Firewood Sellers tool of the future...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought about one of those,

but every year it seems I have a hard enough time collecting from customers.

I wouldn't want to give them the option of "disputing the charges" because there was maple not all oak, or come stack it because there isn't 2 cord there, yada, yada, yada, and not getting paid.

Take Care

Those have been around for quite some time now. Good idea depending on the business you're in. Think of the possibilities if you were a contributing member of the World's Oldest Profession.

Cash is king. No plastic or chqs for me. I make it clear on the phone that cash is required. Never had a problem getting paid.

The bad thing about CC, is the fact the charge can be cancelled. When I had my shop I had a fellow come in from Iowa with truck problems. Somebody had worked on his vehicle and made a mess. It took me about a week to get it fixed, with additional parts but finally got him going. He paid with the CC. I didn't know anything was amiss till my bank statement came and the $2200 I thought was there wasn't. I tried every way I could to fix that mess but he disappeared and the CC co would do nothing. I learned an expensive lesson. Some folks just ain't to be trusted. But then how do you ever know who?

Cash is king. No plastic or chqs for me. I make it clear on the phone that cash is required. Never had a problem getting paid.

Agreed

(Sarcasm alert for those without a sense of humor)

After all, we all know the guys that sell wood are sleazy jerks out to screw the customer with rotten wood and short cords so who cares if we put it to him by cancelling the charges after delivery.

Take Care

Thought about one of those,

but every year it seems I have a hard enough time collecting from customers.

I wouldn't want to give them the option of "disputing the charges" because there was maple not all oak, or come stack it because there isn't 2 cord there, yada, yada, yada, and not getting paid.

Take Care

I have been using one of those for two seasons, this is my third, and have had no problems with disputes. In fact, I found that when customers are paying with a credit card, they spend more money with me with the ad ons. Goes like this.

Bundle of kindling, and extra $8.00
Stacking, an extra $10.00
Chimney Sweeping, anywhere from $75.00 to $200.00 depending on many factors.
Fire starting lessons, $25.00. No, I aint kidding. To date I have collected $325.00 in firestarting lessons in two years.
And I cant even begin to tell you how many tree jobs I have picked up because of a delivery. Several times I have dropped a load of wood, looked at a tree,gave em an estimate, yanked my spurs and harness out of the truck, climbed, dropped, bucked up, and left them the mess to clean up, swiped their card, and billed right on the spot for the delivery and the dropped tree.

I always carry a bundle of kindling that is kiln dried, my climbing gear, a few ropes, a climbing saw, fuel and bar oil, and chimney sweeping tools are a phone call away. I have an agreement with a sweep where if I call, he shows up and sweeps, I bill the customer, and I keep 25 percent.

thought about them for the farm market but just a little to much hassle. i have a sign in the market that reads " checks and good cash" only have lost one sale in 20 years because i didnt take plastic. keeps the bottom line close to the bottom.

thought about them for the farm market but just a little to much hassle. i have a sign in the market that reads " checks and good cash" only have lost one sale in 20 years because i didnt take plastic. keeps the bottom line close to the bottom.

You don't really know how many saw your sign and just kept walking. If you're happy with the level of your sales there is no point in changing, but if you are interested in growing your sales accepting various forms of payment can help. Our daughter had a market stall and started taking credit cards and PayPal and was surprised how many new customers she pulled in. Some people carry little or no cash these days (I'm not one of them and our girls always laugh when they see me paying cash, especially for large purchases).

I have been using one of those for two seasons, this is my third, and have had no problems with disputes. In fact, I found that when customers are paying with a credit card, they spend more money with me with the ad ons. Goes like this.

Bundle of kindling, and extra $8.00
Stacking, an extra $10.00
Chimney Sweeping, anywhere from $75.00 to $200.00 depending on many factors.
Fire starting lessons, $25.00. No, I aint kidding. To date I have collected $325.00 in firestarting lessons in two years.
And I cant even begin to tell you how many tree jobs I have picked up because of a delivery. Several times I have dropped a load of wood, looked at a tree,gave em an estimate, yanked my spurs and harness out of the truck, climbed, dropped, bucked up, and left them the mess to clean up, swiped their card, and billed right on the spot for the delivery and the dropped tree.

I always carry a bundle of kindling that is kiln dried, my climbing gear, a few ropes, a climbing saw, fuel and bar oil, and chimney sweeping tools are a phone call away. I have an agreement with a sweep where if I call, he shows up and sweeps, I bill the customer, and I keep 25 percent.

thanks for your input. ive been sorta on the fence about this for a while now. just signed up and created an account. itll probably come in handy with my tree service business i just bought out

Back