New skidsteer log splitter!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool splitter. I built mine 3 years ago. They are very similar. Maybe we can get together and have a split-off. I like using mine out front instead of pointing down.

kipper, the cylinder mount on the beam and on the push plate is 1" thick plate.

the cylinder is a 5", with a 24" stroke, the 5" might have been a bit of overkill as I think a 4" would have worked, but i haven't seen anything stop it or bog it down yet.

I don't really know how much it weighs, if i had to guess it'd be somewheres from 600-700 pounds.

Thinking about making one just like it, but I was wondering do you have to lean over to see the log? I have seen several that reach way out, 90 deg to yours.

That's a nice splitter! I've been looking for a nice ram to get my own project started. Did you ever consider making it a 4 way? Do you think it would work as a 4 way?

nope, don't have to lean over to see the logs at all, can see the log comfortably sitting in the operator seat.

i think it would work with a 4-way wedge on it, but i haven't got around to that yet. it seems to have plenty of power, even stringy elm doesn't slow it down, i think it has a 4-way in its future.

Very nice job! Makes mine look rough and unfinished....I really like how you braced under the wedge,very important,I used a 5x30 cylinder,if I had it to do over I'd go with a 4.5" .ive found the 5" is too strong coupled with the 3400 psi of my caterpillar SS.

thanks guy, i appreciate all the comments!

now if i could just come up with some sort of automatic stacking machine this whole firewood thing would be a piece of cake!

Is your beam 1" thick? I messed up my splitter that is just like yours. But it was only 1/2" thick beam with 4" ram. My push place is taller than the mounting to the beam is long. Just like yours. This mean lots of torque on the beam. I have busted many 3/8 grade 8 bolts with my splitter when I try to push it. Are your bolts 1/2"? Now my beam is bent. All from my push plate being tall and the base of the push plate not being long enough.

Awesome design! Out of curiosity what rod and size of rod did you use? (assuming you stick welded it, looks like stick from my house)

Back