Black walnut possibly unique spots? pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like "bird peck". If you look at the outside of the tree, you will probably see rings of holes where a yellow-bellied sapsucker pecked holes around the tree to drink the sap that oozes out. I've only seen it in walnut trees, but it is common here in Missouri. It is considered a defect, but might make some interesting custom pieces. From the off-center pith, I'd suspect that there will be a lot of tension in the wood. Let us know how it mills out.

Having never milled any 'limbs' on a Black Walnut tree, I am unsure if that is common or not. Usually the sapwood to heartwood has a distinct separation, but when Mother Nature gets involved....everything is out the window and able to be seen once or a thousand times?

What does the rest of the bucked pieces look like....asking about the main trunk of the tree?

Scott (get 'um milled and show 'um off) B

Scott, the main part of the trunk is the same with peck holes in sides. The top I left as a crotch piece and both those looked the same as pictures above. I'll get it on the mill sometime and slice it up.
Mikey

Pic of your mill

I am new to milling and I am setting up an an Alaskan Chainsaw Mill. Maybe my next step will be a small Bandsaw Mill. Do you have any pictures of just your Bandsaw Mill set up?:blob2:

That is a pretty cool mill. Do you have a write up or materials list for the build? Any videos of it working? Galax is a decent hike from me but next time I'm up that way I'd love to check that thing out. :blob2:

That is a pretty cool mill. Do you have a write up or materials list for the build? Any videos of it working? Galax is a decent hike from me but next time I'm up that way I'd love to check that thing out. :blob2:

No videos yet. But I will do one or two when the weather clears up a little.
I have no materials list, but could draw up one for it. I wanted as simple as a mill as I could get to keep costs down and be easily fixed/found parts for.
I have 934$ total in the build. I've been offered double that fur it.
Pm me if u want contact info.
Mikey

The last pic is before I rebuilt with pulley sheave band wheels.. the tires were scary to say the least..Haha
Mikey

I was going to ask you about the band wheels.

That's a cool set up and looks smaller than some of the others I have seen. Some of the areas I would use have access by foot only. That is why I went the Alaskan chainsaw mill direction. How heavy is the trailer and the mill? Is it something that could be hand carried to the milling spot?

PJ

I was going to ask you about the band wheels.

That's a cool set up and looks smaller than some of the others I have seen. Some of the areas I would use have access by foot only. That is why I went the Alaskan chainsaw mill direction. How heavy is the trailer and the mill? Is it something that could be hand carried to the milling spot?

PJ

It may be a little heavy to carry in. The trailer is around 550-600 and saw head prob around 175.
You could easily make a smaller 2 person carry in version. With a bolt together track using angle iron and possibly 3 bolt in cross members. All you'd need to do is bolt together, level up, and set saw head on and mill.
May need as flat as possible area to construct it.

I am actually in process of doing away with the mobility of my mill. My axle just bolts in so it wouldn't be hard to move, if we bought another home. The mobility is hard on my carriage bearings, because I have to strap it down so tight so it won't move.

Mikey

Back