Most under rated chainsaw????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far for me, any Echo here, and PP4218a.

Got a 4218 a month back, refurb for $94 to my door. Tossed the Torch plug, and gave the carb a quick touch. I worked the crap out of it for hours at a time, for maybe 25 tanks. Just blow the exterior clean and service b&c.

The CJ-8 plug is a bit hot for non-homeowner-woosyfooting use. It now has NGK BM-7A (CJ-6 cross).

Really rips and sips fuel- great endurance strato. The 18" bar mandates frequent chain touch-up with OEM chain. No biggie. Carlton 30LP chain keeps edge much better than OEM.

Friend tried it back-to-back with his Stihl 250. Preferred the PP. Both are heavy on the plastic. If they die in 5 years, get another PP but shell out more $$ to fix 250.

Others diss saws like 455r and pp5020. Not me.

So far for me, any Echo here, and PP4218a.

Got a 4218 a month back, refurb for $94 to my door. Tossed the Torch plug, and gave the carb a quick touch. I worked the crap out of it for hours at a time, for maybe 25 tanks. Just blow the exterior clean and service b&c.

The CJ-8 plug is a bit hot for non-homeowner-woosyfooting use. It now has NGK BM-7A (CJ-6 cross).

Really rips and sips fuel- great endurance strato. The 18" bar mandates frequent chain touch-up with OEM chain. No biggie. Carlton 30LP chain keeps edge much better than OEM.

Friend tried it back-to-back with his Stihl 250. Preferred the PP. Both are heavy on the plastic. If they die in 5 years, get another PP but shell out more $$ to fix 250.

Others diss saws like 455r and pp5020. Not me.

I have a PP4218, paid $20 for it. It was a new open box saw that I picked up at Sears. Reliable and works fine. Figured for $20 why not? But I think I might have overpaid.

Couldn't have said it better.....

The MS260 is also underrated. They get bashed a bunch on AS, but are fine saws. Mine has a 16" bar and with sharp 3/8" chain cuts great. It ALWAYS starts. I've had 3, and I have never had a problem with any of them. So, it is not as smooth or as fast as the small Huskys. It simply seems to me to be less finicky, although this is just a subjective judgement. You can't go wrong with a 260. That being said, I can't wait to see it's replacement

No brag ,but look at my sig and you can see the choices.If I am in a tight spot and need something done that is critical,the saw I always reach for is my ms260 stihl. For years it has never failed me.Starts first time everytime,and has been dogged for years. This saw reminds me of the old pinball or poker machines in service stations or convenience stores,back up against the wall and take on all comers.:hmm3grin2orange:

I think Shindaiwa as a brand is totally under rated. Every one I have ever used has impressed me.

MS290-390 saws get a bad rap but if you look at the number of them out there being run by idiots who shouldn't touch a saw. I think they do pretty well.

Poulan Woodshark- My dad had a used one given to him. It stayed in the toolbox on the back of the truck and always had gas left in it. I'd say on average that saw got ran 3 days a week cutting crap off the roads around his property and lasted 6-7 years without a bit of maintenance.

In the top handle saw class you seldom see many praising the little Echo saws. I have ,,,I think it's a CS3000 that I have been abusing for years. It;s probably my most used saw. I have cut many thing with it that should not be cut with a chainsaw.(slurry pipe, old telephone poles ,rail road ties, roof decking, matting blanket, sheet rocjk etc.) It's beat all to hell and is filthy, but I would bet the farm I can go get it now and it will start is 3 pulls or less and cut up whatever undesirable object I put in front of it.

Any pre-millennium poulan.

Those old cheap junky saws that everyone loves to throw away.... the Poulan [anything].... in hindsight turns out to NOT be so junky and was also American Made.

My mid 90's poulan 2600 absolutely rips with a muffler mod and is very light, much lighter than my dolmar 5105. It's my first choice for limbing or lighter stuff with that narrow 16" bar. Also have tuned a 2000 and blew up a 2300 and they were pretty sturdy and easy to work on.

I'd say the S25DA I have is under-rated by the common man, but around here is respected, so can't really say it fits here.

I haven't run a post-model year 2000 poulan so I can't say if I like them or not.

Husky 350. My only Huskies are a 141 (freebie), and a backpack blower. Not an orange fan. .....but I picked a 350 up expecting a Poulan Homeowner saw and was impressed. I am starting to question my faith:msp_unsure:. I stihl want a 660 before I die, but that's not what were talking here.

Efco

Without a doubt the Efco/John Deere/Cub Cadet 56 and 62. The CS 56 we run, on paper is superior to the 5100 Dolmar, cuts speed wise within a nats azz of a stock 361, is much easier on fuel and has great filtration. These two efco's are grossly underrated by people and underrated. At 299.99 with free delivery from Amazon for the Cub Cadet version, they are a heck of a lot more saw than the big box huskies or 290 or 310 Stihl.

I have a 952 efco and love it. Take it over my two year old 290 any day, but is also a reliable saw.

Ive been using efco 952's for about 5 years now. No problems except kill switch. 3.4 hp 13,000rpm stock. mine will keep up with any 50cc class saw except the dolmar 5100 and more superior modded saws. Its very light and responsive. Dont let the plastic outer shell fool you, they ARE TOUGH! They do take a lick and keep on tickin'. The best under rated firewood saw. Here's mine..:cheers:

I have same problem with kill switches on my 952.

My echo cs360t. It will out cut a 192. Not quite as powerful as a 200t but close. Starts reliably and does its job very well.

Earthquake 38/16......with a MM. Shocking performance for what it is.
I could never have imagined that these cheap little saws could cut as well as they do.
attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 300650View attachment 300649

+1

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

I have all kinds of saws but find the old Echo 280E (little Champ) a beauty. Cheap as chips and great runners. Easy to work on and don't seem to have the coil problems of many of the other Echos.

Last edited:
dolmar 111

i just inherited a dolmar 111 from my dad. he bought it new in 86 and has used the snot out of it. when i got it i opened it up and the piston looks great. a little hard on the pull start compared to the new ones. does not turn the rpms the new ones do but it just keeps on cuttin

Don't know why in the world I'm doing this...

Haven't posted (I believe) in over three years, but I was reading this thread and couldn't pass it up.

Why I'm doing this is beyond me. I'll probably get negative repped for this comment, but no one has said it and I guess I just think I need to stick up for the little guy.

Stihl MS 192t. It has never let me down and we own a tree service company. Tough little sucker. Great, great saw. Mr. Dependability.

Back