Who Would Have Guessed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogsout

Can't Fix Stupid!!
Reaction score
Started on my first 2 trees this weekend to get started on 2014-15 wood for my OWB. Well call me surprised (Not really more pissed off) some one in the last week stole my wood hauling trailor. Now I don't have a big dollar wood hauler my any means but it was well built and would haul a good load of wood down the highway 40 MPH. It is what it is and I won't lose any sleep over seeings how I had more time then money invested in it, but you would think there would be higher dollar targets to get then my darn manure spreader! I posted a picture below to see if anyone on the board could see clear to waste their time stealing this thing. Sorry not really wood related just had to rant a little bit.
100_2690.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That really sucks, man. I feel your pain. Neat idea re-purposing the manure spreader though.

Wood Hauler Taken..

Bump.

Looks wood related to me... I'd print out a few pictures and post them in the stores around your town ASAP. I lost a log splitter the same way years ago and five years later it showed up on a farm auction 5 miles from where it was taken. Never could prove that it was mine. What would be the odds that someone else would make a log splitter and use a 20 lb LP tank for the hyd oil. Make out a police report so it’s on record. I didn’t…

That stinks!

I remember the feeling I had when I realized someone had stolen the tailgate (no tailgate lock on that one) right off of my truck while I was out on the river one weekend a few years back. It makes you wonder why some people do that stuff...and tailgates are not cheap either. I had to pay $250 for a tailgate, another $250 to have it painted, then another $40 or so to have the tailgate lock keyed to my key. $540 was way more than I ever anticipated paying for a tailgate!

I would check your local scrap yard (no offence) but with the rising price of scrap metal there's allot more thieving going on....In my area the scrap yards request an ID and keep a record of transactions so when the police find stolen merchandise they know who brought it in...Good luck...I would think it would be easy to spot and identify.

I have read a few of the responses to my thread and thought I would take a minute and answer a few of the questions. #1 My best guess is that it was taken and scraped also. Hey I know it wasn't that nice of a trailer but it sure worked great for what I used it for. #2 I am pretty sure that none of my friends have taken it but can't say that for certain this close to the fact. #3 I have not called the law yet just because IF someone did barrow it I will give it a chance to show back up. It has been a week and a half, thought that I would give it the rest of this week and then call the police and maybe call 3 or 4 of the local junk yards to keep their eyes open for this in case the dumb a$$ shows up with it. Finally boy would I like to find out who the culprit is and pass the middle man (The Cops) and take care of this myself. I say that because everyone on this board knows that should by some quirk of fate he gets caught it would only be a slap on the wrist , let go and told just don't do this again.

I don't care what it looked like or it's value. My stuff is My stuff and no one has a right to take anything from my property without my permission. Today it might be your trailer and tomorrow, they'll clean out your garage. We have some property north of us and someone took my older log splitter, like you, I thought the guy down the road was using it so I never said anything for the longest time. A year later they broke in to the house and our pole barn. They took 2 five gallon cans of gas and three old car batteries. The following spring our older JD B tractor was missing. If you don't report it, that stuff don't stop and they'll just go to the next place, so on and so on. If you make out a report, the police etc. will know to watch the area.

I hope they catch the $OB's... Watch CL for your trailer....

Hey I know it wasn't that nice of a trailer but it sure worked great for what I used it for.

They may have scrapped it but they may be using it to haul scrap. If so, you'll probably be able to find out at the scrap yards. The fact that you have a picture of it is a big help. Be careful if you find them. They'll probably attack and you'll have to defend your life with a big ol' hickory limb. Remember, they started it. I saw the whole thing! And I'll swear to it in court! Good luck.

Personally, I think you may have already waited too long. The trailer has probably been scrapped by now.
If it was me, I would have reported it to the police right away. If a bad guy took it, maybe they would catch him and hassle him enough so he doesn't do it again. If a friend borrowed it without telling me, he also deserves to be hassled by the police so he won't do it again and you don't have to press charges if the police pick him up.

I have read a few of the responses to my thread and thought I would take a minute and answer a few of the questions. #1 My best guess is that it was taken and scraped also. Hey I know it wasn't that nice of a trailer but it sure worked great for what I used it for. #2 I am pretty sure that none of my friends have taken it but can't say that for certain this close to the fact. #3 I have not called the law yet just because IF someone did barrow it I will give it a chance to show back up. It has been a week and a half, thought that I would give it the rest of this week and then call the police and maybe call 3 or 4 of the local junk yards to keep their eyes open for this in case the dumb a$$ shows up with it. Finally boy would I like to find out who the culprit is and pass the middle man (The Cops) and take care of this myself. I say that because everyone on this board knows that should by some quirk of fate he gets caught it would only be a slap on the wrist , let go and told just don't do this again.

Agree... that should have been the first thing on your list, call the scrap yards. Memories fade the longer you wait to report it. If it truly was one of friends borrowing it you wouldn't have to worry about calling the scrap yards and reporting it. None of your friends would have taken it there, only a B.G. Good luck.

Started on my first 2 trees this weekend to get started on 2014-15 wood for my OWB. Well call me surprised (Not really more pissed off) some one in the last week stole my wood hauling trailor. Now I don't have a big dollar wood hauler my any means but it was well built and would haul a good load of wood down the highway 40 MPH. It is what it is and I won't lose any sleep over seeings how I had more time then money invested in it, but you would think there would be higher dollar targets to get then my darn manure spreader! I posted a picture below to see if anyone on the board could see clear to waste their time stealing this thing. Sorry not really wood related just had to rant a little bit.
100_2690.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I also lost a Manure Spreader from a barn where I didn't go very often. Im sure the S.O.B. took it and loaded it with scrap an left the whole thing. Hope he is happy with it.

I used to build trailers

Actually, I didn't build them, had 20+ guys working for me building trailers for several years. One of my dealers told me that a customer of his had a trailer stolen. The police found it and a whole yard full of stolen property. He was the only person that got their property back because we always welded the year and number on the frame between the tires.

With that number matching the serial number on the title, he could prove it was his trailer. All the other equipment was just that - equipment. You have to be able to prove it's yours if they find it. I'd say your pictures will be very helpful in locating it and proving it's yours. Hope they do find it for you.

Back