Multiple employees who know how to climb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryankeats

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Does everyone have at least one other person who can climb a tree in case something happens? Ran into a guy pruning trees about 40-50 feet up without a ground crew. I was curious if others do this.

Does everyone have at least one other person who can climb a tree in case something happens? Ran into a guy pruning trees about 40-50 feet up without a ground crew. I was curious if others do this.

I am the only climber on my crew. I hardly ever do tree work by myself. If i do, its bucket work, and most times the home owner is home.

Certainly not recommended. Someone should be with you who could at least dial '911' in case of an emergency. If you're there, all alone, and god forbid, something happened and you were incapacitated, who then would be able to let emergency crews know? Not the best situation to be in if it can be avoided...

My two guys and I all climb and practice aeial rescue and no we dont climb alone. I think everyone on a tree crew should know how to climb. I know everyone wont be at the same level but should be able to jump up in a little 30'er.

My two guys and I all climb and practice aeial rescue and no we dont climb alone. I think everyone on a tree crew should know how to climb. I know everyone wont be at the same level but should be able to jump up in a little 30'er.

I practice LUCK!:msp_scared:

My 3 full time guys know how to climb, though 2 of them are usually on the ground.

Not only is it safer but you get a lot more production on trim jobs. It also frees me up to do more sales. I love climbing but it works better if I am out selling jobs (being able to get there the same day of the call is a huge advantage). I am blessed with an exceptional climber as well as several expert part time guys to help with the bigger jobs, Beastmaster included.

View attachment 276986View attachment 276987View attachment 276988View attachment 276989View attachment 276990
A few of me and my climber Jeff from November
I have 9 climber's and 6 groundies,, aerial recuse training, cpr, first-aid,,etc.
Jeff

I don't have as many climbers as you Jeff, but always have another climber on site when climbing. Several of my groundies participate in aerial rescue training as well. One wants to start to learn to climb this year, as he has been a groundie for the last 2 years. Can run a lift ok ,and I think it's his time! Now if we can only find such an awesome groundie to fill his spot! Everyone I have working for me is trained in first aid/cpr, defib. We do aerial rescue training as well. By TCIA /ISA program standards. It's one thing you never want to ever have to do, but should be prepared if that time ever comes. You don't want anyone on the ground saying hmmmmmm now what?

Last edited:
I have 11 guys, all can climb, some way better than others, but all can get to the top. I expect everyone to learn, even of they are a groundie by title. I expect the groudies to master the ground first, before I put them on production, but they all learn the basics right away, that way, like 75 said, they can help on big jobs with small trees and in a emergency sit. We have aerial rescue coming up.....as soon as I get the dummy from another office. I suppose I could be the dummy tho. I would love to be in the field with them, but as Mike said, gotta run the show.

There should always be at least 2 that can a least get another guy outta the tree , if something happens , waiting on a ambulance or the fire dept. doesn't work for me .

I still do a tree now and then where I am the only one with any level of skill. I've sub'ed to companies where the labor comes from temp services, pretty much just there to drag from tree to chipper. Been on quite a few where the only other person is the H/O.

I'm not so concerned with personal injury as with just simple stuff as dropping a handsaw, or having a rope run out of a block on the other stem due to a lack of a stopper knot from the ground. A few times a year I will do a job where I do almost all the rigging except for untieing the knot; lace the rope through several branch unions to apply sufficient friction so as to be able to use one hand on the rope and one on a hand saw to finish the cut. Getting guys from temp can get you a bright mind that did something stupid with a gun in a convenience store ten years ago, or a box of rocks who can barely tie a shoe lace. Neither can get a permanent job these days.

Even on jobs were there are several people on site, I am often given a group of trees away from the rest of the crew, because they need more help. Yell, whistle, wave my arms, it takes a while to get someones attention.

Damn, it's hard enough finding steady groundies to just show up consistently, never mind having the perfect scenario with a couple climbers! If I can keep a guy or two long enough they will learn, in the mean time I have to make a living and pay the bills. The few guys I have had for a few years left me after I trained them to go work for themselves. So it's like starting over again. I am a smaller company that can not justify a third guy just starring up at me and twidling his thumbs when the other guys is dragging branches, then looking up at me. when i get down, I am a ground guy too. We get it done right and safe and productive. just work our balls off all the time,it's the only way I know. I cant sit there and watch anyone work. I would love to have it were there are other that can climb and know CPR and common sense to call 911 ect. but you have to work and pay bills, so if ya have a new guy, go steady and be safe. if your alone go steady and be safe. if your with 3 other climbers go steady and be safe. did I mention be smart? it's like Pick your battles meaning the jobs you have and the men or boys you dont. There have been a few times I did not go to work due to the job. But not often. wish the work ethic here in CT was a bit better but lots like staying home collecting. NOT ME. Work work work Imust I have a wife and three girls. Ha! so that answers it for yall! Work like you dont need the money! Love like youve never been hurt and Dance like no one is watching. Rich:msp_sneaky:

Welcome aboard by the way.....where ya from?

Thanks, I'm from Vancouver, BC.
I work for my dads landscaping company. It's nice because we are starting to get into tree work (because that's what I really like) but are doing it at a rate which I feel comfortable being able to do with my skill set (which is minimal right now). I'm taking arboriculture canada's tree climbing course, then I'm going to just go out and practice climbing. I know how to prune, it's just getting to the branches when I can't with a bucket truck.

Back