Shindaiwa 488 are they good saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My saw of choice

My Shindaiwa collection started when my neighbor who was retiring from the contracting business came by and offered my a used 377. I let it sit on the shelf of the garage for a year or two before finally trying it and, I ve been a convert ever since. That was back about 8 years ago and I now have 11 Shindaiwas. . . a 300, 3-360's, the original 377, 5-488's, and a 490. With the exception of the 377, all of the others were purchased as 'parts saws' mostly needing new pistons, cylinders, or both. I have muffler modded all of them and find them to be strong runners. I also have 3 Stihls, an Echo, and a Poulan but they mostly sit on the shelf when I go to cut wood. I usually get a few stares whenever I am out cutting with someone new for the first time and they have to wonder what sort of piece of junk saw I have toted into the woods until they see them fired up and cutting down some trees. At some point, I am going to get one of the new Echo saws and see how well they have benefitted since they joined forces with Shindaiwa.

My Shindaiwa collection started when my neighbor who was retiring from the contracting business came by and offered my a used 377. I let it sit on the shelf of the garage for a year or two before finally trying it and, I ve been a convert ever since. That was back about 8 years ago and I now have 11 Shindaiwas. . . a 300, 3-360's, the original 377, 5-488's, and a 490. With the exception of the 377, all of the others were purchased as 'parts saws' mostly needing new pistons, cylinders, or both. I have muffler modded all of them and find them to be strong runners. I also have 3 Stihls, an Echo, and a Poulan but they mostly sit on the shelf when I go to cut wood. I usually get a few stares whenever I am out cutting with someone new for the first time and they have to wonder what sort of piece of junk saw I have toted into the woods until they see them fired up and cutting down some trees. At some point, I am going to get one of the new Echo saws and see how well they have benefitted since they joined forces with Shindaiwa.

The replacement for the 488 is the 502, which is a rebadged Echo.....something.

I wouldn't bother trying one. Not a great saw next to a 488 :(

New convert Shindaiwa 488

For years I screwed around with cheap Poulans and 4 years ago I buy a Husky only to find out its a Poulan when I took it apart to see if it was terminal. Now I know Husky makes a great saw if you spend the $$$$$$$. But not wanting to buy another new saw I look for Pro Huskys or Stihl and I came upon a Shindaiwa 448. I have been monitoring the site for a little while and did some research here only to find how much love you guys have for these machines. Well I just bought it as soon as it started on the seconded pull with 1 year old fuel in it and without a word of a lie that has got to be the best machine I've ever worked on and used.

This machine doesn't scream like those crappy new saws it just pulls a cuts without any hesitation including Maple. I love it and its my new baby.

I will be on the lookout for more.

It a rugged and reliable saw, cuts good up to 16 inches stock I'd say. More than that and you're in for a long cut. As far as I know, the 757 and 757c are the biggest Shidaiwa saws ever made.

Owned one for about 6 months never got to run it had no spark, but couldn't find a coil for it...
I on sold it for the same price I got it for, then a month later seen a a/m coil on eBay for $30
Wish I still had it
Would've been a nice sleeper...

Back