Saw to Learn Rebuilding With

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StumpScape

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello All,

What would be a good chainsaw to learn on? I have no experience working on saws, aside from using them and basic maintenance that all saws need. Looking for a saw with enough value to be worth the effort, and enjoyable to work on as a hobby. I fear I may have caught the bug from reading your threads. Since there appear to be lots of dead and dying saws around, some quite reasonably priced, I would like to know what particular ones to look for and what might be the best parts suppliers to use.

Browsing around on the bay, I see lots of 031s. They may not be the best saw in the world when you are done, but they are plentiful and cheap. Lots of parts too.

Browsing around on the bay, I see lots of 031s. They may not be the best saw in the world when you are done, but they are plentiful and cheap. Lots of parts too.

031's are prone to ignition problems, I have 4 in various states of assembly. I would second Carl's thoughts on the Homies and include the Mac 10-10 which was produced by the millions over a 30 year period.

Last edited:
The Husky 50/51/55 is also a good candidate, a very straightforward, simple design. They're easy to work on and good used parts are abundant. You'll have a high quality saw that will be reliable and last for years when you're done.

I second the Homelite super XL, XLAO, XL12or equivalent, or the Mac 10-10 series in any variety 1-10,2-10,3-10,5-10,6-10,7-10,10-10,10-10A,10-10S, PM55, PM550, PM700. I am sure I missed a lot in that series, but you get the picture. They built a ton of those saws, common use parts are cheap and available, even overhaul parts can be had. Manuals are all around, plus the help of AS members you can't go wrong!

The Husky 50/51/55 is also a good candidate, a very straightforward, simple design. They're easy to work on and good used parts are abundant. You'll have a high quality saw that will be reliable and last for years when you're done.

What about the 66? This is one that I've been curious about.

Stihl 029. It certainly won't be simple, but if you master it, a large majority of all other saws will be dirt simple. :msp_wink:

Mini mac.....you will thank me later. After cussing it you will save yourself tons of grief and keep the wife happy. I think the mini macs are the cure for CAD. After fooling with it you will cringe everytime you hear the word chainsaw! :hmm3grin2orange:

What about the 66? This is one that I've been curious about.

That's another good one along with the 61... pretty much all the Huskies from that era are good candidates - robust, simple designs. I just chose the 50/51/55 series because good used parts are super easy to find and reasonably priced, there's a lot of aftermarket stuff available as well.

The Stihl 024/026 models are in the same boat if you prefer that brand, lots of parts out there for them too.

There are literally hundreds of good options for a "learning" saw. If you find something that interests you all you have to do is ask here and you'll get the straight hockey on whether it's a good choice or not before you buy.

Mini mac.....you will thank me later. After cussing it you will save yourself tons of grief and keep the wife happy. I think the mini macs are the cure for CAD. After fooling with it you will cringe everytime you hear the word chainsaw! :hmm3grin2orange:

Or a stihl 009.I absolutely hate those things.Like Fish said too a 290,310,390 series or 025/250.the 250 series being pretty bad and the 290 series being completely aggravating.:bang: Rebuilt a 390 for a friend of mine a while back.Ordered Brand new original Stihl Cylinder kit for it off of Ebay.Was listed as a 390.When i got it it ended up being a 310 cylinder.:bang:Last time his Boy seen it after I rebuilt it was sailing through the woods.:msp_thumbsup: I would have liked to have sailed it out of the garage door when I was rebuilding it.:hmm3grin2orange:

Stihl 029. It certainly won't be simple, but if you master it, a large majority of all other saws will be dirt simple. :msp_wink:

Here, HERE! Wise counsel. Tons of parts saws available, lots of picture illustrative threads here on how to disassemble, assemble, and rebuild. To be truthful a nice MS290 cleaned and rebuilt brings more money than some would admit, and they usually have a long life if treated properly. As for the haters, don't waste your time on me. I've already been there and done that, and have a fist full of dollars to prove it. :msp_angry:

Found One

I came across a nice Jonsered 490 and could not pass it up. I paid $60, hope that is not too much. The only problem is that there isn't really anything wrong with it that needs fixing. It runs like a top, and looks almost brand new. A little cleaning is really all it needs, and that only for the grease and dust from sitting in a garage. It does not look to have been used much, a little sharper chain and it will be ready to go.

I will have to find an owners manual for it is all. Seemed like a nice saw for the money. At least now I have something to use while looking for something in the 70-80cc class to play with.

What think you all about this saw?

That should make you a good saw, CAD has set in, there's no turning back now. You will find more saws, many more :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

get a mini mac, best saw to remind yourself to always buy "pro" saws.

Any brand new Stihl should fit the bill nicely-you'll learn how to rebuild it(repeatedly) in short order.:biggrin:
Congrats on the 490.It's one of my favourites and an excellent saw even by today's standards.:rock:

New 490 Rep sent.:chainsaw:

Last edited:
Back