Can you prune to good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems to me that most of the people who want take downs are just looking at price they want the tree down and gone. People who want prunning are looking for quaility work and the care about the end result, and are not so cought up on price. Ive tryed to target these people. The people who are real cheap just want it topped. If i cant talk them out of it i just tell them to get someone else. If i have any doubt about a customer i have them sign a contract.

As others have said, expectations should be set at time of sale, and the W/O worded to reflect that agreement. Since i work for a number of different clients, I try to ask the HO what they are expecting. Often it is a problem with the salesman not wanting to "waste" time meeting on-site. I detest bids that say "trim tree" :bang:

I convinced a couple of the guys I've worked with to use their phone cameras to take pictures of debris piles, since that is the only thing some will be convinced by.

Often times we are dam'd if we do and if we don't, the HO knows what they want and it is never what we do.

+1 on brush piles! On many trim jobs I do the customer says that nothing was cut. Only after they see the pile of brush that came out of the tree do they agree that work was done, and in aus in many areas the limit is 10% of canopy. When they see it on the ground they admit that it's a lot.

Shaun

As others have said, expectations should be set at time of sale, and the W/O worded to reflect that agreement. Since i work for a number of different clients, I try to ask the HO what they are expecting. Often it is a problem with the salesman not wanting to "waste" time meeting on-site. I detest bids that say "trim tree" :bang:

I convinced a couple of the guys I've worked with to use their phone cameras to take pictures of debris piles, since that is the only thing some will be convinced by.

Often times we are dam'd if we do and if we don't, the HO knows what they want and it is never what we do.

Yup they always are wanting this :hmm3grin2orange: I seriously even with the fact it starves the tree,stresses it and sets up poor attachments ,pre-disposes itb to disease don't get why they would want that look with those factors taken away. I do understand it on bradfords but here 79 % of the do you trim trees jobs I'm called on want topping and some even know it's bad!

View attachment 286858

I probably have said this before Beasty and I will say it again: From the stories you've told I have no idea how you don't smack a few of these people. Boy, somebody say something like that to me after all that work, well I guess I would have to let them know how bad my feelings were hurt.

With all your years in its nice to see you still put good thought and practice first and care into it.

What was the objective? di you get specs to follow?

o and murph did the lightning struck client get an appraisal for ins claim? that would give him $ to pay you...

Here at the Santa ana botanical Gardens it's a given what we do. These sycamore were in a area where they hold weddings and what not. It's a really well mantained part of the Gardens. The people here are all tree huggers and there are old ladys walking around who know more about trees then I do. Clairmont College has a research area here also and there are always a lot of academic types walking around.
Me and another climber spent 3 days doing those two trees and never fired up a chain saw. Were working on a Valley oak that's in front of the gift shop now. The Boss is so stressed out because he wants it perfect, Got kind of pissed today cuz he was trying to call and direct my cuts from the ground.
I got a before picture of it and I'll take one when its done. The sycamore were really heavy with growth almost blocking the walk way. One of them had a huge broken limb that we took out last week with the crane. It's my favorite place to work.

treemandan
I probably have said this before Beasty and I will say it again: From the stories you've told I have no idea how you don't smack a few of these people. Boy, somebody say something like that to me after all that work, well I guess I would have to let them know how bad my feelings were hurt.

With all your years in its nice to see you still put good thought and practice first and care into it.

I use to have a violent temper and fight at the drop of a hat, made me kind of a loose cannon to employers, now adays I don't allow my self to go there. If I get pissed off I just hold it in, smile, then write about it on arborsite.

Latest posts

Back