Wood Hauler Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lookin good there. like the skidsteer/gooseneck combo. makes quick work of retrieving the wood

If we had a trailer for the skid steer we could get a fair amount more wood each trip. We had a guy a couple years ago that needed wood and he had a trailer so he hauled the skid steer to and fro. Worked pretty well for all of us.

Jeff

wood haulers

Looks like you really got lucky with that load.nice wood hauler set up.
This is my rig that I use for the quick to the woods and search for wood trips. I found this load on saturday afternoon wish I could find more like it darn nice wood..
Loadofwood-1.jpg

Loadofwood-2.jpg

Loadofwood-3.jpg

Howdy, another 1st post'r. Here's my trusty crusty K20 wood getter. This is a pic of the pretty side. The cab is falling thru the frame, when the suspension flexes the doors won't shut & it's like pulling teeth to get friends & family to ride on the inside. My ground is all woods w/a lot of character and tight trails. It periodically needs to lean on trees to get to the wood. In the background is my Toy skidder, and one of the main reasons I have the ground I have.

View attachment 276908

Howdy, another 1st post'r. Here's my trusty crusty K20 wood getter. This is a pic of the pretty side. The cab is falling thru the frame, when the suspension flexes the doors won't shut & it's like pulling teeth to get friends & family to ride on the inside. My ground is all woods w/a lot of character and tight trails. It periodically needs to lean on trees to get to the wood. In the background is my Toy skidder, and one of the main reasons I have the ground I have.

View attachment 276908

What year is your K20? If the frame is solid the rusty cab can be replaced. My wood hauler is the 1977 GMC 1 ton with a platform dump. My son owns the 1979 C15.

downsized_0818121027.jpg

this was buried in the thread many, many pages ago, but with the resurgence of old GM iron , I thought I'd put mine up again. Glad to see so many squares gett'in it done!

I agree with RussHD, if the frame is good, fix that truck up! The one I have had the cab mounts and corners all redone (as well as new sheet metal upfront)....should be good for a few more decades of service (under the cab and frame has a nice coating of POR 15 and anti rust stuff). Body panels/sheet metal are CHEAP and can be found anywhere....

View attachment 277104

Last edited:
this was buried in the thread many, many pages ago, but with the resurgence of old GM iron , I thought I'd put mine up again. Glad to see so many squares gett'in it done!

I agree with RussHD, if the frame is good, fix that truck up! The one I have had the cab mounts and corners all redone (as well as new sheet metal upfront)....should be good for a few more decades of service (under the cab and frame has a nice coating of POR 15 and anti rust stuff). Body panels/sheet metal are CHEAP and can be found anywhere....

View attachment 277104

I remember seeing that one before. That's a nice looking old "Round Eyes" you've got there. :msp_wink:

MOFO did you use OEM sheetmetal or aftermarket. Mine needs fenders/corners, cab mounts, and inner fenders. Couple small places fixed. Gonna try to take it to the body man soon. It will be getting a hefty dose of POR. It was fixed one time before. It was granddads first 4wd. Factory air. Wouldnt trade it for anything..

MOFO did you use OEM sheetmetal or aftermarket. Mine needs fenders/corners, cab mounts, and inner fenders. Couple small places fixed. Gonna try to take it to the body man soon. It will be getting a hefty dose of POR. It was fixed one time before. It was granddads first 4wd. Factory air. Wouldnt trade it for anything..

Most of the front end came from LMC Truck.

radiator support
fenders
inner fenders
grill with trim
lights (marker and turn signals)

If you had the option between OEM and aftermarket, I'd go for OEM...I think its a bit thicker. For what I plan on doing with the truck, aftermarket with a heavy undercoating should work just fine.

Last edited:
MofoG23, that's a good look'n truck.

Sorry guys, the old crusty 76 Chev K20 is relegated to wood retrival. It generally comes back from the mission alittle narrower and sometimes shorter than when it left. The only blacktop it sees is about a 1/2 mile of road frontage. There's not 1 panel that is not rusted or dented & it only has a couple of body mounts left. I'd offer you all any cosmetic parts off of it if they weren't all toast, but let me know. I think it's gotta a AM/FM 8 track. At some point in the fututre the cab will naturally seperate from the frame and then some sort of cage & seat will be made. Its design was intended to get into tough spots & occasionally slide off a tree if necessary.

View attachment 276908

276908d1359822714-img_0452-jpg

An almost unbeatable pair you have there. Do I see a little tube railing above the tub on the FJ40? Ron

Yea, it it has rails. I could tell the tub wasn't going to last long if it wasn't protected. It's a trail rig w/decent road manners. It's pretty much locked & loaded. SBC, Lower gearing, SM420, locking diffs, etc. I have another 1 in the basement that's going to be resto mod'd/restored, it'll be more street friendly, less trail, but it will be very capable.

View attachment 277213

I guess I need to figure out how to post full size pics.

Yea, it it has rails. I could tell the tub wasn't going to last long if it wasn't protected. It's a trail rig w/decent road manners. It's pretty much locked & loaded. SBC, Lower gearing, SM420, locking diffs, etc. I have another 1 in the basement that's going to be resto mod'd/restored, it'll be more street friendly, less trail, but it will be very capable.

View attachment 277213

I guess I need to figure out how to post full size pics.

I had a 77 that I put a SBC in together with a torsen front diff. I broke both birfields trying to pull a stump. Got tried of watching it rust away so I sold it to a friend who fixed it pretty. He resold it and next owner put it in the junk yard after flipping it end over end backwards. I went a couple years without one. I bought a 93 FZJ80 new with factory lockers but I couldn't satisfy the cravings so about 18 years ago I picked up a relatively low rust 1982 FJ40 (would rather have a pre-73). I left it stock except I replaced the tranny with the lower ratio overseas model, full floater rear from a BJ70, 4.11 factory lockers front (FZJ80) and rear (BJ70), and OME springs. Slow rolled it twice in one weekend while backing down inclines - driver side first then the passenger side; still looks nice though. I later discovered that the OME rear springs had almost zero flex; you could put 1500# of bagged cattle feed in it and they would barely flex. I removed a leaf from each and while not perfect it is much better now. I don't wheel anymore so it just sits in the woods out of sight. Hasn't been driven in at least a year. The 80 has been my daily driver for over 20 years now. Probably told you more than you want to know. Maybe not, if you love LCs as much I and those I hide the 40 from do. Ron

Latest posts

Back