First Time Clearing - Could use Some Advice / Direction

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just read this whole thread. Lots of good points.

I might have missed it but do you have any sort of liability insurance? And I would be hesitant to use the railroad you could be liable for any damage done to the embankment. Or you could be cited for trespassing.

To me the landowner is getting a really good deal. I'd be a little tough with him at this point. Tell him your terms -- such as all trees marked, the access road may get roughed up etc. OR you will walk. I understand him not wanting you hauling wood out during the height of mud season. But he can't expect the area to be pristine when you are done either.

I just read this whole thread. Lots of good points.

I might have missed it but do you have any sort of liability insurance? And I would be hesitant to use the railroad you could be liable for any damage done to the embankment. Or you could be cited for trespassing.

To me the landowner is getting a really good deal. I'd be a little tough with him at this point. Tell him your terms -- such as all trees marked, the access road may get roughed up etc. OR you will walk. I understand him not wanting you hauling wood out during the height of mud season. But he can't expect the area to be pristine when you are done either.

Nope... No insurance. Have thought about looking into it. Progressive is my insurance carrier... Do they offer it? Or is it special insurance companies? Is it expensive? Not sure how much of this work I'm doing either... Better safe than sorry if its cheap enough...

Ny is high i use td insurance when i was part time i was insured for logging and tree work. Price went by earnings. Under 50k a year was 1900 a year. Dont ask what it is now full time. Makes me cringe.

Haven't read posts other than yours, but I'll toss 2 cents at it..

You got yourself into a mess...... period. The guy that owns that lot is making out like a bandit on your time and effort. I'm not sure how good of a friend the lot owner is with you, or even if he's a friend at all, but here's what I'd do. Tell the guy you made a slight error in judgement (understatement). Next, tell him you need to get a machine in there in order to make REAL progress (since he is posing a deadline). Tell him he is going to have to foot MOST of the bill for it if he wants the job done. In real machine, I'm talking a tracked dozer. Get in there, knock the trees down, and let a good machine operator manipulate the wood into manageable places that will better accommodate what you need to do with it (haul/burn, etc...).

This guy is using you like a tool, and making out like a bandit. You are actually making no money, realistically, and having to buy equipment to perform the task..... and not too well I might add. STOP THE BLEEDING. If the guy won't go for the machine......... WALK AWAY. You're getting killed. :msp_confused:

Haven't read posts other than yours, but I'll toss 2 cents at it..

You got yourself into a mess...... period. The guy that owns that lot is making out like a bandit on your time and effort. I'm not sure how good of a friend the lot owner is with you, or even if he's a friend at all, but here's what I'd do. Tell the guy you made a slight error in judgement (understatement). Next, tell him you need to get a machine in there in order to make REAL progress (since he is posing a deadline). Tell him he is going to have to foot MOST of the bill for it if he wants the job done. In real machine, I'm talking a tracked dozer. Get in there, knock the trees down, and let a good machine operator manipulate the wood into manageable places that will better accommodate what you need to do with it (haul/burn, etc...).

This guy is using you like a tool, and making out like a bandit. You are actually making no money, realistically, and having to buy equipment to perform the task..... and not too well I might add. STOP THE BLEEDING. If the guy won't go for the machine......... WALK AWAY. You're getting killed. :msp_confused:

If he doesn't mark any more trees then I have only 3-5 trees I believe to take down. The rest is getting the wood out and everything cleaned up. I'm pretty sure he wanted more down, but since this is being dragged out, I think he is stopping so I can wrap it up. So probably no need to get a dozer or anything in there. Looks like my brother should be able to work with me this Saturday morning... so that'll help.

This past Saturday was a fairly decent day to get some work done. My brother and a member on AS, Philoshop, was able to give a hand for about 4 hours. I didn't get much for pictures at the start of the day... that was pretty much going over the site and getting a game plan for the morning. I was driving the tractor through the mud and water to carry some sections of an Ash tree (21" where I cut it near the base) back to more stable ground... but on the second run in the mud must have loosened up a bit and I ended up getting stuck. Luckily the truck has new tires / 4X4. We got it pulled out.

8N post pull... And Philoshop snagged my drawbar from sinking into the mud - Thanks again!

8N_Just_Got_Unstuck_03-23-13.jpg

After we got what we wanted pulled out for the day we started blocking it up.

My Brother (notice the mud on the 8N's wheel):

Cliff_Saw_03-23-13.jpg

Philoshop (on left in back) with his dad (in back to the right of Philoshop - in his 70's and still going strong):

Mark_Cliff_Cutting_03-23-13.jpg

I didn't get a picture of Philoshops bounty for the day, but he got about a 1/3 cord.

Here is what I was able to load before I had to leave... about 2/3 cord or so I think.

Load_Of_Wood_03-23-13.jpg

My brother in law let me use some of his shop today and I got this chunk of Hickory(?) squared up... might try to inlay some pictures or something. It's nice to see a semi finished product from a tree you harvested.

Board_From_Tree.jpg

I think we did ok for 3 (4 for the last 45 minutes) of us in about 4 hours. Still a ways to go though - we didn't even get all of what we pulled out blocked up before we had to call it quits.

As a side note... I did the "K" turn with the trailer on the first shot, with no fiddling around, on the tracks.

Not so eventful this week... but I figured I get an update in. My brother was able to help out for about 1.5 hours and I was there about 3 hours. We got a fair amount burned and I left with ~1/6 cord on the truck with a little left on the ground ready to load the next time I'm over.

My brother (wonder if he know I keep taking pictures of him?):

IMAG1841.jpg

What I got on the truck:

IMAG1842.jpg

Some good news and some not so good news.

Not so good news: I'm still working on it with what feels like a ways to go.

04-20-13%25281%2529.jpg

04-20-13%25282%2529.jpg

04-20-13%25283%2529.jpg

04-20-13%25284%2529.jpg

Now the good news: Finally was able to pick up a loader! Won't help me anytime soon, but it will be nice to have. Hopefully I can get it mounted before fall / winter gets here. I know that loader and an 8N isn't then best combination... but for $300 I couldn't pass it up.

04-20-13%25285%2529.jpg

04-20-13%25286%2529.jpg

04-20-13%25287%2529.jpg

I still need to get a loader valve (selling a few car parts on eBay right now to pay for the valve) and figure out how I'm even going to get it mounted, but I'm sure I'll come up with something.

I forgot to mention... I personally have 172.5 hours in so far.

Last edited:
if i were you id list that baby on craigslist for 2k and make a down payment on a kubota or like compact tractor. thats a nice loader and a STEAL at 300 buckeronies

if i were you id list that baby on craigslist for 2k and make a down payment on a kubota or like compact tractor. thats a nice loader and a STEAL at 300 buckeronies

I wish it was that easy. I was actually emailing back and forth with the local JD dealer over the weekend about a 2320. It really is out of my budget. I'm already paying $200/mo with JD... Another $300 wouldn't be a good idea.

Jakers isn't lyin', that's easily $1500 MIN all day. And for one in less shape than what that one looks to be.

What's your secret to getting a deal like that?

Jakers isn't lyin', that's easily $1500 MIN all day. And for one in less shape than what that one looks to be.

What's your secret to getting a deal like that?

No secret really. My old neighbor just wanted to clear out some stuff from his farm. He bought the skid steer that is in the pictures and took the loader off of his Case compact. Figured he'd sell it to me just to get rid of it so it wasn't cluttering up the place.

Arrrggg, I saw the last pic, it came with a bucket AND forks?

Stole it is an understatement. I'm jealous, that would work beautifully on my IH 240 (it's the right color too :msp_angry:)

As I see it, you're ending up with some firewood, an 8N and time in the bush with your boy - ya look at it that way and its not a bad deal at all :clap:

It finally started to dry up a little (still some standing water though). I was able to make a path to the other side of the water. Only I think I loaded it up a little too much on the second trip and went to go up one of the little hills... the front end began hanging and the carry all set down in the mud/dirt. I got hung up. Had to unload and maneuver a bit to get it out. Only a 20 minute set back... had to carry the wood through the mud and back onto the carry all. Decided to call it a day after that trip (my back was beginning to yell at me). Only ended up with just under a 1/3rd cord of Ash for the day.

Stuck:

04-27-13%25281%2529.jpg

04-27-13%25282%2529.jpg

04-27-13%25283%2529.jpg

04-27-13%25284%2529.jpg

And after I got it out:

04-27-13%25285%2529.jpg

If anyone is interested in joining me sometime... just send me a PM.

Last edited:
When I have a heavy load on the tote, I have to back up hills. And pretty much steer with the left and right brakes a lot of the times.

The picture with the hub jammed against a tree looks far too familiar :hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back