We start them early here in the Wild Wild West

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat-face timber

Knot Bumper
Reaction score
I had my grandson over for a few hours, we watched some Sponge Bob Square Pants, there is only so much a man can stand of that so we went outside.

I needed to clean my Husky 235, from the wood I cut last weekend.
I cleaned it all up and started it.
I figured he might have been scared but no, he had the biggest smile and all he could say was "WOW G-Pa WOW"..

He is sitting next to me, while I post, thumb in mouth :) very very sleepy :)

Last edited:
got to love that!! i was scared of them until I got to use one, after that I loved the sound
of an angry 2 stroke!!

SpongeBob is not a very good roll model for little twerps. :msp_sad: Grandma and I try to keep the tv on PBS stations.

Brody, 4 y.o., comes running out to the garage when ever I start a saw. His sister, 7, is easily scared. Noise has to be a 'guy thing'.

SpongeBob is not a very good roll model for little twerps. :msp_sad: Grandma and I try to keep the tv on PBS stations.

Brody, 4 y.o., comes running out to the garage when ever I start a saw. His sister, 7, is easily scared. Noise has to be a 'guy thing'.

I do n't know about that...my wife can make a lot of noise. Maybe they save it up till they get married?

It took a few years

initially I was scared of the sound of the thing (old mac, with quite a bark). Then the watching my father cutting wood knowing about the chain and the sharp teeth scared me a little. Eventually you get used to the idea, but still didn't like the sound of that saw. Later on, with more knowing how it works.... Todays' stuff if far faster, and no doubt the chains are way sharper than what we had.

kudo's for the kid interested in saws. double points for avoiding anything they call tv these days :dizzy:

Great to get them outside to many are glued to the tv and video games. My boys 7,and9 love helpn me when they can. Last year had my 9 yr old start setting choakers. There favorite thing is going to woodsman days every year in boonville ny. Even my daughter 5 gets into it.

My kids are not scared of them and know the dangers, but I am in no rush to let them use one.

The best memories of my youth involve time spent with my grandad. He knew all about anything that was of real importance. He could fix almost anything and if he couldn't fix it, he built a new replacement. He took all the time needed to answer any and all of my questions.

I have a new grandson and a plan for this grandfather business. I hope to be up to the task.

That is the key!

The best memories of my youth involve time spent with my grandad. He knew all about anything that was of real importance. He could fix almost anything and if he couldn't fix it, he built a new replacement. He took all the time needed to answer any and all of my questions.

I have a new grandson and a plan for this grandfather business. I hope to be up to the task.

Take the time needed to explain the hows and why's of things. Kids (atleast this one :laugh:) are more perceptive than ya think. I always wanted to know how things worked. It bugged me that my parents could not answer all the technical details I wanted! Later on in life you find out that there is a lot of embellishment and personal preference in the "hows and why's" of some subjects. Rather than state that something is a piece of junk, take the time to figure out why it is that way, and let the kid (little monster) figure out why it did what it did... smarts in the making!!

I had my grandson over for a few hours, we watched some Sponge Bob Square Pants, there is only so much a man can stand of that so we went outside.

I needed to clean my Husky 235, from the wood I cut last weekend.
I cleaned it all up and started it.
I figured he might have been scared but no, he had the biggest smile and all he could say was "WOW G-Pa WOW"..

He is sitting next to me, while I post, thumb in mouth :) very very sleepy :)

When both of my nephews came over they had never seen a chainsaw running up close. They had seen plenty of them on TV, but for whatever reason they almost jumped out of their skin the first time I started it up for them. After that, they were in awe of the thing. lol

Ain't nothin' wrong with Spongebob..... :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Yep. It's Patrick you gotta worry about. That playing dumb routine ain't fooling anyone. What I can't figure out is why they haven't yet knocked down the last OG seaweed with all the old 5+ cube boat anchors in Bikini Bottom.

Last edited:
No way would she be near this thing if it was running! This is my little girl Lilyana. I got her own set of ear muffs which she calls them "ear muscles" knowing full well the correct name for them. With her wearing the muffs is the only way I can start any small engine without her running for the house with her hands over her ears.

tmurfs%20saws

My Daddy used to log 80-160 acre hardwood tracts when there was such a thing here. He was a fulltime millwright at Cat and logged the rest of the time. Dad would rebuild them Macs in the basement on his night off. You would hear him clanging and fire them thing up in the wee hours. It was '71-'78. I thought there was a monster down there. I remember Mom tellin' me, "It's ok. Daddy is just makin' buzz saw." That's what I thought they were called when I was small.

My dad had my brother and I running the little saws(Husky 41 and 50), under close supervision and instruction, by the time we were 6 or 7. We would go firewood cutting and dad would give us the marlin 60 and a 50 box of .22s to go plink around. By the time we were out of buletsdad would be close enough to finished with the wood that he would take time to show us how to safely operate the small saws.

Around here that was the norm. If the kids are working the dont have time to get in the way!

Back