2013 Garden

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Cantolina

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I planted beets, carrots, lettuce, spinach, swiss chard & snap peas in the in-ground garden today. It's a little early for some but won't be much trouble to replant if they don't make it.

did some chisel plowin yesterday. gettin ready but still a little early for most stuff .callin for cooler weather by the end of the week.i've learned not to rush it,but when it starts we'll be gangbustin.

This is the garlic, potato onions & leeks I planted in January:

291478d1366493150-dsc07380-jpg

It's pretty hard to see but there's spinach and swiss chard coming up in this bed:

291479d1366493152-dsc07392-jpg

And I bought one of the small harbor freight greenhouses so I'm experimenting some with that:

291480d1366493156-dsc07414-jpg

Last edited:
This is the garlic, potato onions & leeks I planted in January:

attachment.php

It's pretty hard to see but there's spinach and swiss chard coming up in this bed:

attachment.php

And I bought one of the small harbor freight greenhouses so I'm experimenting some with that:

attachment.php

all i see are red x' blocks?

Last edited:
Most people plant in this area on "Good Friday". Since Easter came early this year we still had some cooler temps and some may wind up replanting. We are planning on getting some stuff in the ground on Monday. Last year we did not plant till the first week in May. The tomatoes did fairly well, the jalapenos were smoking hot, the green peppers were so wimpy they did not do well at all (which is not normal for us). The squash turned into some awesome stir fried meals, and those tomatoes wound up in quite a few pots of home made vegetable soup!

we generally seed May 15-30, I already planted some peas I started in the house and some bare root strawberries I picked up a BJs wholesale club. Last year I put in 4 4x8 raised beds and they fed the local wildlife nicely, we only harvested some lettuce. Once I purchased the materials for the beds and the topsoil to fill them I just didn't have any money left to spend on a fence. This year I have a fence in the works. I scrounged some nearly new coated wire welded fence out of the dumpster at the transfer station, I salvaged some fence U posts from an old orchard, and I purchased 1 roll of 5'x100' wire welded fence ($100). I'm happy I got most of it for free otherwise it would have cost me around $350. I wanted to make the fenced in area large enough to add more beds down the road.

I plan on planting
squash Zucchini, yellow, butternut, and spaghetti
lettuce red leaf and butter crisp
peppers bell, Itailian fryer, cherry hot, and Long hot
peas
bush beans
beets
carrots
tomatoes plum and cherry
corn
herbs parsley, basil, oregano, mint, and maybe some others
watermelon
strawberries
maybe a few blueberry bushes
thornless black berries

we generally seed May 15-30, I already planted some peas I started in the house and some bare root strawberries I picked up a BJs wholesale club. Last year I put in 4 4x8 raised beds and they fed the local wildlife nicely, we only harvested some lettuce. Once I purchased the materials for the beds and the topsoil to fill them I just didn't have any money left to spend on a fence. This year I have a fence in the works. I scrounged some nearly new coated wire welded fence out of the dumpster at the transfer station, I salvaged some fence U posts from an old orchard, and I purchased 1 roll of 5'x100' wire welded fence ($100). I'm happy I got most of it for free otherwise it would have cost me around $350. I wanted to make the fenced in area large enough to add more beds down the road.

I plan on planting
squash Zucchini, yellow, butternut, and spaghetti
lettuce red leaf and butter crisp
peppers bell, Itailian fryer, cherry hot, and Long hot
peas
bush beans
beets
carrots
tomatoes plum and cherry
corn
herbs parsley, basil, oregano, mint, and maybe some others
watermelon
strawberries
maybe a few blueberry bushes
thornless black berries

Dave, unlike other parts on this furum "pics or its not real", on this forum its "not real until we taste it"

I will PM you my address.:jester::jester:

I never get into a hurry for early gardening... There's plenty of time to garden, and i like to only have to do it once! When i planted early, the plants just sat there waiting for warmer soil anyway, and then i had to worry about frost! These days, i work smarter instead of harder!

I'm just hilling up my back garden now, you can see the sawdust/planer chips from my woodshop i dumped on top,

standard.jpg

Then i till it all in, to get the "width" i want,

standard.jpg

I like to leave it "raised", as it works great for giving warmer soil for the plants to thrive in...

SR

I pulled my garlic last week and my potato onions today. I was worried about the potato onions rotting since it's been so wet here.

attachment.php

I thought i'd post some updated picts to my "back" garden picts. above...

I have 4 kinds of peppers,

standard.jpg

Watermellons are doing great,

standard.jpg

I planted a few hills of Yukon Gold potatoes this year,

standard.jpg

Also my two kinds of tomatoes that are my fav's.,

standard.jpg

I also have a "front" garden spot,

The sweet corn is about 5' high right now,

standard.jpg

I also have brocholi, garlic, peppers, tomatoes, beans, pea's ect...

standard.jpg

SR

I thought i'd post some updated picts to my "back" garden picts. above...

I have 4 kinds of peppers,

standard.jpg

Watermellons are doing great,

standard.jpg

I planted a few hills of Yukon Gold potatoes this year,

standard.jpg

Also my two kinds of tomatoes that are my fav's.,

standard.jpg

I also have a "front" garden spot,

The sweet corn is about 5' high right now,

standard.jpg

I also have brocholi, garlic, peppers, tomatoes, beans, pea's ect...

standard.jpg

SR

Nice, what zone are you in and did you plant from seed?

I'm in zone 5, but that's not going to be accurate because i'm in a little "micro" climate right here on my place.

I finally took a pict of my "sawdust" garden, here it is, (squash/pickles)

standard.jpg

I planted about half of my garden from seeds, but i have a friend who grows GREAT plants, so i try to get them from her, if i can...

SR

Last edited:
I guess i'll bump this up with another garden update, everything is growing like crazy......here's the front garden,

standard.jpg

Many of the tomato plants are 6' tall and all are loading up with tomatoes,

standard.jpg

I've been eating brocholi, i have some real nice heads already,

standard.jpg

Here's the grn beans,

standard.jpg

The first planting of sweetcorn is 7' tall and is loaded with ears,

standard.jpg

and i'm are getting nice peppers, here's the anaheims,

standard.jpg

Watermellon plants are loaded too!

standard.jpg

Well, that's it for today!

SR

I guess i'll bump this up with another garden update, everything is growing like crazy......here's the front garden,

standard.jpg

Many of the tomato plants are 6' tall and all are loading up with tomatoes,

standard.jpg

I've been eating brocholi, i have some real nice heads already,

standard.jpg

Here's the grn beans,

standard.jpg

The first planting of sweetcorn is 7' tall and is loaded with ears,

standard.jpg

and i'm are getting nice peppers, here's the anaheims,

standard.jpg

Watermellon plants are loaded too!