The Skidder Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was pretty close. I think i bit a decent sized starfish out of the seat cover. Then i took a half hour to quit bein jittery and pulled some more drags

Damn near rolled the skidder today. Was up on 2 wheels dangling by my seatbelt. Little fir got caught on the grapple and kept me from rolling down the hill. I'm a grown assed man and im not afraid to admit i almost pissed myself

I did tell ya bro to buy diapers lol........now ya know why lol

It was pretty close. I think i bit a decent sized starfish out of the seat cover. Then i took a half hour to quit bein jittery and pulled some more drags

Wait till ya get a BIG hitch behind the 648...on a down hill skid and the hitch starts to push ya down the grade... The type of grade that all you can see is sky goin up and dirt goin down lol... that'll put a pucker in you wont forget ..lol

I was yarding some decent sized Hemlock out of steep little hole few weeks ago... had the wife there ya know case I do something stupid and need the coroner... stood the ole missus up on her back wheels just a little bit (2-3 feet of air or so...maybe a bit more...she says 3-4') wifey was not happy... Hel it was only 30' to the bottom...

You have not truly lived until you have rolled a skidder upside down. Been there, done that.
And have had the 648D right to the razor's edge a dozen times. Damn blade won't drop down free-fall fast like the old C5D Twig Farmer did. That fast dropping blade on the Twig Farmer saved my butt several hundred times. The time I rolled it, it happened in about 1/2 a second.
Before I realized it was going over....it was already over. Came slithering out of it as it bounced up and down upside down against a hemlock on a steep bank..and then slithered right back up inside it 2 seconds later to pull the fuel cut off T handle. Couldn't afford to pop the engine!

Wait till ya get a BIG hitch behind the 648...on a down hill skid and the hitch starts to push ya down the grade... The type of grade that all you can see is sky goin up and dirt goin down lol... that'll put a pucker in you wont forget ..lol

or the brakes let go as your climbing in and the machine and turn takes off down the muddy hill. Once the turn starts banging the arch and the back tire of that old timber-jack grabs the caulk off your foot, you're having fun! Thank the lord for the blade.

You have not truly lived until you have rolled a skidder upside down. Been there, done that.
And have had the 648D right to the razor's edge a dozen times. Damn blade won't drop down free-fall fast like the old C5D Twig Farmer did. That fast dropping blade on the Twig Farmer saved my butt several hundred times. The time I rolled it, it happened in about 1/2 a second.
Before I realized it was going over....it was already over. Came slithering out of it as it bounced up and down upside down against a hemlock on a steep bank..and then slithered right back up inside it 2 seconds later to pull the fuel cut off T handle. Couldn't afford to pop the engine!

I agree. Slipped off some rocks into a lil ravine. Next thing I knew I was standing on the door. Shut 'er down on the way over. Couldnt get the blade down fast enough. Was on a 648G. Didn't loose any oil and maybe 1/2 quart of antifreeze. Only thing that got hurt was my pride luckily.

If you only wanted a real small machine for your own 300 acre woodlot, it might be fine.
But for logging as a business, no way. That $55K will buy 50 times more machine.

Yep! He is the boss's tweaker brother! He has to pay him anyway so might as well get whatever he can out of him! :msp_thumbsup:

If you only wanted a real small machine for your own 300 acre woodlot, it might be fine.
But for logging as a business, no way. That $55K will buy 50 times more machine.

We have a local niche market here in montana for thinning out 10- 40 acre parcels. At only 10k g.v.w. it would be darn handy for small stuff. But in my opinion- an ol' clark 662 or ih S7, or ?(as there are a few)would be money way better spent. Just thought it was a nice looking skidder. The tractor mounted winches are o.k. but the production a skidder brings to the table is worth mentioning.IMHO:cheers:

We have a local niche market here in montana for thinning out 10- 40 acre parcels. At only 10k g.v.w. it would be darn handy for small stuff. But in my opinion- an ol' clark 662 or ih S7, or ?(as there are a few)would be money way better spent. Just thought it was a nice looking skidder. The tractor mounted winches are o.k. but the production a skidder brings to the table is worth mentioning.IMHO:cheers:

664 or s8 be better imo, both very good machines

664 or s8 be better imo, both very good machines

i agree, but what are ther g.v.w.'s? No lowboy fee's allowed in this market. the IH S8 is a damn good skidder! and the 664 is hard to beat also. They will both pull the guts out of a JD 540,IMHO. Or the little 240 Timberjack, or Mountain Logger 150 would be good also. I think John Deere might have it in the "easy to get parts" section.

Last edited:
That little skidder looks woefully under powered and more than a little tippy, just my opinion...

A Garrett 10 or 15 would pull better and they weigh in around 7-8k

The old Deere 440's are about 12K.

Ran an old Mt logger many years ago, Twas a working machine though.

heard very good things about the clarks but I think they are kinda heavy...

For the price of one of them fancy little guys you could get one of each and a matching parts machine...

Back