Took the plunge - MK III 30" mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flashhole

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just pulled the trigger on a mill purchase. Bailey's is running a 10% off sale on the Alaskan MK III so it seemed like a good time to do it ... eBay purchase. The only debate was what size. My 394 XP is outfitted with a 32" bar so I went with the 30" mill instead of the 36" mill. Now I need some ripping chains. Will likely order 3 soon but I won't need them until after 17 May when I take some vacation time. Some of the trees I have to work with will max out the mill but it should be a good learning experience. Didn't want to order longer bars for a bigger mill until I have it figured out.

I will post some pics when I get this thing going. Thanks to all who shared their experience on some of the other threads. It helps.

Congrats on the mill purchase!

The ripping chain I ordered from baileys went on back order... It's been 2-3 weeks but should arrive early this week. Get your order in asap. Personally, I can't wait to try it!

Good luck, have fun and take pictures!

That was the debate early on ... 30" or 36". If the 30" yields 26" cuts as advertised when using a 32" bar I have enough mill to handle all the trees I have access to. If the time comes I need bigger than what I have I may get a second one or replacement bars ... or ... another approach all together. The 30" should be pretty handy on the Husky. Most of the stuff I will be milling is 14" -16". I'm looking forward to it.

Got some good ideas watching YouTube videos about how to level a ladder for the first cut and the homemade fixtures that keep it true and fixed in place. Need a good idea for a dog though. Don't like the idea of drilling holes in the ladder and bolting it down.

I got 2 20' lengths of unistrut and cut them at 8' and 12' made a plate that will bolt them back if needed . But i use the 8' most .Then i got some 1 1/2 angle 2' long and drilled a lot of 1/8" holes a 16 penny nail holds it to the log in each corner . Brakes down better than a ladder ,and easey to mount ,some homemade wooden wedges to level up with and windage sticks to get them parallel.

If the 30" yields 26" cuts as advertised when using a 32" bar I have enough mill to handle all the trees I have access to.
Using the stock Alaskan bar mounts, I would lose about 7" on a 36" bar, so that I could only cut a little over 29". The exact loss will vary depending on the saw and the bar.

Bolting the bar directly to the Alaskan gains a couple of inches back.

You can order longer rails for the Alaskan to make it wider when you feel the need. I have a 36" and have 36" and 42" bars for my 394XPs, and have cut 32"+ width, but slabs that width get heavy fast. If your plan is just to cut lumber/beams/cants and your logs are less than 24", you'll be good. Should you encounter a 30" log, you can still cut it by making a cant from it first (top cut, roll 90* and make another cut, repeat..) 70% of a 30" log is 21". If you want to cut live edge slabs, 26" is going to be your limit with a 32" bar. Max width cut with a 30" MKIII is ~ 28".

I really like Stihl RM chain for ripping. Its their semi-chisel, and works great straight from the package for cross cutting or ripping.

Howdy neibor (sp?). i am interested in getting a mill someday myself. let me know if you are milling someday soon i would love to come down and see how its done and give you a hand.

jeep - where specifically in Upstate NY are you located? I'm in Owego about 20 miles due west of Binghamton. I might take you up on your offer to help because I need two bodies to get the stuff out of the woods. :laugh: I will feed you and give you beer!

jeep - where specifically in Upstate NY are you located? I'm in Owego about 20 miles due west of Binghamton. I might take you up on your offer to help because I need two bodies to get the stuff out of the woods. :laugh: I will feed you and give you beer!

I am in spencer about 20 mins from you.

Wind age sticks are simple straight boards 1x2 or so when placed on the unistrut at each end exaggerate the difference of twist making it easey to see . I just use a sticker most of the time .

Arrived from Baley's in a larger plain cardboard box. Delivery box size is determined by bar length. Pic 1, boxed mill with 30" bars. Pic 2, open boxes. Pic 3, assembled mill.

Instructions were easy to follow, diagrams were very helpful. It took 3 beers to get it assembled. Good quality product. Next pics will be on saw.

Latest posts

Back