DOLMAR Wankel came in !

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy crap, don't disclose your real location, you scored one of the holy grail series of chainsaws:bowdown:, now you will have to enter the collectors protection program for your own safety!!!:hmm3grin2orange:
GREAT SCORE!!!:msp_thumbsup:

Hey cool!

Heres a dumb question though, why did they stop making them? Seems a wankel would be a nice engine to use on a saw.

Rotary engined are notoriously low on torque. Arctic cat tried using a Sachs rotary in snowmobiles in the 70's, bit was very short lived. Still, the suck-o-meter is beyond pegged again!

KMS4 Has TORQUE and Power of a 60cc saw

Rotary engined are notoriously low on torque. Arctic cat tried using a Sachs rotary in snowmobiles in the 70's, bit was very short lived. Still, the suck-o-meter is beyond pegged again!

The KMS4 HAS TORQUE and WANTS to be PUSHED! I now have 5 of these 1 NIB 2 Runners and 2 tore down looking for parts doners. They Need Ethanol Free Fuel if you plan on running them Mine now run on SEF94. They will not open up to their powerband unless you either push on them or carry your rakers a tad lower.. The Reason they were discountinued was the US Forest Service did not like how hot they would run I guess sitting on the ground idleing they could start dry kinder on fire? But they sure are SMOOTH Runners... Doug curious if yours still has a serial number tag on it? Good Luch and trear it well and you will enjoy hearing it run and cut... The oilers had issues wearing as wll make sure your oil lines are in good shape so not to run the gears dry and werck the pump.

Scott

Last edited:
I have seen a few, all seem to be low hour saws. I don't know it that means the owners had trouble with them, or if they just didn't want to run them so much.

Bill G has one that he's run a little bit at one GTG. That saw is on my list of "really want to have".

Mark

Not that short lived , Arctic Cat had 303 Sachs Wankle in the Panther , Lynx , Cheetah and maybe other models , starting in '69 or '70 . in '73 or '74 it became a 295cc sachs wankle , and was available at least untill '75 . In 1972 , 10,000 303 Panthers were produced . They were great trail sleds , but a little thirsty .:rock:

...............Bill G has one that he's run a little bit at one GTG. That saw is on my list of "really want to have".

Mark

I ran mine at a few GTG's and no one understood the uniqueness so now it stays at home.

Bill

I have always loved the Wankel concept. Saws seem a natural application. I'm surprised it never caught on. Maybe it's time for a revisit -- it's been 40 years -- surely materials science has made a few advances, and EPA restrictions on conventional engines make UNconventional ones more attractive. Makita bought Dolmar, and Sachs did earlier. As I understand it, Sachs bought Dolmar specifically to bring the Wankel to the OPE market. I suspect that means Makita now holds those patents, if they're not already expired. I would really like to see what AT + Rotary can do. I suspect that we'll all be favorably surprised.

Careful what you wish for.

If 2ts are ever "outlawed" the Wankle holds much more promise than the 4 stroke in a chainsaw application.

Myself? give me a gas turbine geardrive, no lacking chain speed there eh?

Awesome saw! I loved running cuttinscotts, really neat and very different. Definitely a smooth saw, awesome sound too.

Doug you now have to come to all the Maine GTG's at least just so I can run it :D Remember its all your fault for posting that you own the thing now LOL

I have it cleaned up a bit now and will post pics when I get down to the shop this afternoon. I wasnt even thinking of getting it running but I guess I will by the response. It appears to be very low usage in my eyes. Still has a DOLMAR hard nose bar on it so wondering if it was the original. The seller is a local man and he told me the oiler didnt work so he had a primer bulb attached to a hose through a vent hole in the airfilter cover. I wasnt listening to good as I was to excited to find out his selling price at that point. I ended up getting it for $100 store credit for parts or labor. :blob2:
Scott it does still have the serial # tag and I will take a pic of it.
Thanks for the responses they are fun to read! doug

What a great find. I've never been bit by the Dolmar bug, but can appreciate them. Great to see the uncommon saws in good serviceable shape, and to see them preserved for the next generation(s).

Back