Stihl FG-2 filing jig discontinued???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racerjohnbf

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I just talked to 2 different dealers and was told the FG-2 bench mount filing jig has been discontinued and is no longer available. Does anyone have any info on this? Or know where I can get my hands on one?

Thanks,

John

Not that I know, not that I have checked lately either. I know where there is one for $50 I might have to go and gobble it up.

I just bought one in Australia and it was in the system to order....

Was in stock in warehouse, came in a week later, which is about normal for this island.

Was Au $220 but was hard to find in the catalog & system.

Hmmm, time to stock up?? Mind you, it'll last me a lifetime, quality piece of gear.

I just bought one in Australia and it was in the system to order....

Was in stock in warehouse, came in a week later, which is about normal for this island.

Was Au $220 but was hard to find in the catalog & system.

Hmmm, time to stock up?? Mind you, it'll last me a lifetime, quality piece of gear.

The guy I usually deal with at my dealer was at Stihl school yesterday, so he is supposed to check and call me back. How did you end up finding it in the system? All we could find in the catalog was the FG-3, and that said while supplies last.

Not good news. I really like mine. It may be that they are going to let the FG4 carry the load.

I hope that's not the case, I really like the looks of the FG-2 based on your review a while back and because you can sharpen the chain off the bar.

Not that I know, not that I have checked lately either. I know where there is one for $50 I might have to go and gobble it up.

If you don't buy that one, shoot me a PM. I'll be happy to pay $50 plus shipping if it's in good shape.

I'm not sure how he found it to be honest.

Think it wasn't in the big folder, so he found it on computer and placed the order.

I doubt they've ever sold one and they are a big dealership in what was more than is a big logging area.....

If anyone has one for sale let me know!!! lol I tried to hunt one down today, and it is NLA. I guess I'm just going to watch ebay I guess.:mad:

Yep. My guy just called Sthil, it is NLA. He was told it's been out of production for a while now. I think I'm going to just buy a Granberg and try to mod it to work bench mount and make a way to clamp the chain the way the FG-2 does.

Yep. My guy just called Sthil, it is NLA. He was told it's been out of production for a while now. I think I'm going to just buy a Granberg and try to mod it to work bench mount and make a way to clamp the chain the way the FG-2 does.

If you do that I hope you'll post some pics. A bench-mounted Granberg would be worth a try as I prefer sharpening off the bar. Tks.

If anyone wants I can find out if more are available in Aus and also estimate postage cost as it is a fairly small box.

But I'm guessing a new FG2 sent back to US would be $220 plus $30 (or more?) AUD so probably even higher after currency conversion.

If you do that I hope you'll post some pics. A bench-mounted Granberg would be worth a try as I prefer sharpening off the bar. Tks.

I'm going to Northern tomorrow to see if they have one in store. If I can mod it and make it work I'll start a new thread with pics. Could be a while though, I don't get as much time to tinker in the garage as I would like.

If anyone wants I can find out if more are available in Aus and also estimate postage cost as it is a fairly small box.

But I'm guessing a new FG2 sent back to US would be $220 plus $30 (or more?) AUD so probably even higher after currency conversion.

Thanks I appreciate the offer but don't think I can justify spending that kind of cash... Especially after just buying a new saw, don't think I can get the wife to go for that one lol.

I'm going to Northern tomorrow to see if they have one in store. If I can mod it and make it work I'll start a new thread with pics. Could be a while though, I don't get as much time to tinker in the garage as I would like.

Thanks I appreciate the offer but don't think I can justify spending that kind of cash... Especially after just buying a new saw, don't think I can get the wife to go for that one lol.

I 2nd that I was on the fence about it to long because of the cost and now I wish I would have pulled the trigger sooner. I am going to be doing something custom as I don't want to sharpen on the bar

still on Stihl USA website

FG-2 Filing Jig (mounts on bench)
CorpMain-1.png

This bench mount filing jig gives you precise angles for your professional saw chain sharpening tasks. Two convenient gauges can be “locked” to the correct filing angle.

FG2 discontinued from Stihl...?

Saw the youtube on the Stihl FG4...Not bad but looks like they're taking what they can from the Husky roller-guide. Might actually work ok but will never be the quality, serious sharpening tool that the FG2/3 was. Too bad. Guess they think it cost too much to produce for it's return. Might be time to just get a Granberg and adapt to it...while we can. But that's been around for a long time and probably won't be going anywhere soon...

Saw the youtube on the Stihl FG4...Not bad but looks like they're taking what they can from the Husky roller-guide. Might actually work ok but will never be the quality, serious sharpening tool that the FG2/3 was. Too bad. Guess they think it cost too much to produce for it's return. Might be time to just get a Granberg and adapt to it...while we can. But that's been around for a long time and probably won't be going anywhere soon...

I picked up a Granberg yesterday and plan to modify it for bench mount. I already have an idea what needs to be done to make rails and a clamp. That shouldn't be too difficult, but it will involve cutting some parts off too make it work. I also want to make an adjustable chain stop so I can have the filing frame stay vertical as the teeth are worn back. And so it can be used for depth gauges.

If it works, I'll start a new thread with pics.

Here are a couple of pics(if I get them loaded correctly lol). It's not finished yet, but when it is I'll start a new thread with details. One note, mine is set up for .325 chain. It looks like more mods or different mounting heights will be needed for other chain sizes. It also looks like the Oregon jig might be better a better option as it appears to have more vertical clearance. Or you could just make the rails and clamp the jig to it like you would on the bar.

View attachment 282225View attachment 282226

Back