Had to say goodbye to my little girl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phantomblack

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This is still raw and hard for me to talk about. I chose here because of the like minded people on here. I know no one here, but many of the values that you speak about I share with you. Things like a love for nature, firewooding, family, things that go bang, beer, and dogs. This post is about dogs. In specifically, my little Millie she was our little yellow lab. Now she is our four legged angel.

My wife and I had to put down Millie Sunday night. She had most of her small intestine die due to it twisting. We got her to the emergency animal hospital within 3 hours of the onset of symptoms on Saturday night around 11:00 p.m. But as it turned out it was to late for her. When the surgeon opened her up we got the call we were afraid we were going to get, and had to say words that we never wanted to pass our lips. Millie was the perfect little labbie, she was our marshmallow. A super soft, extra loving, perfect little 52 pound girl. She was not my firewooding buddy, mostly because I did not want her to get into the saw or something of the like. But she was my buddy every night and morning when I went to fill the boiler. She was on my tractor with me whenever it was running, and if we did not let her in the tractor she was mad. That John Deere was hers in her opinion.

She was my companion, and one of my best friends. She struggled with digestive problems all of her 3 short years. But through all of it she was always full of love. She had kisses for you whenever you were with her. And she loved our "pack". She always needed a buddy. Whether it was my wife, our chocolate lab, our old coonhound, or myself. She was a perfect little girl. I could go on and on about her. If you are an animal person you know what I mean. Do me a favor and cherish someone special in your life tonight for her, my dear Millie. Three years is far to short, but 30 years is to short. Our "pack" is not nearly as cool as it was when she was around. My wife and I are really struggling with this. It gets a little better with each day, but it is hard to loose one of your best friends.

Rest in peace my dear, I love you. I'm not letting you go, you left tracks on my heart. You were a beautiful animal, with a huge heart, and a lot of love. Loosing you hurts more than I can explain. I hope you show up in my dreams, and some day we are reunited again. I love you my little Millie dog. View attachment 283035View attachment 283036View attachment 283037

Sorry, Man. I'm pretty sure that I know how you feel - a few years ago I had to let a golden retriever go when she was just 14 months young.

Take care of yourself as you mourn - eat well, rest well - it really helps.

My condolences. RIP Millie. Amazing just how strong that bond can be huh?

Edit: what is this, damn this moisture in my eyes?

Last edited:
One of the hardest things in life. We all know that in most cases that we will outlive them yet we love and accept them as our own hoping we just might have the one that lives for 40 years. This is a story I've lived way too often as I'm sure you have. There really is not a love as pure as a dogs for it's family. They just don't know malice, revenge, and spite. My heart goes out to you and your pack. Long live the memory of "Millie".

I will be sure to give an extra hug to the four legged people in my family tonight.

Rainbow Bridge

God speed your Millie to Rainbow Bridge.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Sorry to hear about Millie thoughts are with your family. We have a chocolate lab named Maddie thats 4 y/o and shes like one of my kids, my kids (3 and 1) LOVE her and would be lost should something happen to her.

My condolences to you and the family.

I had to also put down my 13 yr old lab the day before thanksgiving. It doesn't matter if you had the dog for 3 years or 13 years, it is still one of the toughest things to do, saying goodbye to your buddy.

Although we will be getting another Lab this spring, I know she will not be the same as "Patches". But I don't want another Patches, as she was special in her own way as Millie was to you.

Cherrish those memories you have and you keep her spirit with you always!

Phantom,

I know exactly how you feel, but I also know that does not make it any easier for you. I lost my first lab with I was 18, and I just had to have my third one put down two years ago at age 12. The first one was tough, but it never seems to get easier. My oldest lab (of three) is now 14, so I know it's coming again soon. I try to remember the good times we had together. They are great dogs, and I'll never be without one (or two, or three...)

So sorry for your loss,I know your pain so well,I lost my 10 yr old GSD ,got hit by a car,that dog was my best friend for 10 yrs spent every day with me,went to work every day with me...it'll be 10 yrs on 6/3/13 ,not a day goes by when you won't think of Millie,I know you'll be reunited one day...

I always treated my dog nice, I must say when you hear of a friend lose their friend, it makes me appreciate my dog more. She barks too much. Dang they live such a short life. Those Labs are so much fun how they swim. Hope we can spread out your pain and turn it into love for all the dogs.

Latest posts

Back