new ms 261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncsawguy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello.

I am about to get a new 261. I have read on here get them to tune it to 13,800. Which I believe the dealer would do. I'm going to get a 16"bar. I plan to get the duals dogs. Is there anything I'm missing. my Question do they make a pre filter for that round filter. What other Part numbers do i need to order. any suggestion or comments. thanks any info will be appreciated.

I'm pretty sure one of the ozzy guys has a "Outerwears" prefilter on his 261, but i have no idea of a part number. Their web site might have info on it. Enjoy your new toy, your gonna love it!

I have had a MS 261 for over two years now - It's a great saw! Be sure to buy the Ultra oil and get the extra year of warranty - although I never needed any warranty service. I pulled the limiter and tuned for about 13,800. I have 16" bar with RMC chain and really like that combination for what I use the saw for. The air filter and filtration overall is outstanding and I see no need for a prefilter. The single dog also works great for what I do with the saw. Now that mine is out of warranty, I have been considering a muffler mod, but I like it so much the way it is, I will probably leave it stock.
Owning this saw and spending time on this forum, has got me seriously considering a MS 441 CMR (A saw I have no real use for), but has more power, wrap handle, Mtronic, dual dogs, Aaarg!!
Enjoy your saw and watch out for CAD.

Bob R

Hello.

I am about to get a new 261. I have read on here get them to tune it to 13,800. Which I believe the dealer would do. I'm going to get a 16"bar. I plan to get the duals dogs. Is there anything I'm missing. my Question do they make a pre filter for that round filter. What other Part numbers do i need to order. any suggestion or comments. thanks any info will be appreciated.

I don't think the dual dogs are needed on that size saw really. The 16 inch bar is the best size for that saw. That saw will need some break in before it really starts screaming good. What you really need for it is just to use it and break it in. mine is tuned at 13,500 you dont want to be too lean.

I have not run a 16" on mine always 18". However I have sold a fleet of them to a local tree guy, all with 16". He absolutely loves them. I would agree that you need to break in before doing any carb adjustments.

I have not run a 16" on mine always 18". However I have sold a fleet of them to a local tree guy, all with 16". He absolutely loves them. I would agree that you need to break in before doing any carb adjustments.

I just got mine 2 weeks ago. I had the .325 rim switched out to a 3/8 so I don't have to change files when filing chains. It came with a 18" bar and I just picked up a 16" ES bar and 3 new chains plus a couple new fancy one piece scabbards.

Anyways Its a great saw, enjoy it.

Even though you might los ewarranty the two best things you can do to wake the saw up and let it run stronger and cooler is gut the muffler by opening it up in half and removing the limiter to tune it to 13,800 which I'm doubtfull the dealer will do the tune to 13,800

I did it to mine and it is a completely different animal after that.

thanks for the ideas. i plan on doing a mm. after i use it a little and make shure no problems. do not want to void warranty. the dealer is pretty good. i just dont want it ti kean whren i get it. i just like the way dual spikes loo thats all. i want to break it in a little before i do a mm. so if something happens i can use my warranty. thanks everyone.

thanks for the ideas. i plan on doing a mm. after i use it a little and make shure no problems. do not want to void warranty. the dealer is pretty good. i just dont want it ti kean whren i get it. i just like the way dual spikes loo thats all. i want to break it in a little before i do a mm. so if something happens i can use my warranty. thanks everyone.

If and when you do a MM you will have too remove the limiter on the carb first otherwise it will be way lean after the MM.

u=i have read about it. i dont know yet. i believe it will be awhile before i do. i was wondering what a new muffler would cost to do a mm with..

Not sure on cost. I spent some time on mine as I heated the factory crimp and split mine in half as it had internal baffle routing and then reheated it back to refold the crimp back over with a propane hand held torch like you would use for sweating copper pipes.

Mine looks factory as it is. If you search MS261 muffler you should be able to pull up some pictures on it. I think there is a thread on it.

i looked at it. id still rather get another one to work on with. i like the one with the deflector. i believe it a husky p/n for deflecter and screen.

Suggest running it stock w/o MM mod for duration of warranty. Otherwise, if something should happen, it'll be all on you to shell out for the repairs. Wouldn't get the double dogs on this size saw 'cause they really serve no purpose; just more pointy things that get in the way and cut your hands when cleaning/maintaining the saw.

A friend of mine just bought a new one last week, were going tomorrow to cut up some firewood. I have a MS-290 that I have, he was looking to get the 290 but the 261 is lighter with just a tad less HP.

Not sure on cost. I spent some time on mine as I heated the factory crimp and split mine in half as it had internal baffle routing and then reheated it back to refold the crimp back over with a propane hand held torch like you would use for sweating copper pipes.

Mine looks factory as it is. If you search MS261 muffler you should be able to pull up some pictures on it. I think there is a thread on it.[/QUOT new 038 muffler - $116. just to give idea... [bc, can]

If your worried about the warranty buy a extra muffler and mod that one

You do not need to pull the limiters on that saw just drill the hole in the center of the limiter bigger about .020 bigger so you can get a allen wrench to adjust the screws on the carb

Try 3/8's b/c you'll like it

Congrats on the saw

005-1.jpg

Does anyone know what the 261muffler cost and/or part number for the muffler. i plan o using it for awhile before i mod muffler. i almost like splitting the muffler making it look like nothing was done. but i would buy another muffler. thanks for all the info.

I for got to ask. i ask my dealer about the 3/8 bar and chain he said they wouldnt recommend it because the cranknkshaft might no be able o take it. but i thing the 325 would be fine. i just need a small saw to do some smaller stuff. i got some big saws for other stuff. what are you guys opinions. only thing i dont like is they dont make a es bar for .325.

Does anyone know what the 261muffler cost and/or part number for the muffler. i plan o using it for awhile before i mod muffler. i almost like splitting the muffler making it look like nothing was done. but i would buy another muffler. thanks for all the info.

$40 to $60

Muffler 1141 140 0612 or 1141 140 0612

Back