Saw upgrade advice?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're trying to stay on the lower end of the ~90cc range, I'd recommend a 288xp. Cheaper/older than the 394/395xp and 660, yet still very strong and solid.

I just picked up a 288xp Lite w/ 30" bar and chain for $300 that included tons of replaced parts. Runs like a scalded ape. I haven't even really had to use it yet, but it's nice to know that I have the option to go after big wood if the opportunity presents itself.

395xp would be nice too, but that's a bit more $$.

Go as big as you can afford. You're gunna need it when you start to mill since milling works the saw harder than regular use. If you need to rely on the saw for firewooding, you're going to want one that will stand up to the abuse that milling is going to offer. 90cc+ saws are what I've always been told/read when it comes to milling.

I ran an MS441 when my biggest saw was an 036Pro. Really liked the power. So I found an 088 that needed rebuilt. Threw a 41" bar on it and I couldn't get the smile off of my face. Big bars are awesome when it comes to bucking, but I really wanted the 088 for milling. I have no doubts in the ability of my 088.

Thanks for all the replies! It helps a lot. What if I dropped the milling requirement? Do you think I could handle my other wants with a saw in the 70 cc range for heavy duty firewood?

My 74 yr old best buddy pointed out that I was missing the trees for the forest. In Kansas about the only thing you would "need" a 36" bar for would be our massive cottonwoods which wouldn't be worth messing with anyway. He thought I could take the money saved by getting a smaller saw and put it towards upgrading my other logging equipment.

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks, Hellbent :rock:

In that case...

044/440, 372xp, or 7900?

All of those can handle a 28" bar w/ skip chain if need be. Probably more with the 7900.

Look around for a while and see what comes up close by. You never know what's out there around the corner.

Just go with a 90cc saw dude. It doesn't matter if it's heavy if you're always in a cut. At that point, heavy is good. Get the bigger saw and 2 bars for it. A big bar for the heavy duty stuff, and a 20"bar for regular duty. Get a smaller saw for limbing.

You can get a good looking 372xp for under $500, they market at almost a $1000 new. 70+ ccs will handle a 24/25" blade with ease, and for firewood, that's all you need. Just build your arsenal and don't despise small beginning.

When you need a bigger saw, you'll be able to get it.

I dropped this monster elm with a 25" 460
View attachment 280855

Did you really think these guys would tell you to go with a smaller or more modest saw, since it is adequate for your needs? I am surprised someone has not suggested some kind of rocket powered saw.

In all seriousness, you need a big saw for milling, the rest of what you do can be done with a smaller saw.

I cut plenty of big stuff, and my biggest saw is 76cc, and all of my saws are old.

Would I like a whole array of new saws covering every contingency? sure I would. It is so much cheaper to get a non running older saw and fix it, so that is what I do.

Dan

Back