Pro MAC 10-10S

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robpm

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
My father purchased a Pro MAC 10-10S about 20 years ago. He died in 2000 and my mother recently sent me his saw. He was a big McCulloch user in his days and started sawing lumber with a crosscut with his grandfather when he was in his early teens and actually fired a steam saw mill for a whole summer when he was 16. His grandfather taught him how.

he bought this saw brand new and it has not had a whole lot of use. I have it now and have found out that it uses a 40:1 fule/oil mixture. I have two Stihls an 044 and an 020. I love them both. The 020 I have used in the tree and out of the tree. I sell devices that measure radiation so the wood cutting is a hobby on the side and I help people out with tree issues and burn wood for the winter.

Can I use todays 2 cycle oil from my Stihl and just mix it 40:1 for the Pro MAC 10-10S or should I use some other 2 cycle oil for it?

How is this saw. Does anyone here have experience with it? I thought that it might make a handy second large saw if I have someone helping me. I read somewhere else that it has some good low end torque to it. I still have some of my dad's old big saws that he had both McCulloch and Homelite but they are a wase away and they are sure heavy and of course have problems.

The 10-10S also had its cover to the oil tank loose when I got it from my mom. I have found a place where I was able to purchase a gasket for it (Carswell OEI) and have done so figureing that the gasket might be bad. I have also found a manual that I can purchase for it as well.

Thanks for any help.

Robpm

To answer your questions, first of all, YES, you can run Stihl oil in it at 40:1, it'll be fine. second, the 10-10 is a VERY VERY good saw, in its day it was a really great one, though its now old and not quite as powerful as most modern ones, it was good in its day. for a 59cc motor, this model isnt too bad. I've got one myself that has an older style clutch cover, but is just before they changed to a clutch cover that covered the muffler outlet as well as clutch and has a chainbrake.

you better believe this saw will vibrate alot, and make MUCH noise. despite those two downsides, its a great machine for a backup saw, mainly because they were made tough and arent easily broken/killed. parts are easy to find too because these machines were sold by the MILLIONS I think.

Enjoy yours and be happy with it.

The Pro Mac 10-10S was one of the latest versions and is a very nice saw, probably the best 10-10.

Definitely keep it, at least as a backup. You might find that it fills a nice nitch between your 020 and 044.

Were it mine I would probably mix it richer than that because of its age. I think I'd keep it under 32:1 Maybe even around 5% if I was working it hard or just to be on the safe side.

I've logged hundreds of hours on dozens of different models of saws ranging from 60 years old to new and never had a single problem running 40:1. :jawdrop: Including more than a few handfulls of 10 series saws.

Lawn Masters said:
To answer your questions, first of all, YES, you can run Stihl oil in it at 40:1, it'll be fine. second, the 10-10 is a VERY VERY good saw, in its day it was a really great one, though its now old and not quite as powerful as most modern ones, it was good in its day. for a 59cc motor, this model isnt too bad. I've got one myself that has an older style clutch cover, but is just before they changed to a clutch cover that covered the muffler outlet as well as clutch and has a chainbrake.

you better believe this saw will vibrate alot, and make MUCH noise. despite those two downsides, its a great machine for a backup saw, mainly because they were made tough and arent easily broken/killed. parts are easy to find too because these machines were sold by the MILLIONS I think.

Enjoy yours and be happy with it.
well said:yoyo: :rock: :buttkick:

coveredinsap said:
Were it mine I would probably mix it richer than that because of its age. I think I'd keep it under 32:1 Maybe even around 5% if I was working it hard or just to be on the safe side.

Why do you suggest this? What correlation does age have to do with mix?

Great saw. Fun to run. I use 40:1 in mine, no problems so far. I use Stihl 40:1 mix most times. Good luck.

Lakeside53 said:
Why do you suggest this? What correlation does age have to do with mix?
I would like to know the answer to this also. I have been told to do the same. A couple of days ago A new member spotted a post I made where I mentioned owning a Mac Wilcat and he PM'd me asking the mix ratio. I then posted the McCulloch recomendation and then the mix ratio that I had been told to use with an older saw. I saw (as in with my eyes) later that you,(Lakeside) had come in after and just written 40:1 and I had been wanting to ask you why you ran that ratio on an older saw. Have I been misled? Is the ratio I use damaging my saw or just costing me more in higher oil consumption?

Kiwi cutter said:
I would like to know the answer to this also. I have been told to do the same. A couple of days ago A new member spotted a post I made where I mentioned owning a Mac Wilcat and he PM'd me asking the mix ratio. I then posted the McCulloch recomendation and then the mix ratio that I had been told to use with an older saw. I saw (as in with my eyes) later that you,(Lakeside) had come in after and just written 40:1 and I had been wanting to ask you why you ran that ratio on an older saw. Have I been misled? Is the ratio I use damaging my saw or just costing me more in higher oil consumption?

Others may jump on this, but the oil that was available when the older saws were built is NOT the same as the oil available now. If you had some of these saws apart, you'd see that there isn't a lot of difference in the bearings and other wearing surfaces between a 40 year old saw and one built last year. If the new ones will run at 40:1 on today's oil, so will the older ones. The big difference is in the oil the manufacturers had available to them, not the saw.

I run all my two stroke stuff out of the same can, stihl oil at 40:1. Only time I had a problem was due to a messed up carb on a new(er) saw.

Thanks to all of you for your responses. It sounds like this is a pretty good saw to have around even though it is heavier than my 044 and will probably vibrate my body a little more.

I have a question when it comes to the mixture for my Stihl saws, I have always used high octane premium gas for them and a 50:1 ratio. It sounds like some of you use 40:1 for your Stihl saws as well. Does this cause problems down the road for the saw and does it not run as well? Of course I am referring to the Stihl saws that I run. I have never seen a problem running the 50:1 ratio. I have had the 044 for about 7 years and I have never had a problem with it. It runs like clock work even when it sits for several months at a time. I always seek to run the gas tank dry when I know that I will not be using it for some time.

Can I run premium gas with the Pro MAC 10-10S?

Just some more questions for you experts out there.

Thanks

Robpm

PWB said:
Others may jump on this, but the oil that was available when the older saws were built is NOT the same as the oil available now. If you had some of these saws apart, you'd see that there isn't a lot of difference in the bearings and other wearing surfaces between a 40 year old saw and one built last year. If the new ones will run at 40:1 on today's oil, so will the older ones. The big difference is in the oil the manufacturers had available to them, not the saw.

I run all my two stroke stuff out of the same can, stihl oil at 40:1. Only time I had a problem was due to a messed up carb on a new(er) saw.[/QUOTE
well said but 2 exceptions a large saw or hard use, hot weather strenghten the oil some line 32:1.:givebeer: :cheers:

I use to run 50:1 oil mix in all my two strokes. untill I started reading post on this site. Now I use 40:1 mix.
If any oil has gotten better or should I say cleaner over the years.
I have a JD60V and on the oil cap it states 40:1 mix using JD oil, All other oil brands use 32:1 Here some pics. Hope this helps with your concerns with your Mac 10 10.

Last edited:
Kiwi cutter said:

The post preceding mine have answered your question (the oils have changed), and as to whether you are causing damage by running more oil in your mix, probably not. If you are getting carbon build up behind your rings, on the piston skirt, in your exhaust port etc, then that may be a longer term problem. Small amounts of carbon on the top of the piston or cylinder crown aren't an issue.

I run all my saws and other 2 stroke equipmen at between 40 and 50 to 1 (I'm not to fussy on the exact ratio, and just make sure I don't exceed 50:1), using a semi-synthetic mix. Any saw etc I repair, no matter what the age gets the same gas. Never an issue.

The only time I'm concerned about mix ratios is when I'm milling. Milling uses the entire tank in my 066 at full throttle with hardly a break every time. I've been using around 40:1, and running the saw excessively rich. My piston etc is is good shape, but I do see a little more carbon starting to build on the piston than I like, so a switch to full synthetic and back to 50:1 may be in order.

Last edited:
Robpm said:
Can I run premium gas with the Pro MAC 10-10S?

Sure you can. It's probably a waste to run more than 89, but certainly won't hurt it. If you are not using your gas quickly, premium is a better choice. I read (can't remember where) that gas looses about 1% of it's rating per week of storage.

I use premium for all my mix gas and choose only gas that has no alcohol.

There are lot's of threads to search about gas and mixes!

Funny how things work out.

It's funny how things work out. I started looking at this thread only because I'm one of those "different" people who have a love for McCullochs although I have had nothing to do with 10-10's. Then yesturday there is an ad in the paper by a guy selling an old Mac so I naturally inquire as to what it is exactly. He doesn't know too much about it except it's old, loud, and heavy. So I go today to check it out and... it's a very good condition 10-10S! Very tidy; nice-unworn Mac rollertip bar; near new chain; starts easy and runs beaut. Then next to it, in the shed I see one of those genuine Mac plastic carry cases, so I open it and inside is a little Mac missing it's bar. It is very similar to the Wildcat that I have.He was out fishing today so I was speaking to his wife and I told her I would ring him tomorrow. I think I will talk him out of both saws. He had a late model Stihl and a brand new red saw (that I could'nt quite see what it was) sitting on the bench. I love it when people decide to move to something new and get rid of their old Macs. Anyway, all of this to say: thanks to all the people out there who answer these threads with their knowledge and take the time and interest to pass on their information to others. The bar on the 10-10 was slightly small though. What would be the maximum I could run?

Latest posts

Back