Recommendation for metal brush cutting blade for Stihl FS-130?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bro..I don't understand exactly what blade you are referring to..??

Are you selling the Bailey's mulcher blade or the Stihl circular blade..??

Either way..I would need the one with the 1" arbor hole
:cheers:
J2F

Too Fat!!
Good hearin' from ya!!

Windsor used to make one very similar called the "Shredder blade", and then the Dope smoking Hippies at Oregon, decided it was too emotionally traumatic for the weeds, and discontinued sales.

Stihl offered one for a while, and apparently they were getting them from Windsor. Because they don't have 'em anymore.

So now it appears Champion is marketing something very similar through dealers.

Here's the blade in question.

attachment.php

They are brutal on most woody brush, and medival on blackberry, or at least the Windsor versions were.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Yeah, these blades are so ruthless with the blackberries that you almost start to feel a little sorry for them.......lol!

The Stihl FS rotates counter-clockwise. I think that champion blade pictured is for an Echo, or something? :eek:

You put the blades on with the tabs pointing down--that's what helps do all the mulching.

And cuts/shreds/busticates/destroys all the stuff that isn't standing vertical.

On thick clumps of Bidweed or blackberry using a regular blade, you get a nice slice and the stuff lays down on top of the crown that still needs to be chopped up, and soon ya have a tangle of cut stuff fighting the cutter head.

The shredder dosn't have time for that nonsense and obliterates everything vertical or horizontal, right down to the ground.
I found that with just a slight tilt, the tabs will snip bindweed runners, and not get into the dirt real bad.
Sumac "Stumps" simply get smashed into bits.

Ya gotta run a blade cup though.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Well, I continue to be blown away by these blades. Was clearing a patch of blackberries today when the blade (running with WOT) hit a t-post that was only exposed 8" above the ground and covered by deep brambles/grass. Brought the blade to a complete stop and killed the motor on my FS-130. Put a pretty decent gouge in the blade edge and twisted it a bit, but, a few minutes on the grinder wheel and a couple well-placed whacks with a hammer and the blade is back on and demolishing blackberries at will. Try hitting a t-post full speed with a carbide blade or even a tri blade and I think the results would be disastrous.....these shredder blades are TOUGH! :bowdown:

Last edited:
I expect to be sending you the Postal Money Order for three (3) blades Saturday.

I don't have blackberry vines but rather blackberry bushes...should work out well...I hope.

Wish I could order more to help sell for you...but $$ is tight right now.
:cheers:
J2F

I hit about everything with the tri blade. Its not too easy on the hands. Keep an eye on those gears with plenty of grease. Then sit down when you price them to be replaced!

I'd go with the tri blade on the blackberries, and on most anything that isn't pure grass or pure wood. For the former, run line; the latter, run a files-with-a-round-chainsaw-file metal blade. The four-edge grass blades aren't something I've ever found useful for my purposes.

I'd go with the tri blade on the blackberries, and on most anything that isn't pure grass or pure wood. For the former, run line; the latter, run a files-with-a-round-chainsaw-file metal blade. The four-edge grass blades aren't something I've ever found useful for my purposes.

I borrowed one of the tri blades from a friend and tried it out the same day that I tried the shredder blade. On the blackberries and underbrush, it was no comparison--the shredder blade blew the tri blade out of the water. On just grass and heavy weeds the tri blade did a little better than the shredder blade, but I plan on using the .155 string on the grass and weeds....

Years ago I had one of these: View attachment 284641

The poly blades could not hang with the amount of grass and brush I was asking them to chew up...so I went in the barn and got some of these:View attachment 284642

Blades for my Great Grandfather's Mott Hammerknife.

I flattened them out, bolted them on (in place of the poly blades), and that was hands-down, the best brush head I have ever used. I was even able to cut down 2" saplings with it...just had to let it eat away slowly.

I know it wasn't a very safe idea, but it did work well....until the bolt holes in the plastic head decided to call it quits. I should make one out of metal.

-Phillip

I've been itching a bit to upgrade my string trimmer to something that could turn brush cutting blades and such, but most of the use would be cutting grass with nylon line. Whats the minimum power for a trimmer to work those things with authority?

I know a good 50cc (was looking at the Efco 8550) would do it, but that might be a bit of an overkill for whacking grass. 40cc class maybe?

A sturdy 30-40cc will run them fine, but unless the gear head is up to the task, it wont last long.

The various lightly constructed brush cutters, might not hold up real well to the impact, and torque, of spinning up the heavy blade.

As for grass trimming, there is no such thing as overkill.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Last edited:
Yeah but there are things that are overkill on my back and overkill on gulping down gas and such. I have a decent jonsered 26cc and its lacking guts in bigger grass, so i know my next one is gonna be in the 35 to 50cc... But i should probably kill this one first anyways.

Yeah but there are things that are overkill on my back and overkill on gulping down gas and such. I have a decent jonsered 26cc and its lacking guts in bigger grass, so i know my next one is gonna be in the 35 to 50cc... But i should probably kill this one first anyways.

Have you done a MM on it? Might be a little stronger then?! If not it might die sooner..... :msp_sneaky:

I'm still slaying the blackberries with these amazing blades!! I switched to the heavy-duty version of the blades which only costs a few dollars more per blade but are made of a much better quality steel and really take a beating when you hit a metal t-post or god only knows what else hiding in the blackberry thickets. If you're looking to clear blackberries or other heavy brush, you really can't beat these blades! I have a few dozen left, if you want to give them a try let me know. Each blade is $24, plus $6 shipping. I can fit 3 of them in one flat rate envelope, so if you buy more than one you only have to pay shipping on the first blade.

Here's a video I just posted to youtube showing these blades devouring 9' tall blackberries:

I cleared about a 12'x7' area of 8'-9' tall blackberries with 1"-1 1/2" stalks in less than 4 minutes! For scale, I'm 6'3".....Not only do these blades take down the brush, but they mulch into little pieces, no more raking up the canes and having to haul them away.....amazing!

[video=youtube_share;e41wwXO0fUk]http://youtu.be/e41wwXO0fUk[/video]

Last edited:
Hi @Nonprophet. Thanks for info. This is coming in a bit late but would you know if they make anything similar now? And why they discontinued that blade? Looks awesome!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back