Which would you keep? Ms361 or 268xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike from Maine

Read that the ms362 is awesome!!!
Reaction score
Thanks to a few cl scores this winter my four saw plan ballooned to over 10.
Thinking I should narrow it down to 5 or 6!

So what would you keep a 20 year old 268xp or a 4 year old 361? Ive only got to cut a few rounds with either one, too much snow. I plan to keep an 026 and my 660. And maybe the 385. But I'm thinking the 268 and 361, each with a 20" bar is repetitive. Maybe once I get some time using them I'll feel different?

You do realize all the chainsaw junkies in here will tell you to keep em all and ask why you only have 10 right?

If you truly have no preference, put them both up for sale for top dollar and sell whichever goes first. I myself would keep that 268xp because it matches the rest of my fleet, but I've also been told often how anal and ocd I am.

Which will you use most? I would keep the 361 bc I find 026's sorely lacking in power, and a 361 with a MM will take care of a good bit of 70cc saw work if you keep the chain sharp.

Is that 268xp all original or at least all OEM?

As far as I can tell its all original. Its a 1989 anniversary edition. It came to me as part of a 20 saws for a 100 bucks cl deal. The saws were from a pawn shop and all had something little wrong with them. The 268 had a jammed chain brake. It appears to have had little use.

Which will you use most? I would keep the 361 bc I find 026's sorely lacking in power, and a 361 with a MM will take care of a good bit of 70cc saw work if you keep the chain sharp.

I suspect which ever I keep will be my goto saw. I'll keep an 026 for limbing and the 660 for the big stuff.

I cut about 10 cords of firewood a year. Half or so comes from a tree service that drops off the larger logs they don't want to deal with.

I had originally bought the 361 to replace my 029s. But then I got such a deal on the others I couldn't pass it up. It's definitely easier to decide which saws to buy then sell!

If you are keeping the 026 and 660 the 361 makes sense as the bars exchange. The 268 also has the outboard clutch which may or may not be an issue for you but if you have ever got the bar pinched and have to remove the power head it is a lot easier with the 361 side tensioner and inboard clutch setup.
2c worth

neverending

This thread could last ad infinitum.I'm sure you have used these saws enough to have a detailed opinion of both.Everybody has their own opinions about everything from handling,parts availability,power to weight ratio.I could go on forever about the most minute detail.As personal as our preferences are the last thing I entertain is other peoples preferences.What's the point?I too have CAD issues.Ported 361 versus ported 262's with a ported 562xp on the way.I'll figure it out.My "perfect worksaw collection" is always morphing.Have fun with it.

As far as I can tell its all original. Its a 1989 anniversary edition. It came to me as part of a 20 saws for a 100 bucks cl deal. The saws were from a pawn shop and all had something little wrong with them. The 268 had a jammed chain brake. It appears to have had little use.

Then it surely is an xp, unless someone has changed the top end later.

Both are great saw, keep both! :msp_wink:

This thread could last ad infinitum.I'm sure you have used these saws enough to have a detailed opinion of both.Everybody has their own opinions about everything from handling,parts availability,power to weight ratio.I could go on forever about the most minute detail.As personal as our preferences are the last thing I entertain is other peoples preferences.What's the point?I too have CAD issues.Ported 361 versus ported 262's with a ported 562xp on the way.I'll figure it out.My "perfect worksaw collection" is always morphing.Have fun with it.

Actually haven't used either saw for more than five minutes. I was 'sure' I wanted to sell my huskys, and advertised them on cl. But every time someone responds to my ads for the 268xp or 385xp I get pangs of regret and delete the emails. I guess that kind of answers my question...

I blame this forum

since you are keeping the 026 and the 066 then the 361 makes sence...an all stihl fleet:clap:...just let me know what your price is on the 268xp...it would fit nicely in my all husky fleet:hmm3grin2orange:

If you are keeping the 026 and 660 the 361 makes sense as the bars exchange. The 268 also has the outboard clutch which may or may not be an issue for you but if you have ever got the bar pinched and have to remove the power head it is a lot easier with the 361 side tensioner and inboard clutch setup.
2c worth

Who in their right mind would take the bar and chain off because their saw got pinched when they have a 660 and a 385xp that they could saw that biatch out with. Keep whichever one is in the best shape by the sound of your lineup the one you keep is going to do the lions share of the work.

I suspect which ever I keep will be my goto saw. I'll keep an 026 for limbing and the 660 for the big stuff.

I cut about 10 cords of firewood a year. Half or so comes from a tree service that drops off the larger logs they don't want to deal with.

I had originally bought the 361 to replace my 029s...

Nice bunch of saws. I'd keep both the 361 and the 268 and sell the 029s. The 361 would be my go-to saw and the 268 looks to be a classic Husky in good condition so I couldn't get rid of that.

Staying with one brand using interchangeable bars would be a less expensive option in the long run. I have both brands, so know that downfall if you can call it that.:laugh: I really like my 272xp, and liked my 268 until some :censored:thief decided to steal it.:angry:

A muffler mod and retune really wakes up an 026.:msp_thumbup: IMO, its the best handling Stihl saw that I've run.

Latest posts

Back