MS461 vs MS440/460 Hybrid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my 461 seems to run better than when i first got it now ,i think what they are saying about the check after tanks of fuel may be true on the power

That very will may be true. But, again, I'm not disappointed in how this saw turned out. For it to equal my hybrid with an 8-pin rim, is a win IMHO. Any additional gains will only add to that. It takes a strong saw to hold 11,500 RPMs with a 28" bar buried in Hard Maple. That wood was so hard that my hand ax didn't want to stick in it.

Last edited:
That very will may be true. But, again, I'm not disappointed in how this saw turned out. For it to equal my hybrid with an 8-pin rim, is a win IMHO. Any additional gains will only add to that. It takes a strong saw to hold 11,500 RPMs with a 28" bar buried in Hard Maple. That wood was so hard that my hand ax didn't want to stick in it.

Ax was probably dull as your chain.......Hahahahahaha!

i talked to randy about running 8 pin ,he recomended the 7 to me ,saying the 8 was actually slower in his testing with the 461 ,especially with a longer bar ,im sure different trees react different to different speeds ,in the fir i tried out the 461 was a little faster than my hybrid and my 460 ,i could lean on it a little more without bogging down also ,i dont have a tach but they all seemed to spool up good and pull good

As I pointed out in the first post of this thread, both of these saws are faster with a 7-pin rim. With a 7-pin rim, the hybrid was 12% faster than the 461 and was holding well over 12K in the cut. It was only as the load increased, with the larger rim, that the 461 began to shine. The reason I keep referring to the performance with an 8-pin rim, is because that's how Young's two saws were compared.

I feel like this thread has gone off topic a little, but I would like to add by saying modded saws are obviously not for everyone. I myself cut wood to heat my house, not for a living thus making it less important to me than some. I will agree that mods can for sure reduce the life span of a saw, but most of the time (if done correctly based on application) it does not. I personally have extensively modded just about everything I own and in some cases have actually added to the dependability of some motors due to oem design flaws. I feel that blsnelling really is very knowledgable when it comes to reliability and I'm certain he has blown enough stuff up to learn what is too much. I guess what I'm trying to say is if you don't want to mod your saw, don't. If you have the "more power disease" like I do than I'm looking to send my 461 to blsnelling to see if he can't find that extra 500rpm. I'm also sure that when I'm blasting through a 24" oak limb, I will have the same smile on my face as I do when I'm back flipping my superjet on Lake Michigan (only the hull and driveshaft carrier is stock) or doing Larocco's leap at Redbud on a Eric Gorr YZ 250 (285 big bore). Man I love everything 2 stroke.

Ax was probably dull as your chain.......Hahahahahaha!

Dennis,

You're as dependable as gravity.

ole joat

Cited references: Gravitation, or gravity, is the natural phenomenon by which physical bodies appear to attract each other with a force proportional to their masses.

As I pointed out in the first post of this thread, both of these saws are faster with a 7-pin rim. With a 7-pin rim, the hybrid was 12% faster than the 461 and was holding well over 12K in the cut. It was only as the load increased, with the larger rim, that the 461 began to shine. The reason I keep referring to the performance with an 8-pin rim, is because that's how Young's two saws were compared.

You could also lower the rakers so the 461 was happy, then try that chain on that torqueky hybrid.

You could also lower the rakers so the 461 was happy, then try that chain on that torqueky hybrid.

If you watch closely, you'll see that the chain is already on the edge of being jumpy. Personally, I don't like any more raker than that. Besides, both saws had slower cut times with an 8-pin rim. That tells me that they already have all the load they want. I could be wrong though.

That goes without saying. However, if a good operator gets a POS saw because somebody with more ego than experience decided to push the envelope and make it into a real hot rod when it really wasn't necessary...who's really to blame?

Granted, a lousy operator could probably screw up just about any kind of saw, ported or not, but the person doing the actual work on the saw bears a higher level of responsibility and needs to communicate with the end user. The user tells the guy doing the mods what he wants...the guy doing the modding does what he's told. With a little communication everybody is happy with the end result.

I couldn't agree more. I ported a saw for a local guy that is new to ported saws, maybe saws as a whole. He's using the saw in his new lumber business, I spent quite a bit of time on the phone discussing his options when it comes to porting. The saw left here with mild port timing numbers, plenty of squish and she was tuned quite rich.

Last edited:
It's called Hard Maple for a reason. I do realize though that you might have never experienced woods this hard, given where you live. hahahahaha

Geezzzz Brad!......The Aussie's told me the same thing about their gum wood, when I was down-under.........Hahahahahaha!

BTW, you want more chain speed, try a little higher raker height......just in case you didn't know.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back