Painting Your Plastics...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axlr8

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Alrighty you guys, I have searched around here, and well... I want some help/assistance/opinions/ideas. I am building a MS260 that will be for the woman....SO It will be done up in perty colors (IE pink purple..) ANYHOW! I stopped in to my local body shop, and they just laughed.. so, I guess they don't want my buisness... So, I come and ask. Is there a method, that I can paint my plastics, and have a gas/oil resistant finish, and still not have to worry about babying the saw? Of course a few parts will be getting powdercoated and such... Im not worried about that!

Is there a brand of paint that I can trust? I have access to a spray booth. I can prep the materials (sand, and fill any imperfections)...

Anyone have ideas??
My only option right now.. is Some pink Krylon fusion! I read on here that a few have tried dyeing, some tried spray bombing them, and others..well.......

I know the backpack saw had a sweet job done to it. And I need no special touches. just a solid pink saw, and a durable finish! :) Thanks In Advance for any help you can provide!!!

You can use something like a Krylon plastic paint or if you have access to a booth,regular auto paint but you'll have to add a flex agent otherwise it will crack.(Clean it properly first and either will give good results.)
The same setup they use to paint auto fascias.

You cant say 'snowmobile or sled' without telling me what you ride. :msp_wub:

I have a few. but My toy is a 1995 Cat.. A soon to be 144 (or 153?) ZRT 1004 Triple.. ;) AAANNND a belt drive should be arriving here soon.. :)

Its my thread.. I can derail! :) :taped::taped: :msp_w00t::msp_w00t:

Go to advanced auto or parts store of any kind ask where you can find paint prep stuff. There will be stuff in an aerosol can that you spray on let sit for 15ish minutes then spray. You need to sand with a light grit like 250 then go to a 400 then 1000. The the mag you'll need to rough sand it 80 grit then 4 step it to a 1000grit then paint away.

You can use something like a Krylon plastic paint or if you have access to a booth,regular auto paint but you'll have to add a flex agent otherwise it will crack.(Clean it properly first and either will give good results.)
The same setup they use to paint auto fascias.

I was told to not do Krylon as It is solvent based (?) and if so, once the solvent dries, anywhere I get a gas mist on, will flake off...I dont want that! :/

I just use acrylic enamel with an adhesive promoter for prep.Finish with a clear coat.

I have a few. but My toy is a 1995 Cat.. A soon to be 144 (or 153?) ZRT 1004 Triple.. ;) AAANNND a belt drive should be arriving here soon.. :)

Its my thread.. I can derail! :) :taped::taped: :msp_w00t::msp_w00t:

2006 Yamaha Apex GT w the 1000cc Genesis 4 stroke Its a bad, bad sled when wide open

All I am seeing for them plastic dippers is patterns.. Im into solid colors.. Anymore input???

For what you seem to want, base coat clear coat is more than likely what you want to do- with good prep, and with a good adhesion promoter (duplicolor and bulldog seem to make good stuff).

You will want a paint that is catylyzed. One that has a hardner. If its a one part paint it will soften up with solvent. As stated before us an adhesion promoter on the plastic and you should be fine.

Ill pick up some Adhesive promoter, and some VHT engine enamel and see what happens!!!

Its my thread.. I can derail! :) :taped::taped: :msp_w00t::

Currently a Yamaha Exciter SX just because they only made them one year and I always wanted one.
Previous was a pre diamond drive ZR900 with a Black Magic engine and bolt on goodies.That was an interesting machine:msp_scared:

1221062219.jpg

img014.jpg

I did this one in krylon fusion a few years ago. The paint around the gas tank has held up well too. I used the same paint over the plastic and metal, with primer only on the metal.

Read the earthquake thread, one of the members had great success with dye. Best part is it won't come off.

1221062219.jpg

img014.jpg

I did this one in krylon fusion a few years ago. The paint around the gas tank has held up well too. I used the same paint over the plastic and metal, with primer only on the metal.

The plastic on saws is a softer plastic than on most other motorized vehicles. But not saying it wouldn't work. Looks very nice.

:msp_wub: '97 XC600 tripple . Faster than my riding buddies (2) '98 Ski Doo formula 600's and a 98 ZR600.
And , I outweigh them by at least 50 lbs . :clap:
These old Polaris tripples pull super hard from 5500 to 8400 , I was very surprized , and I only have peanuts invested . :msp_wink:

There was one member that I thought sanded and then clear coated to bring back the new look.
I do have an 026 I would like to paint some weird color.
I will race all your sleds with my 1976 Arctic Cat Pantera 5000 F/A:tongue2:This is a pic of my parts sled,my rider is a lot nicer.
attachment.php

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back