Project Stumpbroke 3120xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey Stumpy

I like how you do the upper transfers! Your intake and exhaust grinds are laser straight too... nicey nice grinding

Love the snap crackle pop lumpy cam sound of that one

Interesting...Why did Husqy ruin the saws to begin with?

I have a 1996 3120 and it has no electronic limiter in the coil and the carb came with high and low adjustment needles from the factory. It sounds rather similar to your upgraded version.

I cannot imagine that these changes were done to make it more reliable, safer, or to save money on warranty issues. After all, this one has made it for over 16 years.

AFAIK, only the first few years (1988-1989) of 3120s in the USA had H adjustable carbs. Aussie and Canadian saws may have still had them, but they were gone from USA saws. Mine is a 1994 with 12K limit coil and no H adjustment on the carb. I purchased it very lightly used with original B&C!

There is a 3120 on craiglist here in Minnesota right now for$1250. Looks like new, says its still on its first chain. Just thought I would mention it.

AFAIK, only the first few years (1988-1989) of 3120s in the USA had H adjustable carbs. Aussie and Canadian saws may have still had them, but they were gone from USA saws. Mine is a 1994 with 12K limit coil and no H adjustment on the carb. I purchased it very lightly used with original B&C!

Mine is an early one, 1989, it has the primer. No high though, or hole for adjustment in topcover, no clearance for h needle in air filter base or air filter. I've gone thru every IPL I can find (I think all of them) and can't find any different part numbers or the carb with the h. My walbro book doesn't list the carb with the h for the 3120, only all the other versions. Still trying to find signs of the ghost. Besides talk of them. :msp_tongue:

Last edited:
Please, please, PLEASE post photos of the factory H needle showing how the air filter base and air filter are notched around it!

Ok...maybe I'm wrong.

I just went in and looked at it again. The screw ports on the outside look like high & low adjustments, but that would predicate having a 3rd screw for idle speed, wouldn't it? Since I can't find a third needle, I'll write this off as ignorance on my part.

I'm not really too much of a chainsaw-tech kind of person. I am much more of a chainsaw-using expert. That is why I am following these threads...you can't learn anything new if you go around with blinders on.

Regarding the coil issue? I have been told that it was not rev limited. I have never been able to detect any high speed cutout of the ignition, and I have always been lead to believe that it was the later models were rev limited. If my old '96 version is the handicapped version of this saw, it has always been enough saw to keep me happy.

***********************************************************************************
This saw is bad enough that I only keep it loaded with .404 chain. I got tired of breaking chains in the middle of a tree removal. .375 chain just isn't strong enough for this saw.

I had one of the biggest 4 lane streets in KCMO blockaded one sunday, just for a large tree removal. Fully approved with a permit, traffic barricades and detours marked, the whole nine yard of preparation. Get out the big saw to finish the job quickly and PING! The little chain on the little bar (36") broke! It had happened several times before, and that was the last time that saw got any 3/8ths chain to eat.

Ok...maybe I'm wrong.

I just went in and looked at it again. The screw ports on the outside look like high & low adjustments, but that would predicate having a 3rd screw for idle speed, wouldn't it? Since I can't find a third needle, I'll write this off as ignorance on my part.

Thanks for following up. It's hard to tell what's what as for as adjustments go without pulling the topcover and looking closely at the carb. Again though, thanks for taking the time to respond. Now I know.:smile2:

Mine is an early one, 1989, it has the primer. No high though, or hole for adjustment in topcover, no clearance for h needle in air filter base or air filter. I've gone thru every IPL I can find (I think all of them) and can't find any different part numbers or the carb with the h. My walbro book doesn't list the carb with the h for the 3120, only all the other versions. Still trying to find signs of the ghost. Besides talk of them. :msp_tongue:

Primer? I don't recall ever reading any reference to a primer.:confused: Certainly my 1994 doesn't have a "primer" (assuming primer bulb). I have tried to put a wireless tach on mine, and it goes wacky above a certain RPM, and I couldn't exactly tell where, just remember that it was above 11K.

edit: "Search" revealed lots of threads regarding the carbs including the early version with primer bulb instead of choke.

now back to your regularly scheduled programming.....

Last edited:
Primer? I don't recall ever reading any reference to a primer.:confused: Certainly my 1994 doesn't have a "primer" (assuming primer bulb). I have tried to put a wireless tach on mine, and it goes wacky above a certain RPM, and I couldn't exactly tell where, just remember that it was above 11K.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I do want to continue the conversation, so I'm going to start a new thread today with some pics and questions. But I know the early saws came with a walbro wg2 which used a primer instead of a choke. I will post pics of the carb, but there are pics of this carb on here already. Pics of the h needle equipped 3120, well, .....

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I do want to continue the conversation, so I'm going to start a new thread today with some pics and questions. But I know the early saws came with a walbro wg2 which used a primer instead of a choke. I will post pics of the carb, but there are pics of this carb on here already. Pics of the h needle equipped 3120, well, .....

If I recall, the WG-2 carb is the saw builders "holy grail" of carbs... Obtainable, but rare...

Here's a pic of the saw at the gtg wearing a 50" .404.
IMG_20130406_103328_092_zpsf197bede.jpg

And a video
[video]=youtube;xWgyaxVo-pI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWgyaxVo-pI&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

I liked the .404 on it... Pulled like a freight train, and made the best sawdust!!!
Way more than enough power for it...

Me thinks it was a 60inch in that pic... We had to spin 172DL of .404 for that beast! :msp_biggrin:

And I wasn't kidding when I suggested a helper handle with a kickstand for starting it... That thing is HUGE, and Doug wasn't afraid to slap that thing right into wood!

Here's a pic of the saw at the gtg wearing a 50" .404.
IMG_20130406_103328_092_zpsf197bede.jpg

And a video
[video]=youtube;xWgyaxVo-pI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWgyaxVo-pI&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

I liked the .404 on it... Pulled like a freight train, and made the best sawdust!!!
Way more than enough power for it...

It did pull like a freight train, and I think full skip 404 is the best way to go on long bars... You get more life out of longer cutters heads and a few less cutters to sharpen.

I'm personally thinking about going to 1/2 skip or full skip on 36in+ bars after running some skip chains this last weekend. It just clears out the cut/chips so much better and keeps speed since you're not jamming the cut with chips you can't clear.

Back