Are Stihl saws as good as they were?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tankpants

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm thinking of replacing my ms250 with a new saw of similar size etc. my local supplier says he doesn't rate Stihl saws these days. Previously I would only have bought a Stihl but he's got me thinking.

Are Stihl still the best?

Thanks for your thoughts!

You sure know how to stir up trouble on your first post.

The "Best" chainsaw manufacturer is up for debate and always will be.

I think you cant go wrong with any of the major saw manufacturers.

Hi,

I'm thinking of replacing my ms250 with a new saw of similar size etc. my local supplier says he doesn't rate Stihl saws these days. Previously I would only have bought a Stihl but he's got me thinking.

How long of a time line is your comparison?

Hi,

If you like the style of Stihl, get it. If you want something a little different, they're out there.

As far as I can tell the Quality of the Home Owner and Farm/Ranch series Saws haven't changed. An Old 025 is still built Like the New MS250.

Nothing is as good as it used to be.I always shook my head at the old guys for saying that but I'm beginning to see the wisdom in it.
The only exception to this is the Jonsereds...and the Huskies.Everything else? Nah. ;)

Can't say they're best, but they're one of the best. It really depends on what you're trying to do, I wouldn't limit myself on options and figure out a model that's best for your needs.

On 2nd thought, just get a 261 and be done with it. Then forget you ever heard of this place.

Stihl Pro saws are still real good, you way better off with a Echo or Dolmar than a mid range or homeowner Stihl. Way more quality at about the same price. Years ago you couldn't buy a low quailty Stihl, you sure can now. Steve

You have a homeowner saw, not the best stihl makes. Their saws are still good, are they the best? who knows. Personally i don't think they're any better than the other pro saws. If you have a good dealership there, get another stihl. I would personally get a Husky 346 over a 250. I have a 250 and while it's a good cutting machine, it is hard to start and floods easily.

Try and get your hands on the saws your comparing. For price point in that size range you cant beat a dolmar 510. But a 400 echo might fit you also. Or a 450 husky the options are endless. Go with the saw that gives you the warm and fuzzies.

Hi,

So why doesn't your "supplier"(dealer??) rate Stihl anymore? what else does he sell?

Stihl has disappointed me several times the last decade, but that is mainly a result of design and engineering mistakes, not so much about quality. Their focus on cheaply made "homeowner" saws and "intermediate" saws dates further back than that.

In the quality perspective, I don't think it was a good move to start their own production of cylinders....:msp_confused:

I only buy pro STIHL saws and allways liked them. I love my STIHL 460 but the 461 is better yet. The 261 seems to be a favorite over the 026/260. My old 036/360 gets wooped by a 361 or 362. Time will tell but I like the new ones.

Thanks for all your replies.

My local stockist says he doesn't think Stihl has the same quality it used to have.

Are Stihl still manufactured in Germany or could those sold in uk be manufactured in China or elsewhere in that part of the world?

He suggested I buy a Tanaka.

STihl still makes a fine product.

One of the problems that all of these companies have is that the entry into lower price point markets has an unintended downside. People buy the cheaper homeowner models and then cry that "They don't make 'em like they used to", or "They really cheapened them up". That's not correct at all. Their top models are built with the same quality as always, and if you want that level of quality, then those are the models you need to buy. You won't find that type of quality in MS170's or re-labled Wild Things.

Back