Help Honda GX 340

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihlrookie

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I am helping my neighbor with this project to get his generator running and failing so far. Saturday I spent a couple hours cleaning the tank of 5 year old gas, fuel lines are all good. Pulled the carb and disassembled as much as I could, cleaned it up, installed a couple new o-rings and put it back on. No start, not even a wimper. Gas is getting to the bowl, evidenced by loosening a small screw near the bowl and fuel flows out. My neighbors son was there also and started spraying starting fluid down the throat, it would run with that but as soon as he quit sprayind die she did. This carb is different than I have seen before, it has a small solenoid valve that goes into the bottom of the bowl, I am now thinking this may be the culprit. Any other suggestions?

I am helping my neighbor with this project to get his generator running and failing so far. Saturday I spent a couple hours cleaning the tank of 5 year old gas, fuel lines are all good. Pulled the carb and disassembled as much as I could, cleaned it up, installed a couple new o-rings and put it back on. No start, not even a wimper. Gas is getting to the bowl, evidenced by loosening a small screw near the bowl and fuel flows out. My neighbors son was there also and started spraying starting fluid down the throat, it would run with that but as soon as he quit sprayind die she did. This carb is different than I have seen before, it has a small solenoid valve that goes into the bottom of the bowl, I am now thinking this may be the culprit. Any other suggestions?
Solenoid valve shuts the fuel off when the the engine is shut down. It is called an anti-dieseling solenoid to prevent run-on. You should be able to push the needle back and forth. I think your main-jet is plugged. It is a brass jet that is threaded up the center of the carb. Take the carb off, carefully remove the jet and clean the orifice and re-install it.

Howdy,
I think you nailed it. I would like to add that using a screwdriver that fits the jet as good as possible is important. There is also a brass nozzle above the jet that should be cleaned. If the nozzle doesn't come out when you remove the jet, go in throgh the throat of the carb and push down on the the end of the nozzle you'll see in the bottom of the throat.
Regards
Gregg

Thanks for the responses. I had the bowl off but did not remove the float, is that where I will find the jet? I did find, after posting here, that the solenoid is an anti-dieseling device so doubtful that is the issue. Plus it was a bit crudded up but did seem to move freely when I pushed or pulled on it.

Usually the jet/nozzle in the center of the carb plugs. You have to remove them, jet first with a well fitted screw driver. Those carburetors are pretty cheap to replace by the way.

Usually the jet/nozzle in the center of the carb plugs. You have to remove them, jet first with a well fitted screw driver. Those carburetors are pretty cheap to replace by the way.

Yeah, I found a carby on amazon for under $40. Tried convincing my 82 year old neighbor that we should go that route to no avail. I will get back to it on Friday and pull the carb apart again.

Don't know if it's this way with the Honda equipment motors,
but every one of their bikes that I've encountered all have
developed that crusty, sorta chalky looking buildup in the carbs.
and old gas leaves a varnish-y film too, which fouls the needle and floats
and clogs jets.

nothing to do except sit down and strip the carb body bare and
use tooth picks and *Very Carefully* using twist-ties to open up all the passages'.
verify that needle is seating and not sticking, etc.
And of course your usual/favorite spray stuff and other carb cleaners to help
with the cleanup.
new in-line fuel filter, new fuel line, be certain that any all trash , old bit s of crst are all out.
It's can be a bit tedious, but well worth the effort.

recently walked a neighbor through it with his Honda 150 dirt bike carb
and he was tickled with the results.

Any engine will succumb to being parked and left with fuel to good stale in it,
just seems that the Honda/Keihin carbs have a characteristic to their metal
that gets that extra crustiness.

I'd check local shops for someone with an ultra sonic bath cleaner,disassemble the carb and drop it in and just wait,it will get everything out of it..my brother just bought one for his shop it's a nice little addition,and it works great.

If it was mine it would be fixed already. On second thought, if it was mine we wouldnt be talking about it because I wouldnt leave gas in it for 5 years. I hate the smell of stale gas.

Since it has the solenoid I assume it is electric start? If so when you turn the key to the on position without starting it you should hear a tiny click come from it. This means the solenoid works. Als try cleaning the main jet as previously stated. Hope this helps.

Since it has the solenoid I assume it is electric start? If so when you turn the key to the on position without starting it you should hear a tiny click come from it. This means the solenoid works. Als try cleaning the main jet as previously stated. Hope this helps.

It is not electric start. My plan Friday is to take the solenoid out and remove the plunger by grinding/cutting it off. And to go through the carb again and actually remove the float and main jet. I will most likely go through the carb first and then if that fails to remedy the issue I will modify the solenoid.

Purrs like a kitten

Got it running today. Pulled the carb and removed the bowl. Located the main jet and was able to get it out, completely plugged with some nasty black stuff. Cleaned everything up, reassembled, two pulls and she was running. A couple coughs and then idled right out. My neighbor was sure happy and so was I of course.

Latest posts

Back