Fair Price for a used Jonsered?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusty Rhodes

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to buy a used Jonsered CS 2165 JRed saw. Has a 20" Jonsered bar on it with no chain. Had a local saw shop do a compression test on it and its reading 125 psi. I had a 20" chain to fit the bar so put it on and ran it in some big hickory and some soft maple. Seemed to cut very well and have good power. Now, heres the kicker, I have to bid on the saw. I asked the guy at the saw shop how much he thought it was worth and he said he would not be willing to pay more that $175 for it as he did not have a market for used saws and did not think he would get over $200 for it in a sale. I was thinking it would sell for more than that. The things looks in very good shape, not banged or scratched up and everything seems to work on it. Bar is in fair shape and not worn out. Considering what they sell new for I just figured it would bring a better price than $175 to $200. Its a local auction, sealed bid and very few people probably will be bidding, but do not want to lowball my bid, just offer a fair price. I personally do not need the saw but hate to pass up a descent used saw. I would use it as a spare saw for our charity cutting days for bucking up the big stuff. Any thoughts on what these saws are bringing for a used price? The family that is auctioning it off says they believe it is a 2009 or 2010 model. I only get one shot on the bid.

The compression is low, if they tested it right. Should be north of 150. I would factor a new piston and rings into your price.

Ted

I agree compression seems low and factor in the price of a chain. If the saw is in excellent condition and just needs a rebuild and chain it would still be worth $100-150 imo.

If it was in my area and i was going to put a sealed bid on it I would bid $226 so i would beat anyone bidding $200 or $225 and if i ended up winning it i'd check the compression with my gauge and if it was 125 i would put a new piston and ring in it (Maybe just a ring) the piston might not need replaced

Very good saw! Comp should be 140+ psi, maybe didn't get a good reading? I paid $225 for one a few years ago and got a deal.

I did not actually see the compression gauge when the guy at the Dolmar/Husky shop took the reading, I am going by what he told me. I asked him to check it and when he came back out from the shop area thats what he said. The saw seems to have good grunt throughout the power band while cutting. Kind of surprised that it has low compression, but I am no saw mechanic. I do not know anyone who has a compression tester so at the mercy of the saw shop. I think I will take it to the Husky dealer that I bought my new saws from and see what they get for a compression reading. The Dolmar/ Husky shop I originally took it to was near where the seller lives not near me. I will have time on my way to work on monday to get another opinion on the compression.

Unless you know the guy at the dealership really well I wouldn't trust what he said the compression was. I wouldn't put it past a dealer to say the compression was low in hopes you buy a saw from him instead.

He could of just walked out back, had a smoke, and came back with a made up number of 125.

In my experience, if the dealers paying $175 he's selling for more than $200. I think $200 is a fair price if your buying in a private sale. At an auction all bets are off. Your typically trying to buy lower than you would at a private sale so you can resell at a profit. I'd roll the dice with a bid of $125.

Dropped the saw off at my local Husky dealer. Said they were really swamped but he would do a compression test on it in the next two days and asked for me to come by later in the week. Advised the family of what I was doing and they were ok with it. Hate to think that some dealers would low ball the compression test but anything is possible these days. Guess there is differences in gauges too from what I have read on this site. If the compression is over 130 psi I would feel better about giving a fair bid on the saw. If not then may not bid at all or bid very low as suggested. If the compression was 120 psi would I notice the low compression while cutting with it? The saw seemed to cut pretty good in the Hickory I bucked. The 20" bar was pretty well buried in the log and it did not slow it down. My brother ran it in the hickory also and he said it felt like it had no problem cutting through it. The RPM's did not seem as fast as my 359 Husky with the same size bar, but the saw certainly did not bog down in the cut. My brother runs a Stihl 039 Magnum which has good torque and he thought the 2165 cut well. I did notice the saw had the fine mesh filter on it and not the flocked one. I do not like the fine mesh filters, they certainly let the fine saw dust through them. Over time I would think a saw ingesting that fine dust would wear on the rings and piston, but there I go again, thinking I know something:)

At 120 comp the saw wouldn't have very good power. So you might be good here.

It should have noticeably more power than your 359, or the 039.

Got good news today from the Husky Dealer I usually deal with. Said he checked the compression 3 times on the saw and came up with 150- 151 psi. He said that was good compression on that model of saw. That seems to make more sense to me than the dealer that said it was 120 psi. Saw seemed to have good power when I cut with it so found it hard to believe that it might need ring or piston work. Anyways, I will take it back to the family tomorrow. Probably put a bid in on it by first of the week. Not sure what I will bid just yet. If I end up being the lucky bidder, I will figure out how to post a picture of it. Thanks for all the input.

I paid a little over 600 for my 2165 and a 20 inch b/c. I would buy another one for half of new if it was lightly used. Mine is beat up and used and I wouldn't take less than that for it:msp_biggrin:
Good luck

I am a big fan of the 2165's. If that saw is as mint as you say I think anything under $300 is a good deal. If I had that in my shop it would be priced at around $500 and it wouldn't last long.

Wow, guess the JReds indeed have some fans out there. I found it interesting that it has an inboard clutch on it. Guess I was figuring all Husky/Jonsereds had the outboard clutch. Does the Husky Version, the 365 have the same clutch setup? Also, I was surprised when I asked the Husky dealer if he had the air filters for the JRed and he said no, that they were not the same air filter as the 365 Husky took. It has me wondering what other differences there may be between the 365 and the 2165. Guess I should find out from my local Husky dealer if he can even get parts for the 2165. Not sure I have ever seen a Jonsered dealer around here but there must be as I know a family near Tyrone that only buys and uses Jonsered saws. I know when I lived in Northern Maine years ago, the JRed saws were king up there. You have me thinking that I better not lowball the bid if I wish to get the saw. I know the family will have a minimum bid, probably based on what the first dealer said he would give for the saw. I do not need the saw. My 359 cuts just fine for most of the stuff I get into and I probably use my 346 XP more than the 359 most of the time. Occasionally I could use the extra muscle of the 2165 and it would be nice to have a bigger saw and a spare for the charity cutting events. I will ponder it over the weekend and come up with a bid. I'm looking to get some money back on a money order the postal service lost but it still has not arrived and that money is earmarked for a smaller saw for big brother so I cant spend too much on this deal.

About the compression/test:
Schrader valve at the cylinder end of the tester must have special, very soft spring, else readings are low.
Low compression will manifest starting difficulty; gotta be pretty bad to show as reduced power.

Good Luck.

Thanks CT, I did not know that. From what I remember, I did not have any issues starting the saw. I started it cold a few times, Once when I got it all cleaned up, and fueled and twice more taking it out to cut up some wood. Couple, three pulls with the choke on then one pull with the choke off and it would start. I should not have made the assumption that if the compression was low the saw would lack power. Just seemed like that would be the case in my mind. What happens when the compression gets too low? Saw just does not start? Are there any other symptoms other than just a low compression reading? Guess I always thought in terms of a 4 stroke, blowing oil and lack of power for needing a ring job. Never thought how a 2 stroke engine behaved with worn piston or ring/s.

I won the bid, $220.00. Pick the saw up monday. They listed the saw at minimum bid of $175. When they called me last night they said it was mine. Only about a half dozen people had looked at the saw. Don't know what the closest bid to mine was. Kind of surprised $220 took it, but a friend of mine said used saws around here are not good sellers. I noticed our local Tractor Supply stores are now selling Jonsereds and not Husqvarna's. A new 65 cc Jonsered is selling for over $600. I will try and post some pictures of the saw next week when I pick it up. Would have liked to have run it this weekend. Cut up three big hickories, one black birch and one oak today up on the mountain with the Husky 359 after the rain. It was beautiful in the woods and in the low 50's. Great weather to cut.

Back