Stihl 261 vs. Husky 550 XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's great explanation to a poor choice. It's been proven the 261 is not as strong as a 550 and the 562 is capable of running 28 full comp, the 362 would struggle. I'm a saw fan I prefer Husqvarna because of feel and IMHO solid quality. But every brand has something to offer. Just so happens the 50-60 cc class saws are dominated by husqvarna at this point. This has been seen in comparison videos and at work. The strato design that most newer saws are came from Husqvarna (red max technology I believe) . So what's junk about Husqvarna saws may I ask? I've got a few older ones maybe you can explain why they still run? You're a newb here so I'll keep it civil but we try not to bash saws without reasons outside of they suck. Details help answer questions. Enjoy the site, what's your go to saw may I ask ?

My experience with Husky is somewhat limited.. a 51, 455, 460, and 372. Notta damn thing wrong with any of them I've run (except the oiler on the 460, but different topic there)..
I can't list the models of Stihls I've run, but more than that.
It's a combination of personal history, dealer issues, pricing, and how they feel to me.
Now I think this is completely off topic.. oops.. I blame sleep deprivation...

:notrolls2:

I just can't agree with the 261-550 statements. I would rather run the 261 Brad did for me than my 550. I actually have been toying with getting rid of it. I just don't like the outboard clutch balance or not. I'm also not sold on Autotune just yet. I will admit that I look past the outboard on my 562 that Terry did because it is just so strong. It seems to give me that wow factor that I can't get with my 550.

I think what I really would like is a nice ported 346 after watching videos.

Just thinking out loud

Put it this way. I've owned a Dolmar 5100-S, a Husky 353 (same basic saw as the 346XP with less grunt), an MS261, an 026, a Sachs Dolmar 115i, and I now own a 550XP.
None of the first five saws has a hope against a 550XP in any area except maybe filtration with the 261 and I do prefer inboard clutches.
One thing I did like about the 261 though was it's excellent filter and it had bulk torque although the 550XP has more.
Out of all 6 saws the least favourite was the 261 - the only people I've heard praising them are those guys that have had them modified.
Out of the box they are an uninspiring gutless turd with ultra sluggish throttle response. Those that think otherwise have not run many 50cc saws.
I do honestly believe though that the 550XP has a few bugs that need ironing out at this stage. Mine can occasionally be a mongrel to start when warm but once running hasn't missed a beat and punches well above it's weight.

The 5105 is a fine saw, the 5100 not so much. Honestly when it comes to smaller saws, right now Stihl has little to offer IMHO, with maybe one exception the 241 C-M, and I'd put my new 421 up against it anytime.

attachment.php
Andy, How do you like the 421.

I have ran 2 550 huskys and IMHO they are the most over hyped saws on AS. I dont get excited about ANY 50CC saws. i run an older 026 pro when i get into small wood. My dad has a 346 and after reading all the hype on here about them i ran his for a day........... nice saw but nothing to get all excited about.

The 362s on the other hand are turds.

The 261 is a decent runner. But I reach for the 550 every time. Easy choice for me.

Andy, How do you like the 421.

Not to speak for Andre, but I bought one for my dad because he has a bad shoulder and the easy start feature was very attractive. He loves it, and the times I have used it makes me think about buying another for myself. I did remove the epoxy from the limiter caps and adjust accordingly. It runs great and starts even better. The first start is easy and after it's warm it almost starts itself. Truly a great small saw. :cheers:

I have ran 2 550 huskys and IMHO they are the most over hyped saws on AS. I dont get excited about ANY 50CC saws. i run an older 026 pro when i get into small wood. My dad has a 346 and after reading all the hype on here about them i ran his for a day........... nice saw but nothing to get all excited about.

The 362s on the other hand are turds.

Can I ask what part doesn't impress you? They may be overhyped but what don't you like about 200T type throttle response and the ability to pull bar lengths generally reserved for 70cc saws? I have an 026 Pro also :msp_thumbup:

Can I ask what part doesn't impress you? They may be overhyped but what don't you like about 200T type throttle response and the ability to pull bar lengths generally reserved for 70cc saws? I have an 026 Pro also :msp_thumbup:

just what i was thinking

Great question. I think they run good and are very smooth which is nice. I am not saying that they arent good saws but after reading the post and threads on here you expect a fire breathing, cancer curing monster that will cut/split/stack and carry the wood in the house for you. i think they make good power but i save the longer bars for bigger saws. I personally never run bigger than a 16'' bar on my 026.

I guess my biggest problem is with them being over hyped.

The other thing that frustrates me is most people that talk them up have ported ones (i guess that goes for and brand). they start talking about how much faster they are but have forgotten that stock for stock they are close. good conversation

Great question. I think they run good and are very smooth which is nice. I am not saying that they arent good saws but after reading the post and threads on here you expect a fire breathing, cancer curing monster that will cut/split/stack and carry the wood in the house for you. i think they make good power but i save the longer bars for bigger saws. I personally never run bigger than a 16'' bar on my 026.

I guess my biggest problem is with them being over hyped.

You forgot that they can also end world hunger and bring peace to the Middle East :biggrin:
Thanks for the reply, I can fully understand.

The other thing that frustrates me is most people that talk them up have ported ones (i guess that goes for and brand). they start talking about how much faster they are but have forgotten that stock for stock they are close. good conversation

Now this I can FULLY understand and agree 100% :msp_thumbup: Stock for stock is where we should all focus first before modifications are even mentioned.

I admit all of my saws are ported with the exception of two. One of the two is on it's way out today. I became an addict and sent most of my saws out never fueled. I believe my 261 has much better throttle response than my 550. I also have experienced some of the hot hard starting issues as well with the 550.

I am generally Husky guy also. I love the 562 and 390. I stated the other day the 562 is my idea of perfect firewood saw.

My experience is stock vs. stock. Except maybe a muffler mod on each. Still 550 for me. In a bucking scenario I guess it could go either way. Dropping and limbing 550 all day long.

The only thing the 261 can do is cut faster then my 200T. If you think it is a magic saw just pick up a Ms440 and cut for a few seconds. They are over hyped as is the Husky 346 nice little saws the both of them for limbing and small logs not an end all to all saws!

The only thing the 261 can do is cut faster then my 200T. If you think it is a magic saw just pick up a Ms440 and cut for a few seconds. They are over hyped as is the Husky 346 nice little saws the both of them for limbing and small logs not an end all to all saws!

I agree the 440 was probably the most over hyped saws on AS. great saws just not all that and a bag of potatoes.

Back