Typical number of cords

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mingom

Hey guys,

Wrapping everything up for the season and starting to get wood for the year after next stacked,just was curious what others typical usage is. I've got a woodmaster 4400 heating 2500 sq ft and I used about 11-12 cords, but my system is still plumbed incorrectly ( soon to be fixed hopefully next week)

Again, just curious! Thanks!

southeast Pa

Heated about 1500 sq ft of an old farm house in se pa with a Fisher mama bear on 8 cords this last winter. I have modified the stove a bit which has definitely helped.

I burn 6 to 8 cords myself and sell about 30 more. Keeps me busy. Too hot to split or cut anything new today. Al Gore's global warming is setting in to harrass us all again.

However, my favorite barmaid loved today's heat. :msp_rolleyes:

Right now I just have a fireplace with two heatalators built into the masonary. This past year I burned about two cords.

I just got a Lopi Freedom insert (free) that needed to be cleaned up. New firebrick, sand and paint and it's good as new. I'll be installing it next month so next season I'll be using a lot more wood.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, there's no such thing as typical. Your location, home size, insulation, stove type, quality of wood, desired indoor temp, and about a hundred other little things all factor in to how much wood you will burn.

That said, a dozen cords through an OWB in Maine in what's been a long cold winter (if it was anything at all like here in the Midwest) is not totally out of line. There's probably room for improvement, but whether that improvement will be cost effective vs just cutting more wood to feed the beast is totally up to you.

16 cord heating 6000 sq ft. Cental boiler E3200. Just turned it off this weekend. Stacking wood for 2015-16. Now burning oak for camping I have so much.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 2

About 20 cords for heat and hot water for 2 houses, about 4500 sq feet. I run my Central Classic 6048 year round and burn a mix of hard and soft wood.

Back