Didier splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woohoo!

Got them Shari, thanks! My cylinder is leaking BAD! I'm going to take it to someone today to get it repaired, but the manual was something I was looking for anyway. I read somewhere that this model doesn't call for hydraulic fluid but 10w30? I'm getting ready to check it out now, but would like to ask what everyone else is using for fluid. My cylinder is the one with the nut looking cap on the end of it if it matters.

Thanks again Shari!

Sean

Hi Sean,

I think the manual specifies 10w30 but many of them (like mine) have ATF in them. I would stick with whatever is already in there so you don't have issues with mixing the two.

The cylinders with the nut on the end can be easier to get apart for seal replacement. You'll be much happier after the cylinder is rebuilt.

Well, I 1st posted on page 22 but I'm back.... Finally got my log splitter hydraulic leak fixed. $5 in new seals and it works great. I'm in AZ so don't have a winter need but just had 41 mature orange trees cut down and have plenty of wood to split as it dries out. Here's a pic.View attachment 289605

Glad to hear you have it fixed, labrat444! Sounds like you have plenty of work for it to do.

Purchased this Didier new.

Have been following this thread but could not figure out the picture posting until now.

I purchased this splitter new I think in 1984 and it is original except I replaced the fuel tank after getting it out of the barn it sit in 15 years with out use. I also extended the hitch at some point.
The original motor runs fine and is running in these pictures.

DIDIER LOG SPLITTER MODEL No HB 26A CODE 71 SERIAL No 247003

Hi
I have a leaking piston cylinder and I want to replace the seals
I havent tried to take off the end cap yet but have read the posting and problems hopefully i will find it easier???
However can anyone help with the Manuel and the purchase of replacement seals ???
Thanks in anticipation
ian torr [email protected]

I'm new here and need some help. I've been searching the web looking for info on my Didier wood spliter. I came across this site which seems to have a lot of Info, Hints and Tips. The name plate on my splitter (which is very hard to read due to the light embossing ) has model PB-26M, Code 5-2 SN 257046 and the ram plate is Panther. I picked this splitter up a few years ago for $150. It has run fine for me but now is starting to leak oil at the rear of the ram when the ram is all the way forward. If I stop the travel short of its max forward movement it doesn't leak. Is this repairable or do I need a new ram? Also I need a manual for this beast. I know its old and has seen a lot of use. I've run about 12 cord through it just since got it and except for the leak is still working just fine.

Didier Manual L2000

Thanks for the link. I didn't even think to do a search by model #. As an update, I just received an e-mail from Troy Bilt with a pdf. for the owner's manual and the parts list. I'll also post this on the "L2000" thread. It'll take me a couple of days to get it into a form I can use, but I should be able to pass it along to anyone who needs it. :msp_thumbup:

Can I have a copy of all you have?

DIDIER 20 manual request

Hello all,
Nice to find another great thread to read and use.
I just acquired a Didier 20 splitter with a 3.5 HP B & S engine. The engine seems a bit small for this.
Everything looks to be original with very little use. It has the small wheels on it like I've seen in some of the other photos. Still have to clean it up. It was stored in a dry shed. I'm thinking it would be best to replace the old hydraulic fluid and engine oil.
I would appreciated if someone could lead me to a manual for this nice little splitter.

Arrow13

Arrow,

Click on my screen name on the left. Click on 'private message' and send me your email address and I'll send you a couple of manuals.

PS My Didier has a 5.5 hp on it.

Shari

need help to find part

Hi, All
!
I am new in this site and glad to find.
I have didier MF26 needs brass rail guide that is wear out badly.
If anybody knows where it can be replaced and let me know will be appreciated.
Thank you again.
John

View attachment 302159

John, you can't buy those, I tried years back. Some machine shop could make some, might be pricey though. If I can remember a camera tomorrow, I'll get a pic and show you how I fixed mine -

Here's a couple of pics - The first one was my first fix, 10 years ago or so - I milled the brass smooth again, then made up for what I took off with angle iron. The bolts had to be replaced with something bigger too. View attachment 302383 A few weeks ago, the bolts pulled out of one side, so I welded onto the ram, ran the bolts the other way on that side View attachment 302384 No more brass there, but it'll probably still outlast me. I bought this splitter new, 1978 I think. Most years it did 10 full cords, the last 7 or 8 it's closer to 30.

hi, Mike!
Thank you for the idea and pictures.
Right now, I have switched over the guides to opposite and it barely works. Soon or later, it need to be replaced like you did.

The splitter that I bought used one about 5 years ago from local area for home fire wood. it was pretty good shape. All parts are original include engine(briggs 5hp). it still run like champion. Only ram seal has been replaced by local hydraulic shop(paid $100) year ago and added one more wedge on the top of existing wedge View attachment 302390 this year for splitting big trunks.

Because I have cut off several live oak trees for clearing the road. Some of 27" diameter big trunk View attachment 302391 that was cause the brass guide wear out.
View attachment 302392
Thank you
John.

Just came across this thread, as I was splitting/stacking wood last night and thinking about my awesome Didier splitter. I bought this splitter at an estate sale in 1997 for $175. I knew the original owner (he used to let me rabbit hunt on his farm) and it was not used much and always kept in his garage. It sold for $795 in 1977 (the original owners manual and sales receipt came with it). Quality, well-built piece of American made machinery. I've been splitting about 8 cords/yr. with it for 16 years now. Changed the oil a few times in the Briggs, that's about it.

View attachment 309868

Back