tips for starting small firewood buisness

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hear is an example; let’s say gas is $3.50+ a gallon, + $2.00 for the oil mix.
I cut big wood so I have my oil set at max output. I run through almost 1 gallon of bar oil per gallon of gas. Shtle bar oil is around $12.00 a gallon.
Plus around $34.00 for a chain. That puts me at $51.50
Since I cut 40” wood and have to noodle it down so I can handle it, I run the saw a lot and it’s a big expense.
That’s only the beginning, now I have to split and stack. So there’s gas and oil changes on the splitter.
Then I had to haul it and spend gas in the truck, plus the days work to get it doen at an average of $100.00 a day labor.
Now I have around $160.00 tied up in just getting and processing the wood.
If I get $200.00 a cord, I only make $40.00 for all that work.

So when we say the profit is low, we mean it.
But $40.00 is better then nothing.

Heck I would buy from you, just cause you are 15 and willing to actually get off your butt, get out and work. That will be of use to you and in your favor as well.

Everything else has been covered plenty already.

Well done on your thinking and drive. Keep it alive you're gonna need it.

Keep your attitude up there will be times when you're dog tired, then something will come up and you will need t o push through it with a smile. Also remember you are the seller, you don't have to sell to anyone. People will try to take advantage of and because of your age. If that happens, smile and matter of fact restate your case and if need be, politely say no sale. Don't be pushed or pulled around by any one, you will have worked to hard for that.

Owl

Hear is an example; let’s say gas is $3.50+ a gallon, + $2.00 for the oil mix.
I cut big wood so I have my oil set at max output. I run through almost 1 gallon of bar oil per gallon of gas. Shtle bar oil is around $12.00 a gallon.
Plus around $34.00 for a chain. That puts me at $51.50
Since I cut 40” wood and have to noodle it down so I can handle it, I run the saw a lot and it’s a big expense.
That’s only the beginning, now I have to split and stack. So there’s gas and oil changes on the splitter.
Then I had to haul it and spend gas in the truck, plus the days work to get it doen at an average of $100.00 a day labor.
Now I have around $160.00 tied up in just getting and processing the wood.
If I get $200.00 a cord, I only make $40.00 for all that work.

So when we say the profit is low, we mean it.
But $40.00 is better then nothing.
yes i understand it will be a lot of work but when your 15 and cant find much of anything i am just as well off doing something i like even if it doesn't pay a lot

I think you'll do alright, you sound fair, sensible and willing to work - that's really all it takes to get a start. Be honest and be on time, if you screw up a delivery or something apologise and go out of your way to make it right, your reputation and your word is just as valuable as your product.

I agree with throwing on a few extra pieces. The problem with cord measurements is that they refer to a stacked pile, and a pile can never be stacked the same way twice. You can stack an honest cord, throw it in a truck and drop it at my place; if i was a picky type of guy I could restack it, taking my time to fit each piece tightly and I would end up with less than a cord and not be happy. Unseasoned wood also shrinks as it seasons, I stack my fresh wood piles about 4'8" tall, in two years when i'm ready to burn they are down to about 4'.

I think you'll do alright, you sound fair, sensible and willing to work - that's really all it takes to get a start. Be honest and be on time, if you screw up a delivery or something apologise and go out of your way to make it right, your reputation and your word is just as valuable as your product.

I agree with throwing on a few extra pieces. The problem with cord measurements is that they refer to a stacked pile, and a pile can never be stacked the same way twice. You can stack an honest cord, throw it in a truck and drop it at my place; if i was a picky type of guy I could restack it, taking my time to fit each piece tightly and I would end up with less than a cord and not be happy. Unseasoned wood also shrinks as it seasons, I stack my fresh wood piles about 4'8" tall, in two years when i'm ready to burn they are down to about 4'.

You have a good valid point, there are some that want just a little more. They will nit pick and never be happy until they feel they got an advantage over you. There to lazy to work for themselves and want others to do there dirty work and then try to screw them in the end.
Stack a wood pile too tight and it takes for ever to season, and yes it does shrink after seasoning.
Every time I pull a cord from an already stacked cord and deliver it, it always stacks out the same at there house.
I like to leave a little air space and not stack too tight, not that I’m trying to cheat someone but it needs to ventilate so it won’t stay wet and rot after a rain.

You will eventually come across someone you just can please no mater what you do.

I get people that say that where they want it stacked is easy to get to. Then you show up only to find out they haven’t prepared a place to stack it and what was supposed to be easy turns out to be a big cluster.
Make them understand that your time and labor is just as valuable as there time is and you let them know “before you even start to unload” that they need to pay you.
Don’t unload and then expect them to pay it after.

And the biggest culprit of this kind of behavior is people that have a lot of money. There the worst cheapskates on the planet.

yes i understand it will be a lot of work but when your 15 and cant find much of anything i am just as well off doing something i like even if it doesn't pay a lot

What you are saying is true, you get what work you can, and it is better to enjoy your work over hating it, dreading going to work.

Liking wood, you can get into doing fine woodworking. Build a variety of pieces, see what ya like. Amazing what rich folks will pay for. Start acumulating nice slabs cut from oddball pretty pieces, get them drying. Develop your own artistry is what I am saying, unique stuff. Bulk firewood will keep you in young guy burn up energy work, fine woodworking will give you something to do inside and during bad weather days, etc.

Or something else, whatever floats yer boat. Think what will be cool years from now, for instance, today, it is easy to see robotics will be a serious now and into the future business.

Buying at a $100 a cord and selling at $175 cord doesnt tell the whole story. You got wear and tear on your saws, splitter, and delivery truck, fuel for saws, splitter, and deliver truck. By the time you deduct expenses how much are you paying yourself for time to split and deliver this wood? Be better if you could buy your stock a little cheaper.

Right on...I've done the math and if I cant get the wood for free, and or get paid to remove the tree, it doesn't pencil out. Put an ad on Craigslist offering to cut people's dead trees down for like $10 a tree and your phone will ring off the hook. Be sure you state that you won't cut any trees close to structures or utilities and have the right to refuse rotten, or hollow trees.

Also make sure you explain just exactly how much a cord of wood is. Most people have no idea of how much room it takes up. Put it in writing on your recipe slip that they are happy with the wood you delivered and make them sign it.
The best way is to deliver to there driveway and let them stack it. You don’t want a pile of wood you stacked to fall over on there children that always want to climb the wood pile and end up in court.
The best way is for pick up only sales, but post a sign that you’re not responsible for any damages in any way shape or form. Enter at your own risk.

These days you have to lawyer up and protect yourself from those that want to scam you.

I applaud you for wanting to work hard and earn your money the hard way.
Not many youngsters are willing to do that.

On a side note, I did very well after I got a steady customer base, and am now grossing over, well lets just keep big brother out of it, shall we.lol
One more thing, sale, sale, sale. Never let an opportunity pass you by without letting people know you sell wood.
If your walking out of Academy and you see someone loading up a new BBQ pit, stop and give them a hand with loading it and then hand them your card.
Never stop selling.

Be vary cautious about adds that say free firewood for the taking. 9 times out of 10 they are looking for a sucker to do a $2000 tree job for a few cords of wood. Then they want you to clean up the debris and leave no mess.

Also standing dead wood gets attacked very quickly with fungus and doesn’t make good smoking wood. unless your desperate only except wood that was fell when green.

Yeah cause you will have that one customer who will be armed with a tape measure when you pull up with the wood. I guarantee it.

That was me when I lived in town. Three teenagers showed up with a big jacked up pickup with 8/10 of a cord. I paid them 8/10 of their quoted cord price. They didn't like it much, but they learned.

I am 15 and looking for a way to get money this summer and i was thinking i could start a small firewood business. I have plenty of cutting experience and a stihl 034. I have 1400 bucks to start the business. any tips on things to help me get started. Like i said i have a good saw a woodsplitter truck and trailer to haul wood with. i would buy it tree length for somewhere around 100 a cord and try to sell it for 175 a cord cut split and delivered. Another local buisness sells it for 195 a cord so i think it would be fair Just looking for any tips or people in the madison maine area looking for wood:D

Starting with your first sale get a name and telephone number.

Develope a data base which you use in for repeat sales.

I didnt read through all of the tips for starting your own firewood business, but here is one from me.

Get yourself a portable credit card scanner that you plug into your smart phone. I make a great deal of money with add ons to the wood I deliver, and it adds up quick. When folks are paying with a card, they spend more. Here is my price list.

Bundle of kindling, and extra $8.00
Stacking, an extra $10.00
Chimney Sweeping, anywhere from $75.00 to $200.00 depending on many factors.
Fire starting lessons, $25.00. No, I aint kidding. To date I have collected $325.00 in firestarting lessons in two years.
And I cant even begin to tell you how many tree jobs I have picked up because of a delivery. Several times I have dropped a load of wood, looked at a tree,gave em an estimate, yanked my spurs and harness out of the truck, climbed, dropped, bucked up, and left them the mess to clean up, swiped their card, and billed right on the spot for the delivery and the dropped tree.

I always carry a bundle of kindling that is kiln dried, my climbing gear, a few ropes, a climbing saw, fuel and bar oil, and chimney sweeping tools are a phone call away. I have an agreement with a sweep where if I call, he shows up and sweeps, I bill the customer, and I keep 25 percent.

To make a good chunk of money, you gotta turn your truck into an impulse aisle just like Walmart. that is where the pure profit stands.

Back