Mulberry discharge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolbrze

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Why do I often see a black watery discharge from Mulberry trees where the main stem branches off into two stems? What is this discharge?

Probably a hollow in the branch union that holds water, bacteria growth causes fluid to well out. Many trees will have this, it's generically called Slime Flux.

Sometimes alcohol comes from the bacterial discharge, I've seen drunken butterflies and squirrels imbibing the elixir.

"wet wood"

The Board Certified Master arborist in Des Moines who I learned alot from also called it "wet wood", not always an indicator of decay, but definitely a bacteria has gotten in there -- lol the alcohol, drunk squirrels and all, it is flamable in many cases jsyk. The Slime is a byproduct of the bacteria's life cycle and not necessarily a problem, usually not harmful to the tree in and of itself. Also very common on many elm species and shows up as an amber or beer coloured "wet wood"

I did a removal on a unwanted healthy mulberry a few years ago. On one of the cuts I got a literal shower from where I made the cut. The amount of water coming out was unreal. Wet wood is very fitting.

I did a removal on a unwanted healthy mulberry a few years ago. On one of the cuts I got a literal shower from where I made the cut. The amount of water coming out was unreal. Wet wood is very fitting.

So.......... Was it the milky white liquid that shot all over you ? or was it just water , either way makes me smile ....... Sorry it does :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:

I've had a few stinky gushers like that, usually that is from a hollow where you are cutting below a long water column. It is real fun working the rest of the day, in high heat, with all that stank on you.

Back