What Happened to Partner Chainsaws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure of the 511, but the 490 and 510 was about the same saw as the Jreds 2050 and Husky 49.

Edit; If memory serves though, the 511 is redesigned on the outside, and I believe it is made in Italy.

And what did I just get done saying about you Troll? Proof is in the pudding.

Mark

Not sure of the 511, but the 490 and 510 was about the same saw as the Jreds 2050 and Husky 49 (all 48.7cc, 3.1hp).

Edit; If memory serves though, the 511 is redesigned on the outside, and I believe it is made in Italy.
Yep my manual says it is indeed 44mm x 32 giving 48.7cc
2.3Kw @9000
max RPM 12500.
It has an Italian sticker on it but the actual parts are mostly Swedish, why, I haven't got a clue.
Seems kind of strange to me to make saw parts in Sweden then ship them to Italy to be assembled.

Yep my manual says it is indeed 44mm x 32 giving 48.7cc
2.3Kw @9000
max RPM 12500.
It has an Italian sticker on it but the actual parts are mostly Swedish, why, I haven't got a clue.
Seems kind of strange to me to make saw parts in Sweden then ship them to Italy to be assembled.

They are assambled on what was the Euro Mac factory - I am not surpriced at all that the engine, crank, etc are made in Sweden......:cheers:

About the same is true for the 543, but that one is based on the P5000, while the 511 is based on the P400 (first saw with plastic case) - a huge quality difference between those......

Last edited:
Partner made some real nice saws in its early days, and I was able to add a few nice ones to my collection lately.

here's the C6, the real first partner saw after the be-bo.

C6asmall.jpg

c6dsmall.jpg

a nice running R14T

R14Tdsmall.jpg

a heavy R12

r12csmall.jpg

I also am rebuilding a R11 that needs a few parts. Pics will follow.

Last edited:
Them was some pretty heafty boys back then that used them saws all day long. Just amazing how soft us people have become now.

Last edited:
No question that lots of folks led "tougher" lives "back then," but I also have known many "old timers" who were pretty much physically ruined by fifty yr. old, give or take, from it. I'm almost 60, still cutting and not as capable as I was 20 yr. ago but, so far, I am at least not ruined. It could be a tough way to make a living, even the strongest bodies wear out joints and backs and etc. from running those old beasts of saws. Not to mention tendons and etc. from vibes.

Somewhere I read the history of Partner saws. I just looked for it but couldn't find it. I think that Partner is now owned by E-Lux, Partner 'named' saws are still for sale in the UK and probably other areas. I do not think that they are offered for sale in the US, as Partner ( maybe Poulan?).
The Partner/Husky demo saws are still made. CSW
Use your search function, there's a lot of threads about Partner

I remember partner chainsaws. They were the first saw I remember with anti vibration. Around '80 they were renamed Partner/Pioneer for a while. Electrolux bought out Jonsered/Husqvarna around the same time.
Poulan was bought by Electrolux in the mid 90's. I remember askng a sales rep if that meant they would be using an electrolux motor. When he said no, I lost interest. I don't know who owns Partner now . After they got hooked up with pioneer, or whoever owned Pioneer they weren't considered a proffessional quality saw anymore so I lost interest. When they were good they had the P70 which was 65cc and the P100 that was around 100cc. I remember they were as durable ,powerful and reliable as the Huskies (my own preference) and the Sthils, Which is saying something.

I remember using, I think it was a 55 Partner, that a woman from Switzerland insisted I use to cut her firewood in the late 70's. I was really impressed with the quality. Every bit as good as the Husky's at the time. Good running saw. She used to pay me in ducks, rabbits, and goats milk. My son and daughter grew up on it. She was an expert on herbs. Learned a lot from her. She moved back to Switzerland.

I was in a friends shop and he has a P100 (100cc) that is apart. Don't know what is wrong with it but remember him using it when we cut wood back 20 years ago or so. Are these old Partners valuable for collecting or just for cutting? Also, what is the parts availability for the things? He bought it new so it is likely made in the 80's or perhaps the very late 70's.

From "Husqvarna Group" : Reduce the number of regional and tactical brands. During the year YazooIKees was discontinued and the Partner brand is gradually being replaced by McCulloch.

From "Husqvarna Group" : Reduce the number of regional and tactical brands. During the year YazooIKees was discontinued and the Partner brand is gradually being replaced by McCulloch.

They are restructuring the "production capacity" (factories) as well - they own a lot of them, inherited from the various brands......

I was in a friends shop and he has a P100 (100cc) that is apart. Don't know what is wrong with it but remember him using it when we cut wood back 20 years ago or so. Are these old Partners valuable for collecting or just for cutting? Also, what is the parts availability for the things? He bought it new so it is likely made in the 80's or perhaps the very late 70's.

Sort of a guess, but I believe they probably are too common to have a lot of collectors value, unless they are in very nice original shape.

Digging up Old threads

Sorry for that. I'm new to the site.

Thought I'd ask a couple questions. My grandfather had a Partner R16, it's long dead now, and so is my grandfather. The saw still hangs on the barn wall, and my uncle won't part with it.

I recently ran across a couple Partners at a yard sale, an R16 with a chain brake(my grandfathers didn't have one)otherwise it's the same saw. The R16 works great, but looks like hell!! I love the sound of it, kinda like a big bore 2 stroke bike, when idling. First Question....My grandfather always ran a 16 to 1 premix in his, I've been doing the same with this one, and It seems Ok. Is that the correct mixture?

The other saw was a Pioneer/Partner 5000 Plus Professional and looks like it was barely used! I quickly found it had no compression, hence the low price for both. I don't know how old it is, but it's gotta be newer than the R16. I got them both for $15.00 and as far as I'm concerned
the R16 has more than paid for itself already!

I took the 5000 apart; Crank and rod are OK; Piston and Cyl. are junk!!!!

So I ask all you enthusiasts out there.....are those parts available someplace, or is it worth even trying to repair it???

Brian

Sorry for that. I'm new to the site.

Thought I'd ask a couple questions. My grandfather had a Partner R16, it's long dead now, and so is my grandfather. The saw still hangs on the barn wall, and my uncle won't part with it.

I recently ran across a couple Partners at a yard sale, an R16 with a chain brake(my grandfathers didn't have one)otherwise it's the same saw. The R16 works great, but looks like hell!! I love the sound of it, kinda like a big bore 2 stroke bike, when idling. First Question....My grandfather always ran a 16 to 1 premix in his, I've been doing the same with this one, and It seems Ok. Is that the correct mixture?

The other saw was a Pioneer/Partner 5000 Plus Professional and looks like it was barely used! I quickly found it had no compression, hence the low price for both. I don't know how old it is, but it's gotta be newer than the R16. I got them both for $15.00 and as far as I'm concerned
the R16 has more than paid for itself already!

I took the 5000 apart; Crank and rod are OK; Piston and Cyl. are junk!!!!

So I ask all you enthusiasts out there.....are those parts available someplace, or is it worth even trying to repair it???

Brian

It is very hard to find cylinders for them, pistons are just about the same scarce. I have a few runners that I really enjoy and am always looking for them even though I don`t need them. If you could find a P&C for it it would likely be quite expensive as most owners don`t want to give them up.

It is very hard to find cylinders for them, pistons are just about the same scarce. I have a few runners that I really enjoy and am always looking for them even though I don`t need them. If you could find a P&C for it it would likely be quite expensive as most owners don`t want to give them up.

I see you are a serious enthusiast, re: your post numbers!! Any help or advice you can offer is appreciated!

Brian

I see you are a serious enthusiast, re: your post numbers!! Any help or advice you can offer is appreciated!

Brian

A R16 is the first saw in the R16-family, and one of the few that didn't have an AV system - it is a collectors item at best, but not in the described condition?

A P5000 is a much newer saw (early 1980s), but really needs a larger carb and cylinder intake to perform, even with a perfect P&C. I feel the model is a bit overrated, because of how it performs when modified...:msp_sneaky:

I'm glad someone dug up this thread, cause I learned a lot from reading it. Partners are very rare in my area. Once every couple of years one might wander into the shop. They apparently never had much if any dealer coverage around here.

What we do have are plenty of the P400 based Jonsered 2041/2045/2050 and Husky 40/45/49. (I think that the P400 was the only saw in this family to make it over here under the Partner label.)

These saws are pretty reliable, which is good as they are a bit of a pain to work on. Very good anti-vibe, and kind of quiet to run. I've got a 40, 45, and NOS 2050. (well, I ran it ONCE).

But, here's my question to you Partner experts: I always wondered what was supposed to be screwed into the threaded hole on the side of the Husky 51/55 cylinders. Then the first time I rebuilt a Jonsered 490 I "got it" regarding that hole. In fact, one of my oddball projects is a grey top 51/55 that I rebuilt using a 490 jug that had the bolt broken off in that hole. But what I don't get is that these two saw chassis are otherwise very different, so it seems odd that they could share cylinders. Were the 51/55 ever made in Partner colors? Was there ever a Husky model that actually used that threaded hole? (new replacement cylinders STILL have it) Are there any other crossover models? I'm guessing that there might be some Europe only models that will fill in the blanks here, but I've never been able to figure this out.

Bob look up the 50 magnum in a google search. Rumor has it dealers would get in the newer husky 50's and put new partner 5000 tops on them and called them 50 magnums.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwharrie View Post
Back in the 80's we were selling a Husqvarna 50 Magnum. This saw was created in Charlotte, NC by the Husqvarna Distributor owned by Jim Thompson, The guy that made Husqvarna as far as I'm concerned. They brought in Partner 5000 cylinders and pistons and put them on 50 Rancher (the old white top) saws. These saws were awesome. The first one I received we got out of the box on Thursday and blew the competition out of the water on Saturday at the Races. Back then we had Chainsaw competition's on monthly bases. Husqvarna Sweden made them stop building them in the states. We built some ourselves after they stopped. It was a simple bolt on with no modifying at all. Someday I'll tell you more about the old Husqvarna distributors that made Huqvarna what they are today.

This says white tops. I read in another thread later 50's.

Last edited:
Partner is the leading chainsaw and chainsaw parts manufacturer and distributor in the world........it says so right here......;)

All Partner chainsaw [Outdoor-Power-Equipment.net]

I love any of the 500/5000/490 variants.They should bring them back imo-just for the feel and sound of them if nothing else .:rock::chainsaw:

Looking through various brands on that link reminds me of how far some great names have fallen.:msp_sad:

Last edited:
Back