expect to be near accurate. Folks tend to over estimate the amount of wood in a tree. Once it's cut and stacked the actual yield is a real eye opener to most.

I've found it to be reasonably accurate for an estimate. The exact amount is gonna vary with split size, but it gets you in the ballpark.

Stem! That's a stem. Holy cow, what do your trees look like?

I'd bet there's another cord in the top in a tree that size.

Check your local craigslist, there are guys all over with mills who make lumber and sell rough lumber. You might could get someone up there to mill it on the spot for reasonable or a heavy share in the output. And you would still have the outer slabs for firewood. Perhaps even jump over to the milling forum and ask there, who knows, might be an AS member near you with a big mill.

Will do. Already got a PM about a mill for sale but not in the market right now for one. Saws to buy 1st.

I've found it to be reasonably accurate for an estimate. The exact amount is gonna vary with split size, but it gets you in the ballpark.

I'd bet there's another cord in the top in a tree that size.

My buddy already cut a good bit from the top and looks to be about a chord. Still some big limbs on it and part of the upper trunk just past the 1st crotch. Cut most of that the other day.

View attachment 276147

I bet it is. To me the parts of the tree that are the best remind me a bit of eating fired chicken. Folks fight over the breast and drum stick, just give me the wings and I'm as pleased and a rabbit is a sticker bush. The top of the tree to me is the best part. Lotsa wood up there.

Good info, just found it before I read your post. What would you divide by then an why? Yust trying to be somewhat accurate and appreciate the input.

85% is a number I found here and a few other places. It means that if you take a cord of stacked wood some folks are saying that there is only about 80-85% solid wood in the cord due to air space from stacking etc. So you take your final number for cubic feet in the cylinder/tree and divide it by 85 to see how many approximate cords of wood are there. This would mean there is approximately 10-15% airspace which kind of makes sense.

This doesn't take saw kerf or any other kind of waste that does not get added to the final stack into consideration. I'm just looking to be able to estimate that this looks like to be able to figure in the woods how much wood I'm cutting and how much space it will take up at home or storing somewhere else until used or sold.

A cord of splits or small rounds is 4'X4'X8'=128 cubic feet
A cord (in log form) = 85 cubic feet (some say 80)
Do the math to find the volume of the log as already described (pie x radius"squared" x length) = (3.14 x [2x2] x 40) = 502 cubic feet
Divide the log volume by the volume of a log cord 502/85 = 5.9 cords
Somebody somewhere took a 85 cubic foot log, cut and split it to firewood size and stacked it into the 4x4x8 size.

So by that logic only 6.8 linear feet of that log will yield a tightly stacked cord with 4x4x8 volume. I was born at night ... but not last night.

I have to put my "I'm from Missouri" hat on and say show me.

Maybe that is a challenge to the OP to demonstrate his assertion.

Edited to add it would equate to 4 rounds cut 16" in length and 1/3 of a fifth round 16" in length.

Last edited:
I don't know how many cords are in that log, but I'd have to say "It's enough". :msp_wink:

So by that logic only 6.8 linear feet of that log will yield a tightly stacked cord with 4x4x8 volume. I was born at night ... but not last night.

Edited to add it would equate to 4 rounds cut 16" in length and 1/3 of a fifth round 16" in length.

I don't know that I asserted anything but really just followed the math trail as well as some others did. This has been a great learning thread for me. I will be bucking it up unless I get a good offer to mill it and my friend is okay with it. If I buck it I will report back on how much I get out of it, even with a picture because it didn't happen unless there's a photo right:msp_biggrin:

A fairly knowledgable friend at work said he thinks about 3.5 cords. Guess we'll see or I'll be using it to put new floors in the living room and maybe another area or two.

I don't know how many cords are in that log, but I'd have to say "It's enough". :msp_wink:

I would agree. It will be enough since I have enough already cut to probably last me through next year. Now just have to get it transported and split. So like I said this will be bonus wood to probably dry out and sell to a few people who've expressed interest.

Last edited:
BigDaddy, I never concern myself with how much wood is in the log, only how much is on the ground after it's cut and split. You'll have enough there to burn AND sell. Good score.

:agree2:

Im even curious now. What would a tree like that bring in a good market, if you could cut to size and bring it to mill. If tree was in perfect milling cond.

Here lucky to get 120 bucks u need 100 acres to even think of a profit and even then something will screw it up! Logging is a dying occupation in the States 5 mills shut the doors here and moved to Canada the mills left are so picky it's not worth the trouble. Many big operators here went under!

Yup, pretty close.

Wanna get all nuts about it? Let's factor in taper of the log. Just for kicks, let's say it's 48" at the big end and 36" at the small end.

Now we have the formula for a "frustum of a cone": pi*length/3 *(big end radius squared plus big end radius* small end radius plus small end radius squared)

Thats 3.14*40/3*(4+3+2.25)=387.25 cu ft of solid wood. The 80 (or 85) number allows for air space between split pieces of wood when stacked. If you can stack without air space, I'd like to see it. 387.25/85 (since we used that number in previous examples)=4.55 cords. More if there's less taper, less if it has more taper. This is also not completely accurate because the tree is not generally going to be perfectly round.

All righty. Math lesson's over. Let get that dang log turned into firewood. :msp_sneaky:

Latest posts

Back