Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm bored and am thinking of playing with my poulan/craftsman 3800. I've got squish down to .022. Comp is 135lbs with new rings and less than 1 tank used. I've heard that advancing the timing by filing the woodruff key will liven the saw up. Question: do I file the left side of the key and move flywheel clockwise, or do I go the other way? Will this even accomplish anything?

Bob

Bob,

Filing either side of the key will accomplish the same thing.
Filing the RIGHT side (looking at the top of the flywheel) of the keyway in the flywheel will move you counter clockwise and advance your timing.

My recommendation is that you just cut a sliver off a 1983 or newer penny and use that for your key. It is completely reversible that way and doesn't disfigure a $25.00 flywheel.
The width of the key on some saws won't make much difference, on others it is way too much.
Best to go slow and try it (with a stopwatch) then go a little farther if necessary.

Mike

I'm bored and am thinking of playing with my poulan/craftsman 3800. I've got squish down to .022. Comp is 135lbs with new rings and less than 1 tank used. I've heard that advancing the timing by filing the woodruff key will liven the saw up. Question: do I file the left side of the key and move flywheel clockwise, or do I go the other way? Will this even accomplish anything?

Bob

Advancing the timing would mean you'd move the flywheel counter clockwise, so I guess you'd file the key on the right side. You wouldn't gain but a degree or two. If you want more you'd have to remove the key but you probably wouldn't want to advance it too much. I've done this on Stihls but I used a timing light to check where it was.

OK, for those on here who have been at this for a while, is that the actual quality control stamp in picture #5?

Don't know about the stamp, but you sir have a not so easy to come by saw, and it will clean up very nice. Have some rep!

Don't know about the stamp, but you sir have a not so easy to come by saw, and it will clean up very nice. Have some rep!

Thanks! I don't think I've ever got a saw that resulted in a rep shot. Maybe this is a better saw than I originally thought.

I haven't had a chance to put a gauge on it and check compression, but the last "big" saw I tried (75 cc IIRC) was in the 180 psi range. Should all of these older ones run that high? It seemed very good at the time but I thought maybe that had more to do with the amount of engine I was trying to turn and possibly a smaller starter pulley than I'm used to dealing with.

OK, for those on here who have been at this for a while, is that the actual quality control stamp in picture #5?

IMG_0005_zps44649879.jpg

Yes. I have a similar stamp on the bottom of my late production Poulan 306A.

Found the pic of the QC stamp on my 'California Special' 306A.

CAM00026.jpg

Last edited:
Bob,

Filing either side of the key will accomplish the same thing.
Filing the RIGHT side (looking at the top of the flywheel) of the keyway in the flywheel will move you counter clockwise and advance your timing.

My recommendation is that you just cut a sliver off a 1983 or newer penny and use that for your key. It is completely reversible that way and doesn't disfigure a $25.00 flywheel.
The width of the key on some saws won't make much difference, on others it is way too much.
Best to go slow and try it (with a stopwatch) then go a little farther if necessary.

Mike

You're saying to use a sliver of a penny instead of filing the woodruff key, the penny being thinner than the key ? Makes sense assuming I don't have an issue with the penny falling out as I replace the flywheel. I guess if its at the 12 o'clock position it should stay still. The use of a stop watch though has me wondering what you are referencing. Dummy! You're referring to timed cuts, correct?
Bob

Alright, a HUGE disappointment. I snuck this thing in to take some pictures and find the bar is only 24", instead of the 30" I originally thought.

Well, that's not that bad I guess. The paint on this thing still looks good!

IMG_0001_zps4136583e.jpg

IMG_0002_zps0971bef7.jpg

IMG_0003_zps53874e34.jpg

IMG_0004_zps9dd283d8.jpg

IMG_0005_zps44649879.jpg

IMG_0006_zps557c3d7c.jpg

Yup, total reject.

You have my address. I'll see if I can find you another Husky peeez ant.

Somebody please hit Marc again! I'm outta bullets!

Yes. I have a similar stamp on the bottom of my late production Poulan 306A.

Same here on my 5.2 ... that QC checker really got around!

Thanks! I don't think I've ever got a saw that resulted in a rep shot. Maybe this is a better saw than I originally thought.

Ya think?

That is a Nice 5.2!

Sure is! Will clean up great! Consider your 2013 to be off to a great start! :msp_thumbup:

Alright, a HUGE disappointment. I snuck this thing in to take some pictures and find the bar is only 24", instead of the 30" I originally thought.

IMG_0001_zps4136583e.jpg

Will clean up great! Consider your 2013 to be off to a great start! :msp_thumbup:

I checked the compression and spark. 180 psi on my gauge and nice blue spark.

My shoulder is smarting a little from the effort. :bang:

Is there some sort of "warm up" routine I should do before trying to start this thing? Like, start a couple of Wild Things to soften up my shoulder? :hmm3grin2orange:

IMG_0001_zps4136583e.jpg

I checked the compression and spark. 180 psi on my gauge and nice blue spark.

My shoulder is smarting a little from the effort. :bang:

Is there some sort of "warm up" routine I should do before trying to start this thing? Like, start a couple of Wild Things to soften up my shoulder? :hmm3grin2orange:

You sir, have stumbled upon possibly the best saw ever. Congratulations!

1960 era Poulan sign

Good morning, i wanted to share a special find with you guys. As i have mentioned before i have a very good friend that had been in the Poulan business since 1970's. J.P. Fuller was the distributer and went out of business (the local location) at some point. They gave my friend the sign and this weekend he was kind enough to pass it on to me. I am not sure if Poulan actually made this sign or hired someone to make it but i believe it was something given to their distributor’s.

Any input will be greatly appreciated and if i do not have my facts correct i will apologize for this.

View attachment 282467

You're saying to use a sliver of a penny instead of filing the woodruff key, the penny being thinner than the key ? Makes sense assuming I don't have an issue with the penny falling out as I replace the flywheel. I guess if its at the 12 o'clock position it should stay still. The use of a stop watch though has me wondering what you are referencing. Dummy! You're referring to timed cuts, correct?
Bob

All of the above is true and correct!
Why ruin a $2.00 woodruff key when you can accomplish the same task for a penny?
And most importantly if you don't like the result, just pop the flywheel off, stick the key back in and zoom, zoom! Also if your saw doesn't like the change a zinc penny (that is why you use a 1983 or later) is much easier to shear than a steel key.
Timed cuts in the same log is the best indicator of an increase (or decrease, I've seen it happen) in the saws performance.

Mike

it will eat your Makita for lunch.....but it weighs enough you will be taking lunch early......keep it and love it for what it is or sell it and use the money to put a B.B. kit on you Makita

There you go again, just because its heavy for you dont mean its heavy for its displacement. When figuring it in its time frame for production it was actually a lightweight.

Even compared to modern 5 CI saws its in the ball park for weight.

There you go again, just because its heavy for you dont mean its heavy for its displacement. When figuring it in its time frame for production it was actually a lightweight.

Even compared to modern 5 CI saws its in the ball park for weight.

Very correct Mark...the MS660 is roughly 16.5lbs which would have made the MS650 the same 16.5lbs at 85cc. The husky 390 which means the 385 also is 15.65lbs. The big countervibes were 16.#lbs which is very good considering they are a design that has been around for longer than both the other brands models put together. And the torque of the big countervibes is in a class of its own IMO.

Very correct Mark...the MS660 is roughly 16.5lbs which would have made the MS650 the same 16.5lbs at 85cc. The husky 390 which means the 385 also is 15.65lbs. The big countervibes were 16.#lbs which is very good considering they are a design that has been around for longer than both the other brands models put together. And the torque of the big countervibes is in a class of its own IMO.

Exactly what I was saying, and your figures prove it.

Another bit of perspective is a 55-60cc Mac Timberbear was about 4 lbs heavier from that time frame. :hmm3grin2orange:

i received another NOS parts shipment last week and most of the parts will be available. let me know with a PM if any of you guys are looking for something to finish up a saw? I have paypal and sell on Ebay. Some of the stuff is on ebay now but more will go on. i would like to give you guys first dibs. You have been a great resource for me in a very short time. Mark, Tom, Ed and a few others have been an incredible help as well.

The parts list is over 500 line items so i am not posting it here. what is will say is i have a lot of 245A, 306A, S25DA stuff. i also have a lot of 3400, etc items.

give me a PM if you are looking for something

thanks,

Stephen

Poulan stuff I see on FEEbay from up in that area. You the seller?

While I was snapping pics today. Here is the poulan nos tank that I was told was taken off a new poulan 475 at a dealers back in the day that was being used as a parts saw. You can see where a handle was in it and little chaff on right side under handle. Maybe shelf scrap :confused2: who knows.

tank5016010_zps661a0df7.jpg

tank5016006_zpsda651735.jpg

tank5016011_zps6bf27468.jpg

tank5016008_zps55cbd20a.jpg

tank5016005_zpsce408dd9.jpg

tank5016001_zps4a87b4b5.jpg

Latest posts

Back