Ms660 advice on bar oiler and tensioner.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonMS660

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys, just wanted to ask some advice on the MS 660. I've owned and opperated chainsaws for 15 years however recently picked up a MS660 which I have a serious case of man crush.(thats a whole different story! LOL). I have he oiler set on about 3/4 and when I was inning it the bar realy heated up (just cross cutting) tI pulled the bar off to check it and I noticed the tensioner was not opperating smoothly. I've now set in on full and it seems to be ok now but I'm worried about the tenstioner. The is an Australian delivers saw from Stihl, would you guys recommend that I keep the oiler on max and what about the tentioner. I normally keep my chain snug but not too tight. I've never had issues with my other saws and with the 660 being new to me I'd appriciate some advice from other owners and experienced saw operators.
Thanks

Im just down the road from you, I got mine in Monbulk. Always had a problem with the oiler. mine broke off the stop on the plastic cam or what ever it is called. I took it back and they pulled it apart to show me. It is still turned to max but not sure if it is a Aussie pump or not (read bigger output). They would not replace it under warranty. It is just putting out oil to use cross cutting. I use an aux oiler on the mill. No problem with the tensioner.

Im just down the road from you, I got mine in Monbulk. Always had a problem with the oiler. mine broke off the stop on the plastic cam or what ever it is called. I took it back and they pulled it apart to show me. It is still turned to max but not sure if it is a Aussie pump or not (read bigger output). They would not replace it under warranty. It is just putting out oil to use cross cutting. I use an aux oiler on the mill. No problem with the tensioner.

Thanks Pagie,
I'll keep an eye on it and leave it on high till I get use to the saw. Might have just got blocked as I cleaned cleaned the saw and blew it off with compressed air in the area around the oiler. I'm planning on gettin a Granberg Soon and just deciding on wether to source from the US or through the boys at Cannings. Are you cutting slabs with a Granberg Pagie ? I'd be interested to know how you have found cutting the local hard wood and any advice. At this point I'm planning on a 36" with a 36 pr 42" bar. What part of the hills you from.

I'm between Monbulk and Emerald. I'm cutting slabs with a 36 and a 42 or 44 inch bars. I have 3 diferent mills. One is a one sided mill from granburg. the big one I made and the little vertical cutting one I made too. Not hard to make one. Cost a lot less than an imported one. Come down and have a look. PM me if you want to see them. Cutting the local hard wood is slow but doable. I cut a pine the other day, like cutting soft butter.

Snug for a sprocket nose bar, but very loose on a solid nose bar.

Thanks mtngun, I've always only had sprocket nosed bars. I always adjust them to snug, after pulling off the bar again and setting the oiler on hight there appeared to be a good healthy amount of oil on the chain after I spun the chain a bit. I'll run it today and hopefully all ok. I'll need to get the tentioner checked at the dealer though as it just dosn't feel right. Thanks

Latest posts

Back