New Ponsee Scorpion...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New Ponses are in the $4-500k range. They can play with all the small wood they want. Thank god for big timber and steep ground!

Incredible machine. Can't dispute that, but I'm with Gologit. Of course, I'm of the opinion that technology development should have stopped in the early to mid 80s so take what I say with a grain of salt. :laugh:

New Ponsse ergo 8w is in the mid to high 500k range same with most high end wheeled harvesters. I venture a guess that the scorpion will be mid 600's when it arrives in the us.

I he been told the komatsu 941 is already in the 6's.

Any way you slice it a new harvester/forwarder team will run a million plus. Unless you go with non leveling tracked equipment. Then maybe 8or 900k

Seen that. Just a gimmick, other than you're looking right directly in line with the booms.
Sure looks cool, have to admit. But if I had CTL on my mind, in my area, it would have to be a leveling tracked machine like a Tigercat 830 or a Deere 759 or Komatsu 450EXL...with a fixed head...like a Quadco 5660..or Rolly-II. Just because of the ground and the nature of the average cut. No clear cuts to speak of, almost entirely thinning jobs where residuals need to be protected.

I can see that Scorpion being the mutts nutts down in Alabama and Georgia where they thin toothpicks by the 5 thousand acre block. The Ponnse is extremely fast.

$500,000 and change... a maintenance nightmare... what kind of payment 10k a month plus probably 50-90 gallons of diesel every day....

no thank you

I'll take my 4 gallons a day and 2-3 tanks of saw gas...

But what about its operator comforts and light foot print lol....that has to be worth about $350,000 right there lol

This is the PNW you really don't need AC if you need heat just work a little harder, skidders got a roof to keep the rain off, or just wear yer tin hat...

And that ole Deere of mine has only spun its little tires 3 times in 4-5 weeks, uphill in mud... still no ruts to be seen...

By the way some local ish tree service "loggers" did a job near here with a shovel, tore it up so bad they had to stick the brush pile on top of their ruts...:msp_ohmy:

This is the PNW you really don't need AC if you need heat just work a little harder, skidders got a roof to keep the rain off, or just wear yer tin hat...

And that ole Deere of mine has only spun its little tires 3 times in 4-5 weeks, uphill in mud... still no ruts to be seen...

By the way some local ish tree service "loggers" did a job near here with a shovel, tore it up so bad they had to stick the brush pile on top of their ruts...:msp_ohmy:

Most skidders and crawlers I've been around have reversible fans. That way they blow the heat away from ya in the summer!:msp_wink:

$500,000 and change... a maintenance nightmare... what kind of payment 10k a month plus probably 50-90 gallons of diesel every day....

no thank you

I'll take my 4 gallons a day and 2-3 tanks of saw gas...

When yer crankin out $15-20k worth a wood a week those payments are a little easier I'll bet. Those boys are just dealing with bigger numbers. I will bet the margins are near the same though. The problem I could see is keeping the wood in front of you. I'll bet its easy to get into trouble really quick.

When yer crankin out $15-20k worth a wood a week those payments are a little easier I'll bet. Those boys are just dealing with bigger numbers. I will bet the margins are near the same though. The problem I could see is keeping the wood in front of you. I'll bet its easy to get into trouble really quick.

that's exactly right. the big guys came and went, i'm still here. only people made any money was dealers.

The biggest i ever got was a CAT 518 Swinger and a 225 with a stroke delimber and a cutting contract on top of that. That isn't allot for some people but for me 5-7 employees is to much. I was much happier just sawing and skidding my own and hiring either an operator or bucker. Man the head-aches---employees wanting draws every wk.,lead man is in jail,people tearin' up equipment,wining about pay,all the headaches w/ trucks,etc,etc. I'd rather work on a micro-crew w/smaller equipment.IMHO.

The biggest i ever got was a CAT 518 Swinger and a 225 with a stroke delimber and a cutting contract on top of that. That isn't allot for some people but for me 5-7 employees is to much. I was much happier just sawing and skidding my own and hiring either an operator or bucker. Man the head-aches---employees wanting draws every wk.,lead man is in jail,people tearin' up equipment,wining about pay,all the headaches w/ trucks,etc,etc. I'd rather work on a micro-crew w/smaller equipment.IMHO.

I have talked to guys that tried to run several crews and the headaches involved. It doesn't sound like fun. I know that a good harvester and double bunk forwarder can crank out 150 to 200 cords of pulp around here. At $100 per cord roughly that the $15-20k. After the trucking and the stumpage you are probably down to $50-$60 per cord. Who wants to sit in a machine all day playing with small wood though?

:cool2: didn't mean to get on a rant. The one thing about being an owner/operator/faller/bucker or a 2-3man gig is the quality tends to hold the margin and you can make a few ball games. Payments/leases have kept me from a few of the kids games over the years. so now its a chain saw for me. That new Ponsee might as well be a space shuttle.lol. Not to steal this thread but whats every bodies opinions on the little harvester heads that Hahn puts out. Whats the best bang for the buck? In my situation it would be used more at the landing than anywhere else.

Latest posts

Back