placement of owb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve.b

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm am about to install my owb. I am goin to set it on an old 10'x10' concrete pad where I had a dog pen but I have a huge white oak hanging overtop the pad. I have read somewhere sometime not to set it underneath of trees because of downdraft. I really don't want to cut the tree down but will if I have to, so has anyone ever set one up under a tree and had any problems. Thanks

I guess it would depend on whether your unit is natural draft, or forced draft. I don't see the limb being a real problem either way with the boiler burning. The limb(s) would probably die from the smoke though.

Yeah if you have a forced air unit don't worry about it. I have a large catalpa right beside mine and I have forced draft and it doesn't affect it.

I have a spruce tree that overhangs my OWB somewhat. The smoke is taking a toll on it. After 4 years it's getting kind of ragged. I have forced draft, but I don't think it would affect anything even it if it was natural draft.

To save yourself smoke in your face, position it so when you open the door to load it the prevailing winds blow into the unit not out at you.

To save yourself smoke in your face, position it so when you open the door to load it the prevailing winds blow into the unit not out at you.

That makes sense. I've read that on here not long ago and it got me to thinkin'. Wind around here generally blows out of the west/southwest and my door faces east. Since my install I've been fighting the smoke when I open the door. I've got mine setting on 4" blocks, which are failing. I'm in the planning stage of pouring a pad to sit the stove on and I'll be turning my stove 180 degrees when I do to put the door facing west, into the prevailing wind.

Simple solution

What I usually do for placement of wood boilers is to cut a sapling about 10 feet long and stick it in the ground or in your case on your pad with about 10 feet of flagging tape tied to the top of the pole, watch the tape for a few days and that will tell you where the majoriy of the smoke and wind will go in that precise location. trees, buildings or almost any terrain changes will effect the direction of wind. Good luck

Back