Jonsered 2171 for a Husky 272xp???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northwoods18

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just to throw a topic out there...would i be completly nuts to sell my j-red 2171 to buy a 272xp? I know the 272 is a little older but its a saw thats on my "list"...would one pull a 24" bar better than the other?

Just to throw a topic out there...would i be completly nuts to sell my j-red 2171 to buy a 272xp? I know the 272 is a little older but its a saw thats on my "list"...would one pull a 24" bar better than the other?

The 2171 would have a bit more power but I'd still rather have a 272xp too, so you're not crazy -you just have cad, lol.

not if u sold it to me.:msp_biggrin: I dont fancy the notion to sell one to get one... Id rather add the 272 to keep the 2171 company.:rock:

The better AV and ergonomics, not to mention the lower cost of parts makes it a no-brainer for me.

Its Red too! Added Bonus, heared they make an extra hp more than the orange ones, and Redheads like massages.

Orangeheads just spent the night in the shed!

In my experience, the 2171 will pull the 24" better.

As far as the 'trade' or 'sell/buy' goes, it would depend on condition of both saws. Is your 2171 'like new', or got some miles on it (ruff)? Have you found a NOS/like-new 272? Or are you talking about a junker?

The cylinder design, spring mounts, air filtration, looks, side tensioner, AND HANDLEBAR ANGLE all add up to make the 2171 a superior saw, but if you've found a PERFECT 272, it is the scarcer saw.

Remember, the 2171 is already disco'd, and if you have a really good one, and get rid of it, you may someday regret it.

If condition is similar, the 272 is worth less money, if that means anything to you.

My Advice: KEEP the 2171. Gather a few 272 parts saws. Build your own. That 'series' of husky is fun (easy) to work on.

Another to consider is the Jon 670. They had a big inch offering, I believe.

The 2171 would have a bit more power but I'd still rather have a 272xp too, so you're not crazy -you just have cad, lol.

thanks for all the input....i think you nailed it I HAVE CAD!!!! oh well maybe i will take bryanr2's advice and buy the 272 to keep the 2171 company:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

No way! You should Know by now that the top 10% of All Husky's are made in Red and:hmm3grin2orange: Black and have strait handles on them!
Now all jokes aside the 2171 was the best feeling saw I ever picked up in the 70cc class.
I went for the 7900 Dolmar because the handle was not at a angle like the husky but it stihl bugs me,but it was $250.00 cheaper than a 2171that is shipped to my home in Canada from a sponsor in NY state we all know as is cutting scott.
But for me I like the strait handle on a Jred the only real diff plus your looking at a older husky and a newer Jred the jred will have a better av system same as a 372 but again comes with with a better too me handle, for the Jred?
But the handle is a personal thing my arms are longer than the so called mythical beast a Bigfoot! Maybe why I like a strait handle on my saw lol.
Or just because I grew up using old Mac's?

Last edited:
thanks for all the input....i think you nailed it I HAVE CAD!!!! oh well maybe i will take bryanr2's advice and buy the 272 to keep the 2171 company:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:
Thats a good idea! but every parrent has a fav child :msp_ohmy: Now I started something lol.

my 2171 won't be "flung" around the woods for sure while my saws see there fair of use i do try to keep 'em lookin nice, this one is my "big saw" it is run with a 20 or 24" bar and is used the least of my saws...nothing against it but i do most of my woodcutting with my 346xp or 359 (with 357xp jug and piston) and save this one for the bigger stuff

Not much to add here. The 2171 certainly makes a bit more power than a 272, and along with the better anti-vibe is simply a nicer saw to run. Not to say that the 272 and other models on that chassis aren't great saws also, but the newer 2171 chassis had some nice improvements in several areas.

Then there's always the known quanity, (your 2171), vs an unknown quanity, (somebody elses 272). With you doing most of your cutting with the 346 and 359, then the 2171 should have relatively low hours and be in great shape. (assuming you're the original owner)

thanks for the feedback spike60....i am not the original owner of the 2171 i bought it off e-bay but was pleased to find out i was buying it from a fellow member of this site...and yes it is in great shape:chainsawguy:

I like my 272XP, and prefer how it handles over the 372XP's I've ran. Mine wears a 24" bar, although I have ran it with a 28".

CAM00168_zps26d99b11.jpg

Back