Mid May 2013 & still burning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crazy danged spring weather...

Well, let the OWB burn out about 2-3 weeks ago and have been using propane for the few cool mornings.

The furnace cycled a couple of times this morning (outside temp was in the low 50's). Got home this afternoon, had to kick the AC on (91° outside, tied a record almost a 100 years old).

Crazy....

Burned the last of the wood for this year, this past weekend during the cold snap.

The OWB will smolder for probably another week before it goes out, which is fine for heating hot water. Supposed to hit mid 80's here today lol.

I don't mind. Anything that keeps the AC off is fine with me.

Now that's just mean... :msp_angry:

Oh heck, I'm just giving y'all a hard time. After all you do live at the New North Pole as was evident with your last winter! I'm just glad winter is pretty much over. Too bad there really was no spring to speak of since it seems we're heading directly into summer.

When I got out of bed around 4:00 this morning, the temps outdoors was 32. It was 62 inside the house. That's a bit chilly but it makes for easy running. I run approx. 2 1/2 miles every morning before going to work (my body dictates the distance of the run) and it was a perfect temp for it. I was sweating bullets when I got done running. You should have seen the people look at me when I arrived on campus on my motorcycle at 6:45am. I guess they've never seen a motorcycle before. :) Or, someone stupid enough to ride when the temps are just above freezing. :msp_wink:

I also run and enjoy the cooler weather. This cooler Spring has made for some great runs, especially considering that in South Louisiana we will be getting those summer temps really soon which makes for a slower pace.

Pretty typical -- I had gone two, three weeks without a fire then I've been burning the last few days. Small split, well seasoned "cook wood" is great for a quick, hot fire in the morning and/or a slow burning "top down" fire overnight that I light the kindling on top of a bit before bed and let it burn slowly overnight.

I suspect after this weekend it'll be done for the year, but there have been years I've burned into the first week of June. Just I got a feeling everything is running about three weeks ahead of a "cold" year.

I havent need to light the stove in 5 days today its going to get 90 and start raining. I wanted to cut so wood but ticks are bad.

Ayuh,
started the stove day before yesterday morning, I love burning wood for heat. All the work that I put into cutting, limbing, bucking, loading, unloading, splitting, stacking, you get the idea. I love it all. I'll do it as long as my body lets me. ;)
Almost started it up yesterday morning, but the temps were in the low 70's, cooler today in the low 60's. Hmmmmm, I'm thinkin' that stove is gonna burn at least one more time..... :hmm3grin2orange:

attachment.php
attachment.php

The only fire burning here is the one in the fire pit. I took a few days off work to get some things done and the weather has been perfect... 70's and 80's, lots of sun. Built flower boxes the wife wanted, put on window screens, got the garden in, ripped out the old and installed new landscaping timber around the asparagus bed, cut the grass, hung the bird feeders, drug-out the driveway, and a dozen or so other odds and ends. I'm stiff, sore and sun burnt... and have some empty beer boxes laying in the shop (more boxes than I want the wife to know about).

I've never seen the trees leaf-out this fast... On Monday we didn't have a single leaf on a tree, Tuesday the temps hit mid-90's, and just three days later... yesterday, Friday... we have full canopy. Just a couple days ago I could see over 100-yards into the woodlot, now the edge of it is a wall-of-green... you can't see 10-yards in. It's mind-boggling to think it was still winter here just a week ago... in less than 10-days we've gone from winter to full summer... bugs, humming birds, chipmunks, toads, frogs, snakes, fully leafed-out greenery, flowers, grass cutting, thunder storms, sun-burnt skin, and children laughing and playing with the water hose.

70's and 80's, lots of sun. sun-burnt skin, and children laughing and playing with the water hose.[/QUOTE]

got really red one day...and have been sweating like a pig the last 4 days..been cutting up the logs i laid in the garden this winter,then splitting and stacking, on top of elevator belting :D...thought i had enough belting...NOPE!!! could have used about 80 feet more!!! should have about 9 cords by the time im done.... def not in shape!!!!!!!!!!:D:D

The temp is slightly above 60 and...

Believe it or not we fired up the wood burner today. Still have some red maple and a little gum left on the old stack. Have some red oak left over, too but don't wanna burn that this time of year.

It's been rainy and damp these past few nights. The SheWolf's weather forecasters are hurting. When that happens, only a warm fire will do. :)

Those in the center part of the country will wonder why I'm ready to light the stove again during the day right now. Struggling past 50s Mid May is nice but sure feels cold.

I just splt some wood which is perfect weather for and left doors and windows open. Inside is down to 58 now. LOL. We should be near 70 this time of year.

Current temps. You can find me on facebook or twitter if you want. I'm a big weathernut.

Temps27_zps3f124f29.jpg

www.facebook.com/WxEyes
www.twitter.com/WeatherNut27

That hot spot out in the middle went through here and then the temps dropped way down to low 60s. Came back up to mid/hi 60s recently. Burning 24/7 every day since. Bit warm right now but keeping the fire going rather than restart again this evening.

Harry K

OWB is still cookin here, 50° rainy and damp. Looks like it'll be the first week of June before I shut er down... like usual :)

I had a fire this morning had to take the chill off

Pretty nice here in the PNW right now in the mid 60's

I like to burn firewood and look at the fire so I had the stove lit up yesterday when it was in the 60's outside and raining but colder in the house. Besides, the cat needed a place in front of the woodstove to curl up - he's been sleeping on top of the cable box to keep warm and sometimes his tail gets in the way when you want to change channels.

Latest posts

Back