Tree picking from sides of roads

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't believe I have any State Forest Lands close to me. As for PA Game Lands, which are all around me, its a no go. Years ago I think you could get a permit and cut on them but not anymore. At least thats what a local deputy Game Warden told me. Oh well, I always seem to find enough for our home during the winter and even give away multiple cords each year. Each year I cut a few trees at my Brothers place that need taken out and one or two trees on my own few acres. God is good. Peoples attitudes about trees vary like night and day, some think you've done them a tremendous favor by taking out the dead trees or thinning an area out for them. Others think their trees are worth thousands apiece an though they are dead, diseased or crooked as a dogs hind leg they are worth a mint. Sure makes me chuckle when I think about it.

Don't believe I have any State Forest Lands close to me. As for PA Game Lands, which are all around me, its a no go. Years ago I think you could get a permit and cut on them but not anymore. At least thats what a local deputy Game Warden told me. Oh well, I always seem to find enough for our home during the winter and even give away multiple cords each year. Each year I cut a few trees at my Brothers place that need taken out and one or two trees on my own few acres. God is good. Peoples attitudes about trees vary like night and day, some think you've done them a tremendous favor by taking out the dead trees or thinning an area out for them. Others think their trees are worth thousands apiece an though they are dead, diseased or crooked as a dogs hind leg they are worth a mint. Sure makes me chuckle when I think about it.

You have to get on the DCNR site to find a local forest to cut...I found Weiser has several tracts, which is where I cut. Here's an example permit...it looks a lot different than that offered by Weiser, which marks the trees for cutting.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cs/groups/public/documents/document/dcnr_002790.pdf

A lot of people seem to be confused between rights-of-way, easements and ownership. The township has a right of way along the road, but I own the land under it and pay taxes on it. You wouldn't want to be taking any wood along it......

You can go on Google maps and see the property lines in most places.

Yea and I've seen them completely destroy some beautiful trees in peoples yards when they put a sewer line through our area several years back.I later found out that the municipal right of ways are somewhere around 20 feet if I remember corectly. The sewer contractor was digging right through the roots because it was to expensive to dig 10 feet in one direction or the other.

And I've also seen more than a few times that people with freinds in high places got the tax payers to pay for the removal of trees just because they were in that right of way.

Theres a neihborhood near us that has a few vacant lots that are owned by our township. They were taken over for non payment of taxes. The trees on these properties have branches that are touching the roofs of the houses on both sides. Yet the township won't do anything about them, but they went in and cut down several big pines off of some relative of one of the borough secretarys places. They were in the right of way of a township street but barely touching the wires. Probably saved that relative $3000.

You have to get on the DCNR site to find a local forest to cut...I found Weiser has several tracts, which is where I cut. Here's an example permit...it looks a lot different than that offered by Weiser, which marks the trees for cutting.

I'll check into that permit. I wonder if that permit is a roaming type thing that you could gather wood from other parts of the state, or if its location specific.

My freind leases 200 acres from National Fuel. A tornado went through several years ago and left twisted trees all over the place. They won't let you pick a stick out of there. I even heard they prosicuted a guy who got caught diggin ginseng

In Michigan I and other land owners own all the trees twigs grass and rocks along the road right away. We are the olny ones intitled to gather said objects. With permission from the rightfull land owner you may also gather said objects.

At one time in Michigan you could get a permit from the DNR to collect up to 10 full cords of dead and down from state l,and but not along road ways. they only allow contracted tree service companys to park and cut along road ways.

The state may charge for that permit today, I haven't checked into it since back in the very early 1980's. I was told to cut dead and down in the federal forest of Michigan you had to buy a permit.

Guy that was caught cutting wood on my UP property could have bought enough wood to last several years when all was said and done. the fine for tresspassing was farily stiff itself.
I was there deer hunting all he had to do was ask and I would have said go ahead and cut a pick up load. PIzzes me off when people think they can do any thing they want.

:D Al

I'll check into that permit. I wonder if that permit is a roaming type thing that you could gather wood from other parts of the state, or if its location specific.

No, they have designated "fuel wood cutting areas"...but I want to remember that I was told anything on the ground in that tract (where you have the permit) is fair game also. I called my local DCNR Forestry Office and spoke to them about it...that's what I would do since it appears each District has different rules for cutting.

I like how the permit says that the ideal time for cutting wood is from April 1st to the start of bear season. I get the feeling the people who get these permits know those dates without ever needing to look at a calendar. The folks new to the process need to do some research to figure out when bear season starts!

I like how the permit says that the ideal time for cutting wood is from April 1st to the start of bear season. I get the feeling the people who get these permits know those dates without ever needing to look at a calendar. The folks new to the process need to do some research to figure out when bear season starts!

It depends on the district...the one I cut in places no restrictions on time of year...

The only issue is that the road is no winter maintenance, and you'd probably not be able to pass it in the winter.

I don't know if you have any National Forest land nearby, but I get most of my wood off the local National Forest. It's $20 a year for a dead and down permit and you can cut 5 cords.

here in ny, I got word in that our dictator fairly recently made it illegal to take any blowdown, says that you must leave it alone and let nature take its course. bunch of bull#### is what that is

Absolutely! Anything that allows people to be independent and take care of themselves is looked down on by the government.:angry:

I cut all my wood in Idaho, the permits are cheap and it is a short drive for me. As long as you follow their rules printed on the permit any dead tree can be taken including cedar just make sure it is cut to their specifications. The rangers encourage us to take blow down, told me I could even drag it across the river(stream) as long as no motorized equipment gets in the water and no cutting directly over water. They are pretty lenient as long as you are obeying the rules(cutting boundaries) and have a permit. I hear Washington State is about the same but less access and they will pull you over and put your rig on a scale to make sure you are not over weight.

I live in north central Washington, only about two miles away from both state and national forest. You have to have a permit to cut on both, but they're cheap. On federal land it costs $5 per 1/2 cord, and on state land it's free, just have to fill out the permit.

I'd never touch a tree on a homeowner's lot. This is more of a 6-7 mile road with nothing but state owned land on both sides (not state park) I've seen other individuals doing the same, in fact there were 2 others out on the same road cutting blowdown on the same day, and have seen others in the past. Was wondering if anyone else has done the same. Or possible issues.

I live in northern NJ too and have cut up wood on the side of the road with no problems, as long as you use common sense there shouldn't be an issue, if your cutting on watershed property, I think you'll need a permit.

Latest posts

Back