The Skidder Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pulled the left side blade cylinder off today... loosing 2-3 gallons in 2-3 hours... when they go bad they sure do it quick...

That's a bad leak on a 440, since they only hold about 5 gallons to begin with.:msp_scared:
Not much worse than starting off a steep hill only to find that it won't pick up oil. No steering, no brakes, no blade, no nothing except the parking (winch) brake...that you don't want to use while moving unless you absolutly have to. :laugh:

Andy

Last edited:
Dodge does great with it. It's really not that heavy, 12,000 lb neighborhood. I highly recomend an exhaust brake though.

Andy

Do you have an exhaust brake on that ? I know Jacobs makes one for the 5.9. I am going to wire the control for the heat damper on mine to use it as an exhaust brake.

Do you have an exhaust brake on that ? I know Jacobs makes one for the 5.9. I am going to wire the control for the heat damper on mine to use it as an exhaust brake.

Yes sir! I have a pacbrake on that Dodge, I'm looking at a Jacobs for the other one.
If I have to haul anything off the hill it's 16 miles of 6% grade, I hate it when I have to go off without the exhaust brake. The last job I hauled into had 2 9% grades to go down on pavement, I don't want to talk about the one I had to go up to get there.
If you need an exhaust brake, I strongly advise going ahead and spending the money on a Pacbrake or Jacobs brake. There is a night and day difference between a real purpose designed brake, and adapting a heat damper to put back pressure on your engine.

Andy

I guess part of the reason for sending that cylinder out is time, and never having done one not knowing what to look for. I don't get home from machining until 7:30 or 8, that leaves 2 hours of daylight to get anything else done and have dinner and wrestle with my pillow for 5-6 hours. Weekends are spent logging for the most part, if not logging then arborist type work or family functions, or the log show... and the hydro supply people are only open Mon-Fri...

Yeah I sent er out, $430. plus. Turns out it has a bent rod, so they had to build a new one out of their scrap pile... got the seals while I'm at it for the other cylinder, its only dribbling though, so with any luck its not in as bad of shape, and I will try my hand at rebuilding that one myself.

With the tire, cylinder, diesel, moving the skidder out there, and hydraulic oil, I should be making money on the next load... I hope... as it is I'm barely breaking even let alone paying down the machine. Those first 2-3 weeks before the first check came in where getting a little rough... Thinking the wifey was having second thoughts as to supporting this hair brained idea...

My usual half retired self loader jockey, should be up and running by next week, so that will save me $75 a load...

I'll be single jacking this weekend so I can also get the whole damned check out of those loads, assuming my knee is up to it.

I paid $450 or thereabouts to have an arch piston resealed and dolled up a bit.
The other side was scored enough to hold a cigarette in the gouge, and I think the rod was bent...and they wanted $1200 to heal it. I thought that was reasonable, but I bought a used one from Heart of Dixie (I think?) for $800...shipped to my door.

I know, shoulda done the rebuild...but the $400 and the 2 weeks saved was the clincher.

BTW, to whom it might concern..there's a 640D Cable Deere in the NH craigslist for $12,500.
If it's a good as they say, that is a bargin.

Oh, and the one I had dolled up was picked up @ my door and delivered back by NH Hydraulics.
No charge.
How can you beat that?

The other side was scored enough to hold a cigarette in the gouge, and I think the rod was bent...and they wanted $1200 to heal it. I thought that was reasonable, but I bought a used one from Heart of Dixie (I think?) for $800...shipped to my door.

I know, shoulda done the rebuild...but the $400 and the 2 weeks saved was the clincher.

BTW, to whom it might concern..there's a 640D Cable Deere in the NH craigslist for $12,500.

i'v bought stuff from them before. I think 1200 a little high, new rod and repack should do it.
that's a good price if she's work ready.

Damn near rolled the skidder today. Was up on 2 wheels dangling by my seatbelt. Little fir got caught on the grapple and kept me from rolling down the hill. I'm a grown assed man and im not afraid to admit i almost pissed myself

Yes yes.. lol

Latest posts

Back