Hwo to get rid of poison Ivey?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle23

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
There is some poison Ivey that is now growing out of control in the bushes near my wood. I have tried to bleach it last year but it just came back and now ther is a lot now of it. So does anybody have any tips on how to get rid of this?

Generic Round-Up Concentrate 1gal jugs at Farm Stores. 41% active ingredients. I use a quart to 15gal water. That's a lot of spray. If less is required, the above post is how I'd go.

+1 on the above. Get it as soon as you can because it'll spread like crazy with the warm weather.
With heavy-duty industrial type, chemical-resistant rubber gloves you can gently pull the creeper vines out of the grass and rub them with the full-strength poison. Pile up the treated creepers as you go and when you find the main trunk of the vine give that another good shot at the base and trunk. Repeat the process on everything you can find and you'll have it in check until the next time. A pain in the butt, for sure, but it keeps from killing everything else with the overspray. Be really careful as you go. Hope it helps.

Here is how I get rid of this nusiance. If the vine is climbing up and wrapping around a tree trunk -- cut it into at the ground level. The upper portion is history.

Now for the new foilage two products I know of will kill it - roundup or generic roundup and the best to use is 41 %. The other killer is 2,4-D which kills anything with a broadleaf.

What ever you do don't try to burn it out or stack it up and burn it. The leaves contain an oil which will begin to float in the air and be blown by the wind. If it lands on a person who is allergic to poison ivy --- too bad.

Don't touch any of your tools that have come in contact with the ivy until you disinfect them -- try rubbing alcohol or ?

Nosmo

I use Technu to wash down my tools and myself if I have been anywhere near poison ivy, only thing I hate worse in the woods is ticks.

Generic Round-Up Concentrate 1gal jugs at Farm Stores. 41% active ingredients. I use a quart to 15gal water. That's a lot of spray. If less is required, the above post is how I'd go.

Round-Up works down through the leaves or blades of plants into the roots. It doesn't affect the trunks or base of trees. Negligent overspray onto other foliage is the only concern I've experienced over the many years of usage.

On tree trunks, I cut a section out with an axe, low and shoulder height. Wait one year, come back, it will be real dry and strip out of the tree fairly easily. Little sprouts on the ground, spray, thats it. Go all around your area and dont let big vines go to seed, it hangs around all winter and the birds eat it and spread it.

the vines and stalks have a heavier concentration of the oil in them than the leaves. I used the generic farm store stuff and I kept hitting the area every 2 weeks, ya over kill but I owed it to that obnoxious bxxxxxd of a plant plant.

I always just grab it with a pair of deer skin gloves and rip it out. I've never had it so I guess I'm not allergic.....yet!:msp_unsure:

the vines and stalks have a heavier concentration of the oil in them than the leaves. I used the generic farm store stuff and I kept hitting the area every 2 weeks, ya over kill but I owed it to that obnoxious bxxxxxd of a plant plant.

blades has the right idea. Keep returning to it if it shows signs of regrowth. It'll finally die out. Same with unwanted shrubs, thorns, and wild persimmon trees. They are hardy, but persistence will pay off.

Sheesh the woods here are carpeted with the stuff. I don't think fly overs with a C130 spraying 100% Roundup would put a dent in it. I just live with it, wear gloves and try and stay out of it as much as possible. I'm in year 6 here and so far no real issues.

I never used to be effected by it but the last few years I have been getting a few small outbreaks of it so I try to keep away from it. My wife breaks out just by reading about poison ivy. She owns a grass cutting business so she gets in it fairly often. We try to spray any as soon as we see it. She got into it 2 weeks ago during a lawn reno we were doing and still has new spots showing up. The doctor told her to get clothes from Sally Ann or thrift shops, wear once and throw away at end of day. Of course it's already too late for that. She once got it on her hands from moving my work boots that I had walked in the bush with.

An old trick that works for me is walnut bark.
Black walnut is best but all walnut trees work.

Put as much walnut bark in a bucket as you can then top it up with water, let it sit 48hrs.
Then put the liquid in a spray bottle and soak the poison ivy with it.
Might have to spray a few times and pretty much every weed near the spray dies and the ivy.

Natural and safe way to remove it.
Ever see a walnut tree with poison ivy on or near it?

An old trick that works for me is walnut bark.
Black walnut is best but all walnut trees work.

Put as much walnut bark in a bucket as you can then top it up with water, let it sit 48hrs.
Then put the liquid in a spray bottle and soak the poison ivy with it.
Might have to spray a few times and pretty much every weed near the spray dies and the ivy.

Natural and safe way to remove it.
Ever see a walnut tree with poison ivy on or near it?

dang, I'll have to look at the walnuts now, closer. Sounds cool....

Do the chemicals kill the roots? I've always heard that you need the pull the roots to truly get rid of it. Wet the soil around the plant to loosen the soil. Put a trash bag over/around the plant and pull gently as to not leave any roots behind. Once the plant free just twist and knot the bag.

P.s.- save the bags of ivy for your next telephone pole fire.

P.s.s.- are we still doing telephone pole jokes?

Foxfire

Do the chemicals kill the roots?
I've always heard that you need the pull the roots to truly get rid of it.

The round-up enters through the leaves and is drawn down to the roots. The roots swell and die.

If you're digging up plants like Thistle. Yep; you need to dig up the entire root.

Back