New Member here, possible firewood problem !

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

embers

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I ended up with some free logs courtesy of Hurricane Sandy. These logs were split and covered most of the winter. Even still I have these green dots. Looks like mold / fungus. Do you think there's any concern burning them in a regular insert fireplace. any potential issues with air quality ? I'm going to try moving them to a more sunny location on the side of my house for the warm months to help with the seasoning. perhaps that might get rid of it ? Any advice is appreciated. Thank You.

It looks like mold to me. Moving it to a sunny place will kill it and also speed seasoning. I'm not sure about about air quality, but as long as its good and dry I would use it.

Coming from Scotland where it is basically wet all the time, that there is mold. Season the wood good, and burn it. Don't worry about it just burn away:blob2:

No problem burning it, lots of wood develops some mold as it seasons. If you store a lot of it inside the house it may bother someone with mold allergies, but bringing in a days supply at a time should be no problem..

Ya, stack out in the open as much as you can, air and sunlight will do it good. Get them off the ground, I use pallets on top of railroad ties, just get whatever you can scrounge to do that. Old bricks or cement blocks, pressure treated scraps, flat rocks, small cedar logs or scraps, whatever. You can do pallets on the ground direct, but they will rot a lot faster. Get air underneath your wood and it helps a lot.

welcome...same thing happens to me where my wood is off the ground but the soil is clay and holds moisture...dont worry bout burning it

That looks like the result of stacks covered all around and not letting air circulate. Just think what you would look like if you went through life in a zip lock bag.:hmm3grin2orange: Also you should check out the Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area thread, some nice looking stacks in there.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back