80cc's+, reliable, used - Your thoughts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I have are .050" bars in 16, 20, 24 & 28". I recently tackled a 40ish" dbh pecan with 60cc's (pics in one of my threads). The 562 pulled 28" jgx fine in a cross cut situation, but there's no comparison to that and milling. I'll stay small, probably not more than 12".

I ordered the timberjig and 3 loops of 72 dl ripping chain from Bailey's Friday 4/12/13. I was under the impression the chain was Out Of Stock, but according to my email, it should arrive Friday :blob2: :blob2: :blob2: Thanks for the saw recommendations. I'll keep my eyes open.

I'll definitely report with pics and/or video of the 562 milling these tiny logs. A make-shift auxiliary oiler will be used as well just for drill.

Try a loop or 2 of Stihl 33RM (3/8 .050 semi-chisel) for milling. I cut a lot of dry, dead wood, and prefer semi to full chisel because it stays sharper longer. It works much better for milling than does full chisel. I think it cuts more aggressively and nearly as smoothly as ripping chain on the mill.

You can borrow my 385xp to see if 85cc is enough. We're prolly 30 miles apart

:clap: That might work. Did you leave any lengths of that monster pine tree you took down?

Try a loop or 2 of Stihl 33RM (3/8 .050 semi-chisel) for milling. I cut a lot of dry, dead wood, and prefer semi to full chisel because it stays sharper longer. It works much better for milling than does full chisel. I think it cuts more aggressively and nearly as smoothly as ripping chain on the mill.

Do you leave the chain as is or modify it?

:clap: That might work. Did you leave any lengths of that monster pine tree you took down?

That one was full of bark beetles and had to go to tree heaven. I'd be happy to throw the powerhead in the truck and meet you halfway (willowbrook area?). My kids go to school in the champions area so I am around there several times a week

I can't really help much here, my newest 5ish cube saw. (89cc) is about 48 years old. The rest are closer to 60 years old. I only really use 60cc for real work. (try using a saw made from 30# of sand cast aluminum and cast iron all day, I would have a hard time running the big IEL or homelite for an hour)

That one was full of bark beetles and had to go to tree heaven. I'd be happy to throw the powerhead in the truck and meet you halfway (willowbrook area?). My kids go to school in the champions area so I am around there several times a week

Ah, gotcha! I hear you on the bark beetles. 80% of the trees my way are pines, 22 are within range of my house! Many (on the back 40) have taken a turn over the last few years due to bark beetles and lack of water. The trees near my house are in good health thanks to flower beds and frequent watering.

I'll probably take you up on the offer for the 385, thank you. Since I know you want to run the 562, we'll do a saw exchange :hmm3grin2orange: It's fun with a 20" :hmm3grin2orange: Or if you just want to come out and do some sawing I've get plenty to cut :msp_thumbup:

I don't want to borrow, use, see, or even think about your 562! With heavy duty medication and lots of therapy, my CAD is in partial remission. Using the 562 would be like holding an aa meeting at a bar:msp_biggrin:

I don't want to borrow, use, see, or even think about your 562! With heavy duty medication and lots of therapy, my CAD is in partial remission. Using the 562 would be like holding an aa meeting at a bar:msp_biggrin:

So what you're saying is you want me to bring a pine log and the 562 so you can cut cookies in the Willowbrook parking lot? :potstir:

Stihl RM right out of the box works great.

:clap: Good to know. If the ripping chain doesn't show up, I'll swing by the Stihl dealer and bend over for a few loops of their $0.44 per dl chain. The last 84dl RS chain I bought was $36-$37.

I DO love Stihl chain though. It's damn good stuff

:clap: Good to know. If the ripping chain doesn't show up, I'll swing by the Stihl dealer and bend over for a few loops of their $0.44 per dl chain. The last 84dl RS chain I bought was $36-$37.

Do a modified Marlof grind at 5 top plate, 50 side plate, 0 down angle and set the rakers with the soft side of a Husqvarna roller gauge and you'll see speed improvements as well as finish. I use this grind with 36" full comp semi chisel with an 8 pin on a ported 394. It cuts pretty quick and takes minimal pushing.

srcarr52, thanks for the information on filing. Do you do yours by hand or grinder?

The Timberjig came in.. Didn't know it had all the " L " brackets and screws. I spent $40 bucks on brackets and screws!!!! 1x6x12's are $10.50 around here, picked up three of those, you do the math :)

EDIT: No ripping chain! It was definitely out of stock.

photo_zps9023b6a3.jpg

Grinder for me. I suppose you could get those angle by using a slightly smaller file but the grinder is much easier.

84dl at my preferred Stihl dealer is $24. 135dl 36RM for my 42" bar was $38.

Stihl chain doesn't stretch as much, and seems to stay sharp longer. Its also harder on files when resharpening. I touch up by hand until a chain needs to be put on the grinder for serious work. The chain needs to be sharp!

I don't have an angle finder, so generally set the rakers to the 10% of gullet width. If your rakers are too low, the saw may bog and chain will be grabby. If they are too high, it will cut slowly and make dust.

84dl at my preferred Stihl dealer is $24. 135dl 36RM for my 42" bar was $38.

Stihl chain doesn't stretch as much, and seems to stay sharp longer. Its also harder on files when resharpening. I touch up by hand until a chain needs to be put on the grinder for serious work. The chain needs to be sharp!

I don't have an angle finder, so generally set the rakers to the 10% of gullet width. If your rakers are too low, the saw may bog and chain will be grabby. If they are too high, it will cut slowly and make dust.

Wow.. 33RM (or RS) 84dl's is $33.99 + 8.25% tax at my local Stihl dealer, so about 44 cents per link.

Stihl chain IS great though. I'll use a mix of oregon lgx & stihl rs until the ripping chain shows up (ten additional days at best).

I made 3 cuts today before the honey do's began. I ended up with 6" x 7" of usable wood which be four 1.5"x6"x8'ers.

Placing the 8.5' red oak log (10" on one side, 9" on the other) on a decline at waist height sure made things comfortable! Set-up took longer than I thought, but this was my first time and I learned a ton. With a log of this size and only 60dl's, the 562 was loving life. I think the oiler will keep up with a 20" b/c when milling. I'm already working on an aux setup in case I run across bigger wood, with a bigger saw of course.

Here are a few pics.

Last edited:
I know I am late to the party but for milling I might consider an old Mac or Homelite (6 cubes). The old reed valve engines have the muffler pointed down for noise, they are not real fast, gobs of torque, reasonably priced, and lots of parts are still available.

I know most of them are "lacking" in the a/v area but they can still be work horses........

Pretty wood! The ribs look good, too.

Thank you!

I know I am late to the party but for milling I might consider an old Mac or Homelite (6 cubes). The old reed valve engines have the muffler pointed down for noise, they are not real fast, gobs of torque, reasonably priced, and lots of parts are still available.

I know most of them are "lacking" in the a/v area but they can still be work horses........

Not too late as I have not pulled the trigger on a big saw.

AS member "HuskStihl" offered to lend me his 385xp which I'm picking up today. Yesterday my ripping chain came in (finally) so I'll see how the 385xp does on the mill with a 20" bar burried. I'm working on an auxiliary oiler for the Timberjig.. We'll see how that works out!

First week of Life...

I picked up a Jonsered 830 but sold it when I found it was ONLY 4.9cubes :laugh: Just kidding.. A newer, larger saw popped up so I sold it and another.

Here's what I ended up with and have used all week... Husqvarna 394xp.

It's been fun pulling 72JGX and RS (full comp) on my 28"er. I would consider it a smooth operating saw. The oiler lays it on with this relatively short bar. I now need a 32, 36 & 42 bar, dual dogs and a full wrap :hmm3grin2orange:

First pics of her:

Latest posts

Back